Preview Changes Vs Gold Coast Round 13

Remove this Banner Ad

wasn't a compliment for hutch, i think he is a dud. i should have said poor mans priddis in fact.

i agree priddis shouldnt be dropped, but he certainly shouldnt have the role he currently has... but this topic has been discussed to death so moving on...
Matt has the role he makes for himself by delivering better than any other we have. you can not appoint a masten for example to be priddis at the bottom of packs because he can and will not, or he would have been doing it.

I can see the quality in Wellingham, but he doesn't have the desire. Last year although we were playing similarly, he was constantly injured and so set out to prove a point in those games he was fit for. Now he is fit, we are still shit, and he doesn't seem to have any motivation. Combine that with a form slump and he's currently a mess.

I think 2-3 games in the WAFL to give him something to aim for will be just what he needs. They brought him back too quickly after the last time he was dropped.

McGovern had a great game down back against Carlton. He also had a very good game up forward against the Hawks.

I wish we had 2 McGoverns so we could put one fwd and one back. But seeing as we don't, I choose fwd.

Hang on - hes done well down back and well up forward

Average the two out.........

and we have a big bodied mid

Voila

What will Coxy do if Lycett racks up 16-17 touches, 20 or so hitouts, and a couple of a sausage rolls to boot with some good contested marks around the ground?

East Perth, you might have a 2000's premiership reunion on your hands.

West Coast Eagles ‏@WestCoastEagles 1m
"Josh will captain the side tomorrow." -Adam Simpson meets the media #goeagles pic.twitter.com/QWteQQ5SoF

West Coast Eagles ‏@WestCoastEagles 36s
"We've got a couple of guys that are not playing to their capacity. That's why he was dropped." -AS on Sharrod Wellingham #goeagles

West Coast Eagles ‏@WestCoastEagles 11s
"He just needed a rest." -AS on Dean Cox missing his first game in 104 matches. #goeagles

"Lycett has been a little more consistent. We need his work in the ruck." -AS on why Lycett was picked over Sinclair #goeagles

West Coast Eagles ‏@WestCoastEagles 41s
"Can't stop Gary Ablett. The goal will be to make sure he doesn't get 45 and kick three." -AS #goeagles

"Selwood is in the mix for that role." -AS #goeagles

West Coast Eagles ‏@WestCoastEagles 50s
"We'll look at it at the end of the year" -AS on deciding the new permanent club captain #goeagles

West Coast Eagles ‏@WestCoastEagles 21s
"Good leaders play well. And that's what we're looking to explore." -AS. end of media conference- full video up shortly. #goeagles

Very happy with that from Simmo.

Happy with his reasoning with Lycett over Sinclair as everyone keeps looking at the 6 goals Sinclair kicked but the fact is Lycett is way better ruckman who can still kick a goal or 2 and that is needed more than what Sinclair offers.

Happy he put the blow torch on Wellingham and mentioned a few others were not performing...come on boys time to lift!

Good to see Josh getting a go as captain ( would be a first?)

The kid has had less than 20 games, and is regularly showing our so called superstars how to win the ball, lay a tackle and run from one end of the ground to the other to get the ball into our forwards. He's made a couple of mistakes here and there which you'd expect from someone of less than 50 games at the top level but so what? Luke Shuey couldn't kick 15 metres to hit up Gaff last week when they were in space and no one says a thing, and he's played more than a hundred games, but Hutch misses a kick and gets bagged out mercilessly.
Hutch got 28 possessions including hitting up several of our forwards for goals plus took a ripper mark off a MCGovern bullet pass and no one says anything complimentary, but Sharrod Wellingham has 12 possessions in a game with three shanks and the odd good kicks and everyone's calling for him to replace Hutch. Masto did very little last week again apart from one goal and then proceeded to get pushed out of every contest he was in but he's an automatic favourite.
You can wish for these so called superstars to be played every week in the hope they do something, but when they keep cruising around doing sweet f/a and getting paid big cash to do it, eventually any coach worth his salt is gonna say "**** it" and bring in the honest hard working kid who racks up 28+possessions a game because at least he gets it to your forwards. He may not have the silkiest of actions(or haircuts) but he can hit targets and will get better with time and games at AFL level, where as a showboat will always be a showboat if he doesn't have to earn his spot. Simpson is unlikely to drop Hutch while he's winning the ball for us and applying defensive pressure like he is at the moment, so you'll all have to watch the WAFL for that one good kick out of Wellers 12 possessions. ;)
Great post, spot on!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

might be a weird question but it's fantasy football related. In my draft league i have been offered Cox in a trade. How many games do you guys expect him to play for the rest of the season?

Don't get dropping Wellingham, how Selwood and Masten keep getting picked is unbelievable.
Two weeks in a row we have dropped our Sub when both had no opportunity of showing anything.
Cripps still in the side? just staggering he has been in all year.

But nothing surprises me anymore with the Eagles, once we were a club that set the trends and did so much right. We are becoming a laughing stock now and that is very disappointing.

Wellingham played OK in his 1Q on the ground.

There are other mids that played far worse for a full 4Qs.

The decision is somewhat mystifying in that regard.

While I agree, I think we are not seeing the whole picture. I think he might be having some attitude problems around the club.

While I agree, I think we are not seeing the whole picture. I think he might be having some attitude problems around the club.

I think he is finding it hard to adapt to playing with Priddas, Selwood and Masten after playing with Pendelbury, Swan, Beams and Sidebottom. At the pies he was a good outside mid who was clean and finished lots of work those guys did.
Here he is regarded as almost our best mid and it is not really his role.
If his attitude is poor then thats fine to drop him I guess, but who really knows what is going on behind closed doors.

I think he is finding it hard to adapt to playing with Priddas, Selwood and Masten after playing with Pendelbury, Swan, Beams and Sidebottom. At the pies he was a good outside mid who was clean and finished lots of work those guys did.
Here he is regarded as almost our best mid and it is not really his role.
If his attitude is poor then thats fine to drop him I guess, but who really knows what is going on behind closed doors.

Last year he played at alot more centre bounces and played better. The highlights of the corresponding Gold Coast game last year has him getting a number of centre clearances and being quite damaging.

As another poster said last year he was playing as though he had something to prove - motivation must be the issue here though that's concerning as he still has plenty to prove.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes Vs Gold Coast Round 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Back