Unofficial Preview Changes vs Crows - Round 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought of starting this thread, looks like Thilthorpe has returned in SANFL so we might see him next week against us. Got me thinking if we need Payne back early.

Huge game for our midfield again. We need to be switched on early and not play like vs Demons.

I'm not prepared to make definitive judgment on just one game but, on paper, I thought our side looked slightly out of whack with no true winger and it wasn't until we made the change with Berry heading to a wing more and then introduced Fletcher that our game looked more solid.

I think we underrate what that wing role does for our structure and that it isn't just a case of putting your 5th best mid out there. Reville looks best as a high half forward and Ashcroft and McCluggage want to play mid. For rotation purposes, you can maybe get away with 1 or even 2 non-wingers in that role but 3 just looked like it didn't work.

I wouldn't make changes to the team on that one game alone because if we can somehow make it work, then the positives of having Berry on ball without diluting too much of Hugh's and Will's game is worth getting through any teething issues. But it is a watch for me.

I'm not prepared to make definitive judgment on just one game but, on paper, I thought our side looked slightly out of whack with no true winger and it wasn't until we made the change with Berry heading to a wing more and then introduced Fletcher that our game looked more solid.

I think we underrate what that wing role does for our structure and that it isn't just a case of putting your 5th best mid out there. Reville looks best as a high half forward and Ashcroft and McCluggage want to play mid. For rotation purposes, you can maybe get away with 1 or even 2 non-wingers in that role but 3 just looked like it didn't work.

I wouldn't make changes to the team on that one game alone because if we can somehow make it work, then the positives of having Berry on ball without diluting too much of Hugh's and Will's game is worth getting through any teething issues. But it is a watch for me.

100%. I assume Fletch needed a bit of a rest so we thought we'd use him as the sub, but that can't happen again IMO- absolutely need him or Sharp on that wing.

Reville back to sub and Fletch on the wing is the move we need to make imo.

I would be tempted to play Morris as sub and start with the second half team from Friday night.
We seemed to have a lot more run with the smaller team.
And hopefully Payne gets up to replace Joyce.

I think Morris would be a poor sub choice, needs to either play the full game or have a rest for a week if he needs it.

Imo reville may need to be sub.

100%. I assume Fletch needed a bit of a rest so we thought we'd use him as the sub, but that can't happen again IMO- absolutely need him or Sharp on that wing.

Fletcher was underrated. An absolute must play.

I think Morris would be a poor sub choice, needs to either play the full game or have a rest for a week if he needs it.

Did ok in his first game as sub.
And if we were to be playing Rayner as the third tall, I think a taller option would be the best option for a sub.
Because we have enough smaller running types in the team anyway.
And if a taller player went down we can shuffle the magnets a bit

Agree re Morris.

Did Cam spend more time forward playing as the third tall? Perhaps this impacted on Morris. His form has been very impressive for such a young player, but I would look at giving him a rest this week or next against WCE. I have always been of the believe that Cam is our dangerous third tall forward with stints in the midfield only, especially with Berry playing more mid time and Ashcroft back.

If in the unlikely event the coaches went with it Zac Bailey would be a great option as the sub, come on fresh, his pace and evasiveness would have an impact.

Agree on Morris. Manage him this week or the next. I would do this week.

No to Reville as sub.
Reville improves each week and just had his best game.
Did not appear to panic in a close game.
I doubt we win if he was not in our starting 22 yesterday.
We found a winger that can also play mid & forward if needed.

Fletch was a bit of a surprise sub but once Ashcroft got the wing time one winger had to go to sub.

In my opinion Reville is miles in front of Sharp and so is Fletcher.
With Ashcroft back i prefer Reville & Fletcher wing with McCluggage, Berry, Ashcroft filling in.

Apart from the Port game Bailey has struggled and i think they should send him a message and name him sub.

If in the unlikely event the coaches went with it Zac Bailey would be a great option as the sub, come on fresh, his pace and evasiveness would have an impact.

From a purely structural point of view Bailey might be the best option for sub. Bruce played an excellent last quarter and we didn’t look great with only one dedicated winger. Fletcher has been quietly good this year and should be our first selected wing.

Having Morris as sub would leave us with little flexibility. We only did it against Gold Coast because of a late out.

I think Bailey has played fine this year, and had that 4-6 week injury that didn’t help. Only main problem has been that he has been caught out holding the ball from run down tackles from a lack of urgency a couple times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we need to get sharp back on a wing somehow
Teams like Gold Coast will flog us with their run.
They won’t be alone.

Teams do seem to want to try and stretch our defence. Seems to have worked a bit recently. Lester has been coughing up goals and will struggle against Fogerty this week
Tex or Fogerty for Lester (though I prefer him on Tex), either way he’ll be undersized which is nothing unusual for him. Midfield pressure to assist the defenders will be important.

It won't happen, but on form alone, once again I'd bring Beecken in for McKenna.

I think Fletcher might find his way back into the 22 also.
Haven’t seen anything of Beecken since his arrival so curious what he’d bring to the side over McKenna?

Attacking wise McKenna’s been good but defensively has been average at times getting caught out a lot.

Tex or Fogerty for Lester (though I prefer him on Tex), either way he’ll be undersized which is nothing unusual for him. Midfield pressure to assist the defenders will be important.
Lester’s not that short, I’m 6’3 and when I’ve met him he’s got me covered by a couple of cms.

Until this year I wasn’t a Lester fan but he’s been very good all year so I’d back him against Walker or Fogarty

Against Walker not much of an issue but Thilthorpe is a beast although not sure he comes back after 1 game.

Lester’s not that short, I’m 6’3 and when I’ve met him he’s got me covered by a couple of cms.

Until this year I wasn’t a Lester fan but he’s been very good all year so I’d back him against Walker or Fogarty

Against Walker not much of an issue but Thilthorpe is a beast although not sure he comes back after 1 game.

Fog touched him up earlier in the year

I don't think he's capable of playing tall despite being tall

Bruce sub makes no sense.

I reckon he was in the best 5 or 6 against Melbourne.

There is a bit of an issue with Rayner playing the entire game as the third "tall" because it relegates Logan to irrelevancy..

Morris is a damned good player

I think Rayner needs to spend more time at the centre square so Morris has more chance of getting into the game.

It needs a bit of a tweak

Reviile stays in and make either Bailey or Mckenna the sub

Bruce sub makes no sense.

I reckon he was in the best 5 or 6 against Melbourne.

There is a bit of an issue with Rayner playing the entire game as the third "tall" because it relegates Logan to irrelevancy..

Morris is a damned good player

I think Rayner needs to spend more time at the centre square so Morris has more chance of getting into the game.

It needs a bit of a tweak

Reviile stays in and make either Bailey or Mckenna the sub
Rayner can't play on ball except a cameo.

Don't ask me the coaches agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back