List Mgmt. Colin Sylvia - Joins Freo as Free Agent

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it really so hard to believe? Essendon suffered from the heat too. People who aren't from WA aren't used to playing footy in 30+ degree heat.

It's funny because Suban has got 8, 10 and 15 possessions in his 3 games this year and people are arguing that he's a superstar. But Sylvia gets 13 and all of a sudden he's got an attitude problem and isn't trying hard enough.

We all agree,Sylvia in Suban out
Oh wait that cant happen because after getting a handfull of touches ,getting frustrated and snotting someone behind play in the WAFL he isnt available for a month
Wouldnt it just drive you crazy,that silly Suban will have to stay in:oops:

Is it really so hard to believe? Essendon suffered from the heat too. People who aren't from WA aren't used to playing footy in 30+ degree heat.

Sylvia has just done a whole preseason in it, unlike the Bombers players.

You keep arguing he isn't fit enough yet, but shouldn't a veteran with a fitness base of many preaseasons be able to get themselves up to scratch pretty quickly if they were putting in proper effort?

You know as well as anyone that he's suffered from multiple injury setbacks in his preseason, along with coming from a base that wasn't up to Fremantle's standard at Melbourne. Danyle Pearce was similarly not up Lyon's standards when he arrived, but he completed a full preseason with no setbacks and was good enough to go by round 1.

It seems to me that you're wilfully ignoring the extenuating circumstances here so you can blame his attitude.

I remember Fyfe saying they had to do exams on the Ross Lyon Game plan.

Well, I have been able to get a hold of one of them.

Here, for the first time ever! Ross Lyons game plan essay.

Please don't distribute this outside of the Freo board. It's quite sensitive.

3. Just ____

a) Do it
b) Kick It!
c) Like witches at black masses
d) Juice

You know as well as anyone that he's suffered from multiple injury setbacks in his preseason, along with coming from a base that wasn't up to Fremantle's standard at Melbourne. Danyle Pearce was similarly not up Lyon's standards when he arrived, but he completed a full preseason with no setbacks and was good enough to go by round 1.

It seems to me that you're wilfully ignoring the extenuating circumstances here so you can blame his attitude.

Playing in conditions that Sylvia deems to be to hot doesnt count:rolleyes:

I have read plenty of nonsense on these boards over the years. But this is total drivel.

What normal Freo supporter would want any players to fail ? Seriously, I cant believe I read that.

The genuine hope of any sane person is to have a full, healthy list throughout the year, so that when we do cop the inevitable injury and suspension the selectors have the luxury of dipping into the pool and replace like for like.

Unless you are fishing that is.

Well said.
We have already spent our money on the players and got them, I don't care how much any Freo fan hated them at other clubs once they get put on our list they are costing us a spot on the list and using up some salary cap so any real fan wants them to do well.
Still need to prove themselves to new coach and earn a spot though.

A lot of people are projecting their own hopes and prejudices into the Sylvia situation.

The reality is that it's a pretty simple case of Sylvia still not hitting fitness KPIs. All this talk of attitude problems etc is completely without basis.
He might not be hitting his fitness KPIs but I'm pretty sure that he doesn't have hitting people KPIs.

Also, you do understand that Suban got 15 touches at AFL level and Col'n got 13 touches at WAFL level. If Col'n gets a game and has a couple of score assists, maybe a goal as well and 'only' 15 touches then I reckon most will be accepting, I certainy will be. Of course, it'll be weeks before he plays and it will be nothing to do with his fitness KPIs.

Still hopeful that Sylvia will realise that he needs Freo (to reach his undoubted talent) more than Freo needs him. If he can push past Sheridan, Mora and Simpson then we will have a footballer worth having! Just do it!

Karl Langdon has described the WAFL tribunal as a ‘Kangaroo Court’ after an 11th hour medical report was produced to help Docker star recruit Colin Sylvia's avoid a 4 week suspension. Sylvia will spend two weeks on the side line for his hit on Subiaco’s Brett Mahoney.

Karl Langdon has described the WAFL tribunal as a ‘Kangaroo Court’ after an 11th hour medical report was produced to help Docker star recruit Colin Sylvia's avoid a 4 week suspension. Sylvia will spend two weeks on the side line for his hit on Subiaco’s Brett Mahoney.

As if Langdon wasn't a beneficiary of the player/club code in the past. :rolleyes:

Eat a bag, Karl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont remember this shock and horror from Langdon when Brown got of the hit behind the play and broken jaw incident despite witness's evidence, because of a lack of vision.
I emailed this to him last night, saying you weren't this passionate when Brown broke a 17 year old kids jaw behind play and put him out for 8 weeks? funny it never got mentioned

Fair bit of chat about ol col in a number of threads so thought I'd just add one thing on the subject..
Has anyone considered that maybe a mid can be made to look better ( or worse ) by what's around them ?
Now I'm not saying this is why col isn't excelling at wafl level nor why he's not being picked, but what I will say in light of all the banter re the pro and con Sylvia selection debate is that it can be hard to stand out as a mid at that level - depending on the player/role type.
If cols being assigned pure inside work which it seems he does a fair bit of then he may not 'look' all that pretty and effective to us common viewer. So it's easy to deride some performances given he's just the first hands on the ball guy. On the flip side, It's up to him to create his own opportunities though so if he's not getting to outside receive positions after a clearance that has nothing to do with the disposal of those around him.
I personally think his non selection is due to his GPS figures and lack of defensive gut running, which supports the commonly used "head up own arse" theory, and a major no-no for RTB ( refer to the Michie precedent)

I can see col going a little this way but I think personalities need to be taken into account and col needs an ego boost, hence my call for a return into the 1sts. Unfortunately the world isn't a society of robots and personalities do need to be catered for in any organisation ( refer buddy franklin precedent). so while we are a strict KPI driven, reward for effort club (which sits well with me) an approach that needs to be the over-riding principle and philosophy that our culture is based on, there should still room for curve balls and events ( refer josh Simpson precedent ) a little outside these parameters.

After the port game seeing croziers tackles brushed, his Michael flatly-esqe dancing around packs and largely ineffective kicking I can't think of a better time to give col what his ego needs, even though he may not 100% deserve it.

I don't think it will happen, and I'm not RTB nor the selection committe for those who'll undoubtedly get their knickers in a knot reading this but thinking about it I can understand where people are coming from and don't dismiss the idea that he may just benefit from playing in the 1's, he's a confidence guy and needs a confidence shot

I agree it probably is his GPS figures and two way running.Whatever it is he will have been told and will know exactly where he stands and what he needs to do.
Hopefully he accomplishes it today and has a blinder.

I agree it probably is his GPS figures and two way running.Whatever it is he will have been told and will know exactly where he stands and what he needs to do.
Hopefully he accomplishes it today and has a blinder.

Ross said in an interview with Chris Connolly on the ABC yesterday that Sylvia had not adapted to our midfield strategies yet.He did explain what he needed to improve on but unfortunately I missed that part of the interview.Ross also said Mora to come back after the bye but with the time he has missed out of the game he would not have the impact he is capable of until next season.Ross seemed genuinely excited about Mora's return

Yeah I remember you mentioning that now I'll have a look and see if I can find it on ABC.
Very easy to underestimate how fast and physically demanding AFL has become and how far back 3 years out must've put Mora but good to hear we'll likely see him soon.
I've said it before but don't mind repeating it I am rapt that he's gonna get back and I hope he goes on to play 200+ for us,will reward him for all his work and determination and just be a fantastic story.He has earned it and deserves it.:D

Ross said in an interview with Chris Connolly on the ABC yesterday that Sylvia had not adapted to our midfield strategies yet.He did explain what he needed to improve on but unfortunately I missed that part of the interview.Ross also said Mora to come back after the bye but with the time he has missed out of the game he would not have the impact he is capable of until next season.Ross seemed genuinely excited about Mora's return

The Sylvia part does not sound promising. It is just so hard to fathom that a full time professional footballer is having so much trouble coming to terms with a different strategy. Must be a very selfish footballer or is having trouble having the Melbourne (structure less) knocked out of him (back hander to Chris Connolly????)

This is a tragedy because his inside mid/ goal kicking forward is just what we need at the moment. Knock them dead today Colin for f-sake.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Colin Sylvia - Joins Freo as Free Agent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back