Opinion Coach: James Hird

Essendon supporters only - Should James Hird be sacked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty standard when a team isn't winning, some people blame the players, some people blame the game plan/ coach. In this case there's also people blaming WADA. Some people blame list management.

From listening to a lot of media experts it would seem the general consensus is lack of quality mids and a dysfunctional forward line to be the issue, not coaching, not game plan, not WADA. In this day you can have the best game plan in the world, but if you don't have 3 mids with beak out speed your behind the 8ball. Then when your ruck division offers nothing to those plodding midfielders, your a bottom 6 team.

Pretty standard when a team isn't winning, some people blame the players, some people blame the game plan/ coach. In this case there's also people blaming WADA. Some people blame list management.

From listening to a lot of media experts it would seem the general consensus is lack of quality mids and a dysfunctional forward line to be the issue, not coaching, not game plan, not WADA. In this day you can have the best game plan in the world, but if you don't have 3 mids with beak out speed your behind the 8ball. Then when your ruck division offers nothing to those plodding midfielders, your a bottom 6 team.
Sydney, Freo and Hawks don't have 3 mids with breakout speed so I don't know what point you are trying to make

Sydney, Freo and Hawks don't have 3 mids with breakout speed so I don't know what point you are trying to make
Agree, only need 2.

Rohan and Jetta
Walters and Hill
I.Smith and Hill

Colyer and Dangerfield ;)

Agree, only need 2.

Rohan and Jetta
Walters and Hill
I.Smith and Hill

Colyer and Dangerfield ;)
Add Pearce and Hurtung to Freo and Hawks list of speedsters. Jake Lloyd and Harry Cunningham also have a bit of toe on them.
They are "cream" players. You aren't "behind the 8ball" if they aren't there. Were these three teams hurt you is quick ball movement we are lacking football brains/confidence to move the ball quickly. Both Sydney and Hawthorn have trust in their forwards to be in the right space whereas Freo know that if the ball comes to ground if it's not clunked by Sandi/Pav they have the small fwds to pounce. That's our biggest deficiency between the centre circle and the fwd 50 arc. 3 speedy players won't fix that

What's the deal with Hird missing training sessions because he is in Europe again? Is this legit? Surely the head coach doesn't nick off to Europe mid season, especially when the team is struggling. Did this really happen???

Yes he did, and it is not uncommon at all for players/coaches/officials to leave the club during bye week.

Yes he did, and it is not uncommon at all for players/coaches/officials to leave the club during bye week.
To Europe though? Given our position the last thing he should be doing is flying to the other side of the world to go to a couple of Business classes. Unless they're a 101 on turning around a sinking ship it's a very selfish decision, and I've been a long time Hird supporter.

To Europe though? Given our position the last thing he should be doing is flying to the other side of the world to go to a couple of Business classes. Unless they're a 101 on turning around a sinking ship it's a very selfish decision, and I've been a long time Hird supporter.

Why is it?

It was his enforced 'vacation' that had him studying there in the first place, and if he pre-arranged with the club the necessity to spend some time there mid year to complete his obligations I don't have the slightest problem with it.

And what does it matter if it is Europe? Does it make a difference if it was a flight to Sydney instead? The location is utterly irrelevant.

I'd say it was approved pre-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But that's the thing... what club approves their coach to disappear mid season, missing several training sessions? Who the hell agreed to that??

Utterly absurd, and ridiculous!

He can do no wrong, it would seem.

It would seem you are begging to be bitch slapped by one of our card carrying heavies. You expressed your opinion, it was pointed out that Hirds activities are not unusual at all during bye rounds, and then decided to go all straw man and ignore what you were told.

My advice, leave it alone and piss off elsewhere.

I'm not after cards, I was looking to see what Essendon supporters thought of this development. It seems some are like you, and others are not. And yes, I have made my opinion on it clear enough.
You might have been looking for what Essendon supporters thought but then you offered you own opinion several times.

And what does it matter if it is Europe? Does it make a difference if it was a flight to Sydney instead? The location is utterly irrelevant.

Location would be irrelevant if he was visiting a sick family member... but he's gone off to give his full attention to a personal business course. In the middle of a losing season. He should be spending 5 days a week studying match videos.

It was his enforced 'vacation' that had him studying there in the first place

Well that is completely irrelevant.

The club kept this quiet and we learned about it from the media because they know how absurd it is.

Location would be irrelevant if he was visiting a sick family member... but he's gone off to give his full attention to a personal business course. In the middle of a losing season. He should be spending 5 days a week studying match videos.

Did you know that model employers need to invest in the development of their staff?

Hird studied at one of the most prestigious business schools in the world, and pre-arranged with the club his absence at the most appropriate time of the season, ie. the bye.

It continues to amaze me this misguided belief that some fans have that they can dictate what a person can or cannot do with their own personal time.

Well that is completely irrelevant.

The club kept this quiet and we learned about it from the media because they know how absurd it is.

No it isn't. If it wasn't for the 'deal' that the man was apparently arm-twisted into accepting by the club, he would not have been studying there in the first place.

And why in gods name should the club declare what one of its employees is doing with pre-allocated leave? That is no ones concern and if you want to get worked up over it because you've been trained by our media to give a shit about irrelevant tidbits, be my guest.

The players were off for 4-5 days, but he also missed a couple of sessions once they had returned.

What’s footy all about?

The W’s.

This is one of those things that nobody cares about when you’re winning, but when you’re putting out the garbage we are, it becomes an issue.

Stupid to go. Time would have been better spent doing some thinking and planning about the season.

The players were off for 4-5 days, but he also missed a couple of sessions once they had returned.

What’s footy all about?

The W’s.

This is one of those things that nobody cares about when you’re winning, but when you’re putting out the garbage we are, it becomes an issue.

Agreed.

Stupid to go. Time would have been better spent doing some thinking and planning about the season.

It was pre-arranged leave, with what I assume are a number of very difficult to cancel considerations (flights, accommodation, school requirements etc etc).

Agreed.

It was pre-arranged leave, with what I assume are a number of very difficult to cancel considerations (flights, accommodation, school requirements etc etc).

No way I would’ve gone with the shape we’re in. To be missing sessions at the moment, and taking leave mid-season with the crap we’re churning out, is not a good look for the players and staff. He’s one of most senior people at the club and in the most important role.

I doubt we’d be very forgiving if, for example, Jake Carlisle missed training sessions to be off overseas doing something else. And Hird is the leader.

Stupid move and poor leadership.

No way I would’ve gone with the shape we’re in. To be missing sessions at the moment, and taking leave mid-season with the crap we’re churning out, is not a good look for the players and staff. He’s one of most senior people at the club and in the most important role.

I doubt we’d be very forgiving if, for example, Jake Carlisle missed training sessions to be off overseas doing something else. And Hird is the leader.

Stupid move and poor leadership.

Did Jake Carlisle seek and receive permission to be away from the club for a number of sessions?

What?

It was an example.

I know it was.

Here was your question/statement:

"I doubt we’d be very forgiving if, for example, Jake Carlisle missed training sessions to be off overseas doing something else."

And I ask again, in your example, did Jake Carlisle seek and receive leave from the club for those training sessions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back