Clark trade discussion #2 (please read opening post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus, how well do Gold Coast do there. Downgrade their first pick by one place and get Jeager O'Meara for their trouble.

Completely unrealistic.

Not to mention GWS doling out the two u17 picks in exchange for downgrading pick 5 to 10? :confused: :eek:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/124996/default.aspx

Clark's manager Colin Young said he was growing increasingly concerned a deal with Fremantle - Clark's preferred target - was not going to happen this week with the Brisbane Lions wanting more than the club could offer.

He also said Clark could opt to enter the NAB AFL Pre-season Draft in December if a trade didn't come up before Monday's deadline, with the Lions believing Fremantle's first-round selection of No.16 in the NAB AFL Draft is not enough to get the deal done.

"The draft has been compromised and unfortunately Brisbane deserve a top-10 pick but they probably won't get it if Fremantle can't negotiate down," Young told afl.com.au's Trade Week Radio.

"I think at the end of the day come Monday, if it's not done, you'd rather get at least pick 16 than nothing."

Yet more attempts by Young to bully us into trading him for less than he's really worth.

I would trade Clark in return for the opportunity to give Colin Young a great big kick in the arse.

lets see the AFL no surprise pulled the pin on the super deal that would see interstate teams benefit!!!! A few key points with the Clark deal

1) freo can't or won't offer up a suitable trade for Clark
2) Port can't offer a suitable trade for Ebert
3) Clark's prioirty is to return home to WA
4) WC are interested in Clark
5) The lions want Tippett
6) The crows failed to get a player from the Hawksin the Gunston trade

KEY STICKING POINT
6) ebert has so far requested a trade to port

As the week goes on and the Port/eagles standoff continues and really looks unlikely to be resolved, Ebert must start to reconsider his "preferred club" and consider a crows trade. Crows will surely take him and extra from the eagles if Tippett is pushing to leave a year early.

we need a 3 way deal with Clark, Ebert/Lycett, tippett...obviously extra picks will be used to balance out the deal. But from a Lions point of view it is the only way we can have a good option in any clark trade

The crows have already shown a interest in moving Tippett on in the failed "4 way super trade"...we just need to get them back to the table with the eagles involved

Ebert will get to Port either way, I don't think the Clark deal needs to be involved for that to go through. I'd love to exactly what we might be able to get off west coast for mitch.

Just connecting the dots but I think you could get pick 23 and Lycett. I don't think that would be enough for you guys though, even though Lycett is highly rated.

Honestly can't believe Freo isn't putting up their first round pick btw. Bunch of clowns.

Just connecting the dots but I think you could get pick 23 and Lycett. I don't think that would be enough for you guys though, even though Lycett is highly rated.

Honestly can't believe Freo isn't putting up their first round pick btw. Bunch of clowns.

Yes they are and they wonder why they cannot win a premiership they dont give quality for a KPP player while their window is open:confused: I would take Lycett and 23 but that's just me. But if we did that I would be then looking to upgrade that pick with GWS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ebert will get to Port either way, I don't think the Clark deal needs to be involved for that to go through. I'd love to exactly what we might be able to get off west coast for mitch.

yeah the clark deal wont need Ebert to go through, but it is our best chance to have a good outcome if we can get the crows involved.

also, I wouldnt say that he is 100% going to Port as they cant seem to get a suitable trade offer on the table, and clubs are obviously on this this with the Cats having first crack...You would have to think that Eberts priority would be the same as Clark in that he wants back to his home state.

If freo and Port continuely fail to come to the trade table, then whats to say that the crows and eagles won't come into the picture

Lycett and pick 23 are much more than Freo have offered.

My opinion only, but if you were Clark, wouldn't you want to go to the team that places more value on you?

Yes they are and they wonder why they cannot win a premiership they dont give quality for a KPP player while their window is open:confused: I would take Lycett and 23 but that's just me. But if we did that I would be then looking to upgrade that pick with GWS.
Lycett and 23 sound good to me too. Wasn't he a Lions supporter at one point? I thought I read somewhere that Browny was one of his favorite players.

The problem is getting players to want to move to QLD. Lycett is a SA kid and both the crows would want him in a heart beat and he would know it.

the eagles need to talk Ebert into considering the crows and package hi up with Lycett, then the Lions could through in that compo pick on top for the crows (which is what they are after) for Tippett.

Lions
Gain: Tippett
Lose: Clark, Compo pick

Crows
gain: Lycett, Ebert
Lose: Tippett

Eagles
Gain: Clark
Lose: Lycett, Ebert

By the final days if Port still fails to satisfy the eagles in a Ebert trade, surely Ebert will take his chance to return home?

You didn't include all the benefits of the trade...

In my book it would be Pick 23 + Lycett + a big fat middle finger pointed at Chris Bond and his misshapen head.

Looks a winner to me.

Honestly, that's my preferred outcome out of all the options thrown up so far. Yeah it'll take Lycett a while to come on but I think he comes closest to replacing Clark long-term, while you get an upgrade for your short-term bash at the title.

My opinion only, but if you were Clark, wouldn't you want to go to the team that places more value on you?

Not at all. Value to a player probably means 2 things: dollar value, and opportunity value. The dollar value is probably similar, though potentially higher at Freo. Opportunity is likely higher at Freo given the relative strength of Freo to WC, and that Freo just recruited a new coach, so he has the opportunity to cement his place in the new "system" they will be playing.

Trade value means nothing to a player, as long as the deal gets done.

Unsuccessful clubs like Freo tend to have a chip on their shoulder and they have this mentality that if they're not being whiny, underhanded or difficult then they're not running the club correctly.

See how they stabbed Connolly on the back by bringing in his replacement a full year before sacking him. See how they sacked that replacement hours after talking to fans with him about the future of the club.

It's unfortunate you have to deal with them.

Anyway, on Clark, has he given any indication whether he prefers to play forward on in the ruck? Long term we have spots in both positions but probably more time if he wants to be a forward.

So I've been bitten by the tw bug and was thinking of a trade that maximises beneficial outcomes for all parties while killing multiple birds with one stone and this is what I came up with

Brisbane gets: 6
loses: Clark, 30

WCE get: 30
loses: Ebert (3 picks lower than what Geelong offered)

Fremantle get: Clark
loses: 16, Griffin (not overs for a player that will be paid 600k)

Port gets: Ebert, Griffin, 16 (gets a ruckmen for a pick downgrade)
loses: 6

does anyone really lose out of that? seems to address needs for most clubs

Can anyone think of a way Brisbane can get one of GWS' top 5 picks now that they have traded with GC? If we could somehow get pick 5 from GWS and secure either a wingard/longer/WHE that could potentially be a big win for us.

Or perhaps a deal around this:

Brisbane:
Lose: Clark
Gain: Pick 6

West Coast:
Lose: Ebert, Lycett
Gain: Clark

Port Adelaide:
Lose: Pick 6
Gain: Ebert, Lycett

This would then give us the option of trading pick 8 for Tippett or going for a Longer/WHE draft coup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back