Preview Changes Vs Gold Coast Round 13

Remove this Banner Ad

These are the calls that must be made to stay relevant in strong competition such as the AFL. I'm not saying this is what we should've done, but it's a worthwhile mental exercise that I doubt anyone at the Eagles ever entertained.

Of course no-one at the Eagles entertained calls of trading NicNat and going with a ruck duo of Lycett and Grundy. When would they have had the opportunity to do so? When we traded pick 17 it wouldn't have even entered their minds that Grundy would be available at that pick.

Why him though? would rather hutchings.
Because he was a very competent tagger at Collingwood, it ensures he gets taken to the ball (his reading of the play is poor when left to his own devices) and he can provide some hurt factor going the other way. I see this as a big positive as I've thought for a long time this should be Wellinghams role at WC.

Last year he played at alot more centre bounces and played better. The highlights of the corresponding Gold Coast game last year has him getting a number of centre clearances and being quite damaging.

As another poster said last year he was playing as though he had something to prove - motivation must be the issue here though that's concerning as he still has plenty to prove.
Unfortunately we have to dig deep to find games where he has played to his expected level. Need him to exceed expectations, having said that he is our only midfielder able to generate space, just needs to be more consistent with his ball use and get the ball a few more times

Of course no-one at the Eagles entertained calls of trading NicNat and going with a ruck duo of Lycett and Grundy. When would they have had the opportunity to do so? When we traded pick 17 it wouldn't have even entered their minds that Grundy would be available at that pick.
Your right, I'm making a more general point that we don't utilise our draft/trading/etc. capital as well as we possibly could due to a lack of vision, guts and innate conservativeness when it comes to these list decisions.

I agree, not the best example, but as I mentioned, a hypothetical.

I just think our recruiters either thought a) that Wellingham would be a better player than whoever was available at that pick and past it or b) would be the last piece of the puzzle to helping us challenge for a premiership. On both accounts they were wrong which means it was a bad decision. Everyone makes a mistake but considering our ladder position we seem to be making far too many!

How is it that we are still favorites for this game?

Going through my tipping and 67% of tipsters have tipped us, including Dennis "icantpickateamsoiamgowithdennis" Cometti and we are $1.62 to $2.35 odds on favorites

How is it that everyone else has superior confidence in that we are going to win?

Help me decide Big Footy, help me decide...

How is it that we are still favorites for this game?

Going through my tipping and 67% of tipsters have tipped us, including Dennis "icantpickateamsoiamgowithdennis" Cometti and we are $1.62 to $2.35 odds on favorites

How is it that everyone else has superior confidence in that we are going to win?

Help me decide Big Footy, help me decide...
I think people feel the journey will be a bit to much for GC like it was for them when the played Adelaide. I think people aren't taking into consideration how much better Adelaide are than us.

Is there an issue with the team attitude atm ??
Wellas dropped 3 weeks ago, "mia culpa, mia culpa" media statements followed , then after one week he was back in, plays 1 game and then subs and again is turfed out .
Wow , his AFL future is on the line and I dont think hes the only one ....Ive got the feeling Simmo has drawn a line in the sand and there will be some nervous players come seasons end.

Wellas dropped 3 weeks ago, "mia culpa, mia culpa" media statements followed , then after one week he was back in, plays 1 game and then subs and again is turfed out .
Wow , his AFL future is on the line and I dont think hes the only one ....Ive got the feeling Simmo has drawn a line in the sand and there will be some nervous players come seasons end.
I really don't believe the attitude stuff. I mean he just isn't in great form. Bit embarrassing for the club to say that our huge recruit can't get a game because he isn't performing. Easier to say needs to sharpen attitude

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tipped the suns, they are so far ahead of us in the middle, I can't see any of our advantages actually helping us win. We have a far superior forward line, and probably back line, even with glassy out, but we will do the usual, bomb it in, contest, suns spare man assists defenders, they run it out, full length, stream into and empty forward 50 and goal. Repeat about 15 times.

thats right, as there should be some nervous players..whether its all too confusing with players having to be versatile/in new roles and new coaches demanding new things..now captains gone (wonder if that was as it was portrayed?)..theres pressure in the cooker, heat in the kitchen..hope a handful of players fall out the bottom at seasons end,and get replaced with real footballers (including 2 classy mids)..but yeh, Wellingham after he trampolined his ankle, went on publicly about how much he owes the club and wants to repay the club..maybe the change of coaching has messed his head up (or his hair?)

according to form we will submit to the suns, after burning ourselves out with inefficient style of play and bad skills and bombs of dizzying heights..Son of God parts patersons oval down the middle, and delivers loaves and fishes between the big white sticks to the loyal masses? ..but in this disturbingly erratic season, certainly anything is possible, even an accidental win?
p.s.- Kennedy, Frenchy and the King explode all over the place? (can only dream)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes Vs Gold Coast Round 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Back