Opinion Coach: James Hird

Essendon supporters only - Should James Hird be sacked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the bloke with a hird avatar is really going to give an unbiased view

I'm not sure if you noticed, but most of this forum had this avatar at some point.

I hadn't expected to keep it for this long, but then WADA appealed.

.....jog on

You sound reasonable.

apparently if its james hird you can't

Well constructed strawman. 7.8/10.

As members and supporters we have a vested interest in the Club therefore anyone and everyone is up for discussion and that includes the Coach

Of course. Just don't expect the discussion to be in any way useful.

Re. The comment I made earlier.

All I'm saying is it seems like our supporters are far more reactive than I am. They are welcome to be if they like.

Hird's coaching has been far from brilliant this season, but -- ASADA/WADA/YADDA stuff aside -- I'd like to think he has enough chips in the bank after 2011 & 2013 to be given more time than round 11, 2015 before we all decide he is a terrible coach.

Re. The comment I made earlier.

All I'm saying is it seems like our supporters are far more reactive than I am. They are welcome to be if they like.

Hird's coaching has been far from brilliant this season, but -- ASADA/WADA/YADDA stuff aside -- I'd like to think he has enough chips in the bank after 2011 & 2013 to be given more time than round 11, 2015 before we all decide he is a terrible coach.

I'm certainly not calling Hird a terrible coach, but I would say based on what we've seen so far he's no more than average coach, especially on match day. How many chips does he really have in the bank though? 2011 was better than 2010 as we seemed to have some semblance of a defensive game and had some very good wins but we also had quite a few big losses, had a 5 game losing streak in the middle of the season and played an embarrassing final.

2012 was a step back, even though we started like a house on fire our 2nd half of the season was a catastrophe, losing 7 straight and missing finals, and that's without mentioning ASADA.

2013 was closer to 2011, but how do you really read the season? Was the great start the level we're capable of or was it a massive FU from the team to the league? And what about losing 5 of our last six, just fatigue and not giving a shit after knowing that we'd miss finals (although if that was the case it is hard to explain the Carl fight back) or more symptoms of the 2012 problem?

2015 and we're still seeing a lot of the same issues we've seen since the start. Patches (even full games) of brilliant play, followed up by terrible ones. Skill errors that occur on a regular bases and question marks over what our game plan is and whether we have other tactical options when things aren't going our way.

There's still half a season to go and it could all just come together for us, but after 3 and a half years I still have the one fundamental question I had after 2011; does Hird have a workable 'plan B' (other than switching Hooker and Carlisle) and can he adapt to another teams game plan as they adjust through throughout the course of a game? Sadly, thus far it looks like the answer is 'no'.

Man management wise I think Hird is fine as a senior coach, although it will be it will be interesting to see how that is affected by the ASADA/WADA outcome, but I'm not sure he has the tactical acumen needed to allow us to be a true contender

One of the things that the Hird haters (mostly media and Caro) keep on harping about is his lack of experience as a coach and the fact he needed seniority around him.

They trot out this line yet completely forget about the highest paid assistant of all time Bomber and guys like Craig. Its laughable and just highlights their hate and vindictive nature.

Unfortunately we've got Hawthorn this week and with Chips book out there'll be a few gunning for him next week.

This is a legitimate question, what strategies/set plays/game plans etc. do we have put in place. I can't honestly say I see one apart from kicking it sideways, backwards then bombing it long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back