Fixture Changes VS Carlton Round 9 - The Liam Jones Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d be bringing Cleary into the 22 and leaving McNeil as sub.

Cleary as the 7th defender and CD into the midfield replacing Treloars role with support from Smith and McRae.

Cleary can play a hybrid role of defence and wing if we need some midfield minutes from Williams or Scott.

In: Cleary
Out: Treloar
23rd: McNeil

Wouldn't be making many changes. McNeil into the 22 for Treloar and then take your pick for sub. Don't think McLean should be the sub, don't think he offers enough. Would choose West personally.

Am interested in what the defensive matchups will be. Don't like Gardner on either of the main guys. Think Jones has to go on Curnow (his form is too extraordinary at the moment and needs our best defender), then I guess Keath to McKay and Gardner to Silvagni/resting Pittonet.

Jamarra on 7 news said he has sore adductor.

Maybe Bruce takes his spot?

If JUH misses and Bruce needs more time I would almost condsider playing Sweet.

Playing Sweet would enable English to spend time forward.

Sweet goes more than okay in terms of tap work and he and Lade have helped English in that area.

Sweet goes more than okay in terms of tap work and he and Lade have helped English in that area.
Buku should be next in line if JUH misses

Could Bailey Williams be worth a try in Treloars role?

Not quite as quick but he has that ability to win it at the contest and break away, he has been playing well so his confidence is up. I think he has the ability, not sure any alternatives in the reserves have the talent he does. Scott can move to wing, McNeil in 22 and Toby sub.

The ‘sore’ adductor worries me more than an actual groin injury. That would have to be the 5th or 6th player with that so far. Weightman, Smith, Bedendo, Garcia? English?
That Skinners Reserve playing surface is as hard as rock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't be making many changes. McNeil into the 22 for Treloar and then take your pick for sub. Don't think McLean should be the sub, don't think he offers enough. Would choose West personally.

Am interested in what the defensive matchups will be. Don't like Gardner on either of the main guys. Think Jones has to go on Curnow (his form is too extraordinary at the moment and needs our best defender), then I guess Keath to McKay and Gardner to Silvagni/resting Pittonet.
I agree with the Jones/Keath match ups but If Gardners only taking a 3rd tall surely there’s no point playing him? Needs to lockdown on a key tall to justify his spot IMO.

I wonder if Bruce comes straight back in, only missed 3 weeks so shouldn’t be too rusty if he’s fit

Playing Jordan Sweet in the middle instead of the current All Australian Ruck, so that he can sit up fwd :'(

Respectfully, hugely disagree with bringing Sweet in. Between Buku, Darcy, Bruce etc, have much better options than playing two rucks imo. Buku has been playing well and would like to see him have a run up forward if Jamarra does miss.

Sw
Playing Jordan Sweet in the middle instead of the current All Australian Ruck, so that he can sit up fwd :'(

Respectfully, hugely disagree with bringing Sweet in. Between Buku, Darcy, Bruce etc, have much better options than playing two rucks imo. Buku has been playing well and would like to see him have a run up forward if Jamarra does miss.
Sweet also averages like 5 disposals when playing in a two ruck system at AFL level. We will essentially be playing one player short post hitout. And not like English dominated the forward line when used as part of a headed monster in 2021. English is essentially an extra midfielder, who can drop back and help the defence out as he has done well in a few games.

VFL watchers. Has Sweet improved his around the ground impact?

Will also keep McLean in the VFL for a few weeks regardless of form. He needs continuity, not used as a ping pong ball between seniors and reserves every couple of weeks.

McNeil in for Treloar, might be the only change this week. Cleary deserves a crack as well.
Bruce if fit may replace Gards.

Last edited:

In hindsight I agree Buku comes in before Sweet.

And for the amount of minutes Sweet would actually ruck probably doesn’t justify his inclusion.

Out: treloar (inj)

In: McNiel

Think we can cover the midfield minutes through who we have in the team already.

Think keath needs to be dropped but with no Bruce atm (yes I know he could be back this week but will need a game or two in the reserves) and as much as I want to see Busslinger this isn’t the game.

If JUH is sore and out Buku is the perfect replacement.

Fixture Changes VS Carlton Round 9 - The Liam Jones Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back