Changes vs Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Big game, I would like the changes to a minimum. I'll go for:

Out: Davey (susp), Winderlich (did nothing barring 3 goals in the third term)
In: Reimers, Welsh

Is Davey likely to go? Replay proved he pulled out and Montagna's outstretched fist made contact with his own face. Davey could definitely argue he had him lined up but then made the best effort to pull out of the contact.

Ditto thoughts on Winderlich but I think he might stay in the team now. I know Welsh can come in and try to do another shutdown job on Judd but I'm unsure of how he's performed in the VFL thus far. Tempted to keep him there another week before considering selection.

Reimers would be a logical replacement for Davey if suspended.

Assuming Hille and Slattery aren't ready... no changes.

Don't think Davey will be suspended.
I'd consider Winders as sub and Davey in the run-on side.
Thought NLM was solid.

My issue is Hille and Bellchambers. T-Bell is in awesome form.

Wonder if we can drop Hardingham, play Ryder back, Hille forward and keep T-Bell?

...another consideration might be McVeigh who seemed quiet. Was he tagging someone? Dal Santo?

I thought Winderlich was pretty good. He creates a lot of forward pressure and knows that he needs to not jump in packs for the ball, he is always waiting for the ball at ground level. Very importantly 9 times out of 10 he will keep his feet at the contest. Something Monfries could really learn from.

Speaking of Monfries I thought he was really disappointing yesterday. He really didn't do much at all. I understand he missed last week but he looked way too underdone for my liking.

I'd only like to make the one change pending suspensions and injuries and that would be:

Out: Monfries
In: Reimers

Reimers loves Carlton and he has now had two BOG's in the seconds to get his chance against them this week. He showed hardness at the contest against North Ballarat on Saturday and wasn't afraid to take the game on. Also showed poise under pressure and his disposal was excellent in the strong breeze.

Welsh should play a couple more games in the VFL before earning an AFL recall. He impressed me against North Ballarat also and showed that he is not too far away.

It is a tough call if Hille is fit

Do you play Hille and Bellchambers in the ruck and leave Paddy as a permanent forward or does that make us too top heavy? Supposed to be a few showers on saturday clearing.

Keep the same side as much as possible, Riemers is too flaky, Welsh always gives away silly free kicks to Judd and is underdone

It is a tough call if Hille is fit

Do you play Hille and Bellchambers in the ruck and leave Paddy as a permanent forward or does that make us too top heavy? Supposed to be a few showers on saturday clearing.

Keep the same side as much as possible, Riemers is too flaky, Welsh always gives away silly free kicks to Judd and is underdone

Hille and T-Bell rotate ruck duties and float forward when needed. Ryder goes back. He and Hurley alternate forward and back. Why not?

Hocking to Judd?
Lonergan to Judd?
Howlett to Judd?

I want both Hille and Reimers in, and have no issue about playing 3 ruckmen, but for the life of me cannot work out who to drop/leave out. Lovett-Murray is close for mine, didn't do a whole lot wrong yesterday (really, did anyone?) but didn't contribute a whole lot either. Probably doesn't deserve to be dropped, yet I would prefer Reimers in the side ahead of him - probably won't happen.

Monfries very quiet, but he gets a pass due to coming off an injury and being subbed off. Winderlich and Zaha both on notice, can't drop either of them having kicked 3 each and Zaha could've kicked about 5, but I just don't think they are contributing as much as they should be given their capabilities. Also would like to see Colyer in the side sooner rather than later, but again, noone to leave out?

After all that, I'd go IN: Reimers OUT: Lovett-Murray but I'm predicting no change.

How do you discuss changes after a win like that and a season start like we have had?

If not for dodgy dodgy umpiring we would be 3-0 against 2 of last years top four and a finalist.. awesome display!

Only person who could convince me to change the line up would be if Hille is 100% fit. He was explosive in Rnd 1 and looked to be back to top form.

I would be looking to drop NLM and keep the three ruck men in. NLM didn't do a lot wrong.. but I just don't see him being part of our premiership side.

Monfries will be better for the run and davey shouldn't go for that.

Reimers should be next up to bat but I don't know any smalls who don't deserve their spot. It is a great great feeling to have.

There are some seriously dumb people already posting in this thread.
Wonder if we can drop Hardingham, play Ryder back, Hille forward and keep T-Bell?

Prime example. Here's another one just so you don't have to strain that brain cell of yours.

Wonder if we can drop watson, play hurley back and have welsh and reimers in the side?

Barring injury and suspension then no change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing 3 ruckmen in Hille, T-bell and Ryder should be no problem, if looked at from another angle it could actually work in our favour, playing all 3 could expose their weak defence.

Something the Saints should have done after we lost Myers.

Out: Melksham (if injured) Davey (if suspended)
In: Riemers Welsh

If Davey somehow gets harshly rubbed out via the tribunal then Reimers is the obvious inclusion and who knows, if Hille has overcome his soreness NLM may be unlucky.

Ideally though I'd love for there to be no changes. They all deserve their spot against Carlton.

Hille is the only one who comes into the side if fit. Playing 3 rucks could really stretch their suspect defense, although it also means we have one less runner. It could make us top-heavy. :confused:

Reimers and Hille are the only two I'd consider bringing in, but the need for Hille won't be great against two medicore ruckmen in Hampson and Warnock.

Therefore I'd let Hille rest for another week.

Reimers I would bring in for either Davey if suspended, Monfries, or perhaps NLM.

Reimers and Hille are the only two I'd consider bringing in, but the need for Hille won't be great against to medicore ruckmen in Hampson and Warnock.

Therefore I'd let Hille rest for another week.

Reimers I would bring in for either Davey if suspended, Monfries, or perhaps NLM.

Agreed, get him ready for the ANZAC day game.

Did anyone hear that Melksham copped a heavy knock and might be sidelined for next weeks game ?

Re the three "ruckmen"

I think we need to play all three of Ryder, Hille and Bellchambers. I am wih everyone else who says that Ryder should play as a forward and that Hille and TBell can rotate between deep forwardand ruck.

We also need to condiser that the Warnock/Hamspon duo is actually quite dangerous and probably can't be quelled by a virtually solo effort from TBell.

I have a problem with Gus and it is not that I don't like him, far from it, it is that I don't see a spot in the side for him. I respect his work as a lead up target and defensive forward but am quite convinced that it is rendered redundant by the abilities of Gumbleton and Ryder, in particular, and the emergence of Crameri as a very good footballer.

Out: Monfries (om)
In: Hille

In a perfect world after what I viewed as a breakdown of our half forward line against WB, Gumby replaced Gus and played CHF. Given that Gus is not gifted wth explosive pace we are not loosing any mobility by including Gumbleton or Ryder - I'd go as far as saying that it is actually increased. Obviously, Gumby is on ice for another few weeks/months but Ryder is again a perfect substitute. With a slight reshuffle Hurley and Hille/TBell share the deep forward positions with Ryder acting as a true CFH.

I didn't see anything compelling from Gus against St Kilda so it may be back to the drawing board for the number 6. Can we swap Davey for Gus? Is Gus capable of applying the same sort of pressure?

Out: Davey (sus)
In: Reimers

I also don't see how Davey is not getting suspended. He may have tried to pull out but he jumped into Montagna and it is quite irrelevant that it was Montagna's hand that did the damage. Davey had no business jumping into another player like that (except maybe if he was taking on Sandilands).

Re NLM:

Again it is NLM on the chopping black. Again I don't get it. He just adds so many different dimensions to our team including extra pace and in and udner ability. A few BB posters were asking about a tagger for Judd. NLM could be a really effective tagger because he is big, fast and aggressive. I don't think it guarantees him a spot in the side every week but it is another position he can play.

NLM is the most important footballer at our club. I'd trade Hurley and Watson just to keep him.

(possible man crush)

In all seriousness, if Gumby's injured and not ready then it really does open up the possibility of a 3rd ruckman. Although, essentially it's two ruckmen: Hille and Tbell. Ryder would be that roaming CHF type. A third tall gives us flexibility to throw either Hurley back as FB (when our KPBs are underperforming) or Ryder down back (as that 3rd tall or loose man in defence).

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes vs Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back