Changes vs gws

Remove this Banner Ad

No he is not. He needs to do more.

Only had one clearance last night and looked way off he pace when he got he ball.

Needs to step up as swallow was going it alone last night.

Yep, i'll give a leave pass for Adams and Swallow, the rest were ineffectual for long periods of the match and it's ultimately why we lost.

It shouldn't be up to Boomer to drag us back into the match at 104 years of age either just quietly.

If were to be a finals side this year, then a few young blokes have got to stand up.

You're all presuming that what you want/expect Cunnington to be doing is what Scott wants.

From what I can tell he's doing a lot of defensive stuff, seems more focused on using his strength and size there. Blocking, tackling, that sort of stuff. Stoppage set ups are hugely tactical these days. It isn't just try and grab the footy. We seem to be playing a system where Cunners minds an opposition gun mid at stoppages then Anthony or someone else goes with him around the ground.

Cunners is exactly where JZ was this time last year. Just needs to get games into his legs so he gets match fit. Games like GWS are gold for him.

Wtf did mullet do wrong to be dropped?
Campbell was in some great passages in the fight back.
I hate the duel ruck combo though. Cunners a worry for me. Basti seemed so out of touch also.
Boomer's first 3 Qs stunk I thought.
Out, Macintosh, cunners, Tarrant
In, Pederson, Levi, milky, or Black if hr goes OK today.

Mullet, was OK for a guy playing less then 5 games, and Cambells run was helpful in the last qtr.

It showed we cannot have two rucks like goldy and big Mac we need more run we looked slow.

You're all presuming that what you want/expect Cunnington to be doing is what Scott wants.

From what I can tell he's doing a lot of defensive stuff, seems more focused on using his strength and size there. Blocking, tackling, that sort of stuff. Stoppage set ups are hugely tactical these days. It isn't just try and grab the footy. We seem to be playing a system where Cunners minds an opposition gun mid at stoppages then Anthony or someone else goes with him around the ground.

Cunners is exactly where JZ was this time last year. Just needs to get games into his legs so he gets match fit. Games like GWS are gold for him.
As long as he is not keeping a form player out Im happy to keep giving him a game.

Im confident he will come good eventually, but Im a little tired of us playing guys before they are ready.

Sorry Daw, but it is ridiculously optimistic to think that Cunners played like he did last night bc he ws playing to instruction.

Scott himself said the main reason we lost was lack of support in the midfield. And cunners issues went beyond clearances - way too slow to react under pressure. He will hopefully come good this season, but his output needs to lift 2-3 notches on last night to justify his spot.

Partially agree, but once the ball has cleared from a stoppage area and as you say Anthony takes over the run with role, then Ben needs to exert himself on the game more.

I'd be interested to know what his TOG stats were because he needs to get his hands on the pill more. GWS should be the perfect opportunity.

It almost looked like Goldy wasn't playing in the 2nd half, Hank was far better.

But why was Drew rucking at one point? I know those too were being beaten, but if they play they have to ruck.

It almost looked like Goldy wasn't playing in the 2nd half, Hank was far better.

But why was Drew rucking at one point? I know those too were being beaten, but if they play they have to ruck.

They threw Drew into the middle to shake things up. Nothing wrong with that - Drew usually has an impact when he goes up the ground for a burst. I think he started the comeback with a stoppage clearance that led to the first Boomer goal.

Call to drop Hamish or Goldy are pre-mature. If it doesn't work when they are hitting their straps form wise then we have issues, but as shown by Essendon an in form ruck combo can be very damaging. Hamish and Goldy have more upside than Ryder and Hille.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OUT
Tarrant(inj), Campbell, Macmillan,
IN
Pedersen, Ben Warren, 1 of Hansen/Car Keys/Narni

B: McMahon - Narni/Car Keys/Hansen - Firrito
HB: Atley - Thompson - Wright
C: Harper - Cunnington - Bastinac
HF: Harvey - Pedersen - Adams
F: Thomas - Petrie - Edwards
R: Goldstein - Wells - Swallow
I: McIntosh - Warren - Anthony
S: Mullett

Partially agree, but once the ball has cleared from a stoppage area and as you say Anthony takes over the run with role, then Ben needs to exert himself on the game more.

I'd be interested to know what his TOG stats were because he needs to get his hands on the pill more. GWS should be the perfect opportunity.

Ben needs to get to more contests and he needs to be able to run games out.

As I said, he's exactly at where JZ was last year. He just needs to play senior footy to build that fitness. I have no doubt he'll be doing the extra stuff in his own time.

Some of you guys amaze me. Cunners job is to block the key opposition mids and allow the runners to create the centre clearances. Against Carlton he kept Judd to three possessions in the first half. You can not have a large impact on a game when you are loosing in the ruck and our outside mids are not getting their hands on it. Im sure those critical of Cunners dont know that the reason he had limited game time was that he spent most of the third quarter getting ten staples to a cut across the top of his left eye courtesy of Hill or Ryder elbow. He played the rest of his game with his left eye completely closed as we had already used our sub. I suppose the only persons he has to please is his coach not us. Give the guy a break until you know his team role. He plays to his teams instructions.:D:rolleyes:

Ryder and Hille went to FF in broken play every time they had Goldy on them. Must of identified that he's not very good defensively. Would be a waste of time to try to do that to Petrie as he would be more than effective in a CHB/FB role, so the coaches were trying to combat this. Pederson's flexibility might have been handy yesterday.

Oh come on, ya can't bowl slow medium half trackers and expect me to let that go through to the keeper.

Didn't we trade.....

Excellent:thumbsu:

So drop Swallow seeing as he can't take advantage of Cunnington's brilliant ability to clog space?

Pederson for tarrent
Cam delaney for spud
Levi for Anthony (never again)
Black for hmac
Pederson and black get up the ground and are more mobile than hamish and allow space for Petrie to do his thing. Anthony is pathetic and soft. Sorry spud but if one day we will be a top 4 team your not in it.

24 hours after the game and I'm still shitty that Matty Campbell on the outer wing burst clear and kicked the ball straight to Fletcher in the last minute or two of the match.

Azza did great to make a contest but with a bit of composure Matty could have kicked the ball straight to Azza for a shot at goal.

Sooner or later glaring skill errors when not under much pressure have to be punished or I fear we will never improve.

So for me it's out: Tarrant, Campbell.

Cam delaney for spud.

Holy Christ. I've seen it all now.

I would have thought that last nights game would have only reinforced just how important Spud, McMahon and Thompson are to our side.

Cam delaney for spud

Excuse me, but in all seriousness, did you even watch the game?

Spuds efforts Saturday night showed his is pivotal to our set up. He was massive against Hurley and put his body on the line countless times. Cam delaney is a good prospect for the future, but that statement is ludicrous

There have been some pretty bad calls in this thread thus far, this takes the cake by a mile.

Where does Liam Anthony sit? He accumulates the ball but really doesn't do much with the ball. I also recall a couple of poor, half hearted attempts that really stood out to me. He needs to toughen up otherwise he will be back in the seconds.

The only two we can be sure on are:

Tarrent (inj) and Wright if he gets rubbed out, with question marks over a group of 6 or 7.

Thursday night shall be interesting.

Hansen is nearly the last person on our list that should be brought in...

Out - Cunnington, Tarrant

In - Greenwood, Pederson

Cunnington is no where near AFL standard, should be playing VFL until he shows something.

Why Greenwood didnt play on Saturday night is beyond me. He is easily in our best 22, he is our best shutdown player and one of our best clearance players, and has the ability to play outside aswell. We were smashed in the clearance and it was because of the lack of big bodied mids!

The non selection of pederson stunned me aswell, was a shining light in our woeful season last year, he should've been played instead of Tarrant on saturday night, Tarrant is another player who has shown jack-all, pederson is a better mark, a better kick, a better runner and an all round better footballer.

The only change will be Hansen for Tarrant.

Some on here need to relax.
I know theres alot to work to do and not much is being done, but if we put in another average performance against Geelong heads will roll then.
At the moment Bastinac has had a shocker and has been average for some time. Needs to lift in the next fortnight or send him back to NB.
Anthony was good so hes not dropping out.
Cunnington had a head clash so missing a quarter contributed to his 12 disposal game. Lay off him. Hes been playing as a negator too im told continuing on from last year. Probably part of his development. And ask yourselves. Would Levi had done more on current form? Dont think so. If only JZ hey?
Adams was good but needs to elevate himself.
Campbell, MacMillan and Mullet all get another game.

We need to put GWS to the sword.
Gotta take as much grunt and blood into the Cats game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes vs gws

Remove this Banner Ad

Back