Cloke - Set for a big 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

kouta666

Debutant
Dec 12, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Impressive for a big man and coming back from injury too!!!

"Several elite runners skipped the time trial for an afternoon VO2 max test, but the youngsters posted solid times.

Andrew Carrazzo (11.15min) won in a group of roughly 20 players, followed by Jordan Russell (11.19), Andrew Bentick (11.23), Marc Murphy (11.41), Heath Scotland (11.42), Cameron Cloke (11.46), Bryce Gibbs (12.03) and Shields (12.09)."

Impressive for a big man and coming back from injury too!!!

"Several elite runners skipped the time trial for an afternoon VO2 max test, but the youngsters posted solid times.

Andrew Carrazzo (11.15min) won in a group of roughly 20 players, followed by Jordan Russell (11.19), Andrew Bentick (11.23), Marc Murphy (11.41), Heath Scotland (11.42), Cameron Cloke (11.46), Bryce Gibbs (12.03) and Shields (12.09)."

It's an optimistic sign but good footy players arn't based on what they get in a time trial. Looking forward to a solid season from cam though in 08.

It's an optimistic sign but good footy players arn't based on what they get in a time trial. Looking forward to a solid season from cam though in 08.

I really hope that his shoulders hold up in '08, so he can have a full pre-season. In terms of committment and desire, he hasn't put a foot wrong since he has crossed over to Princes Park.

I really hope that his shoulders hold up in '08, so he can have a full pre-season. In terms of committment and desire, he hasn't put a foot wrong since he has crossed over to Princes Park.

And this is the main point. An impressive time in the time trials does not promise a great season, but it certainly shows that Cloke is doing everything he can to put in a strong preparation for the 2008 season. He would never have been capable of producing this sort of effort in his days at Collingwood. All we can ask from Cloke is to give us the best effort he can. If he does that, who knows what he can do.

I'll say it again, I reckon he is going to be a real card up our sleeve next year. And as the pressure comes off him and the young rucks develop, rather than discard him I think he will become quite a weapon particularly up forward.

Does anybody know what the VO2 max test is ?

Have these periodically.

It's an aerobic assessment, using results derived from aerobic activity. There are a few versions about, based on the device (bike, treadmill) used to obtain the data. Basically a set of formulae based on weight, loading, intensity, heartrate, and a bunch of other stuff I can never remember b/c I'm too stuffed from all the cycling.

Handy assessment, a good measurement to go with skinfolds, time trials & measurements.
:thumbsu:

It's quite amazing to see him run such a good time, seeing as though he looked quite overweight in the training pictures.

So either he has improved his fitness a lot in the space of a week, or we're in for a loooooong season!

:p

Yeah i was surprised, maybe those photos were taken on a digital camera,lol sometimes you look bigger in them,my brother looks like he has 2 chins in one photo,lol.

someone else started a thread with the title "this is what we're missing" and it was a link to a video of rhys-jones. this is an element that cloke can definately add to our team, we'll need him firing next year throwing his weight around to help protect the young fellas, doesn't matter so much what position he plays, he has the ability to have the physical impact most others in the team dont posess.

just hope his continuous injuries to his sholder doesn't make him think twice about going in for the ball or flying into a pack

someone else started a thread with the title "this is what we're missing" and it was a link to a video of rhys-jones. this is an element that cloke can definately add to our team, we'll need him firing next year throwing his weight around to help protect the young fellas, doesn't matter so much what position he plays, he has the ability to have the physical impact most others in the team dont posess.

just hope his continuous injuries to his sholder doesn't make him think twice about going in for the ball or flying into a pack

Cloke despite his deficiencies in other areas of the game is not the type to take a backward step in the physical aspect of the game. His natural instinct is to crash packs and be a workhorse and I cant see him changing this part of his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope for Cloke's sake that he has a good year, he looked impressive last season (all 6 or 7 games) and i hope that he can continue to do good things. Good result for a big (not overly big) man.
Hope he has a great 2008...

hope he does well , i loved cam at the pies and was annoyed we got rid of him and kept richards.

such a tough kid and never takes a backawards step, hed be perfect in the blues line up to step in and give it to anyone whos had a cheap shot at a team mate and also by setting examples of working hard all day. shame last year he got injured in training before the pies blues match , was looking forward to seeing him play against the pies for the first time. hope he has an awesome 08

And this is the main point. An impressive time in the time trials does not promise a great season, but it certainly shows that Cloke is doing everything he can to put in a strong preparation for the 2008 season. He would never have been capable of producing this sort of effort in his days at Collingwood. All we can ask from Cloke is to give us the best effort he can. If he does that, who knows what he can do.

Last night i was watching the Carlton vs Essendon game from the start of the year. Cloke's second and third efforts were amazing, at one stage he even got knocked out, but still got up to lay a tackle. Later on he copped it around the head again, and lay on the ground for a few seconds, then wobbled up, fell over, wobbled up again to chase a man. It's that attitude where I think he really will be one of our wild cards for 2008.

I think I underestimated picking him up. Hopefully he'll be our no.1 ruckman this year, because his tap work is brilliant (how many times did he palm it straight down to Stevens!!) and his work around the ground is great for a big guy too.

He'll be a very solid contributer to our team next year, and watch him bomb those goals from outside 50 :)

I think if he has a big and impressive pre season he could hold down CHF for us. I know he's never going to be a your typical Carey / Brown type CHF but i think he could be a good 'lead up' the ground option for our half back line before we get it down deep to Fev and Waite. Basically his intructions should be to just continue to present on the half forward line, then look for the runners in Judd, Stevo, Murph and Bryce.

I really rate Cloke, obviously not as talented as Travis but I think he really can be something special if his shoulders can hold up and constantly put in 100%.

I was actually surprised why Collingwood delisted Cam, was it because of his shoulders?

Oh and I always thought a VO2 Max test was the test where you push yourself running on a treadmill until you threw up or you could not physically go anymore. Just what I thought I got taught.

Last night i was watching the Carlton vs Essendon game from the start of the year. Cloke's second and third efforts were amazing, at one stage he even got knocked out, but still got up to lay a tackle. Later on he copped it around the head again, and lay on the ground for a few seconds, then wobbled up, fell over, wobbled up again to chase a man. It's that attitude where I think he really will be one of our wild cards for 2008.

I think I underestimated picking him up. Hopefully he'll be our no.1 ruckman this year, because his tap work is brilliant (how many times did he palm it straight down to Stevens!!) and his work around the ground is great for a big guy too.

He'll be a very solid contributer to our team next year, and watch him bomb those goals from outside 50 :)

He won my respect that day. Even half conscious and struggling he was still willing himself on for the contest. To get up and lay a tackle and get in the play. Showed ticker! :cool:

I really rate Cloke, obviously not as talented as Travis but I think he really can be something special if his shoulders can hold up and constantly put in 100%.

I was actually surprised why Collingwood delisted Cam, was it because of his shoulders?

Shoulders and because he alwayts returned from lay offs terribly over weight.

Cam has talent not like his brother but never ahd the fitness with us i hope he pulss his finger out and trys otherwise he will be overtaken by hampson and aisake quickly

I think if he has a big and impressive pre season he could hold down CHF for us. I know he's never going to be a your typical Carey / Brown type CHF but i think he could be a good 'lead up' the ground option for our half back line before we get it down deep to Fev and Waite. Basically his intructions should be to just continue to present on the half forward line, then look for the runners in Judd, Stevo, Murph and Bryce.

In the games he played for us last year, more often than not his role seemed to be to stay in the midfield and find space on a wing on the fat side. When we would run the ball out of defence, very often Cam was in space on the wing and was used to switch the play and mount our offence with great effect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cloke - Set for a big 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Back