Collingwood exposed?

Remove this Banner Ad

After fancying themselves as top 4 material this year surely tonight has to put under question Collingwood's premiership credentials. People may say it's early but they have been completely outclassed since quarter time. Such a blow out must be worrying for their fans and have them re thinking resigning Buckley until 2017.

With the loss of some familiar faces such as Daisy it may be a rocky year for the pies.

Did they over estimate their chances this year? Even this early in the year top 4 teams shouldn't get belted like this. Even without injuries it looks like they'll be fighting with the middle teams for a spot in the 8.

Mate, we were humiliated by st Kilda early in the 2010 season, we were also absolutely embarrassed by Sydney early last year at home, but we ended up beating Sydney on their home track later in the year.

It was always going to be an uphill battle tonight considering the team they had in, 20 from last years GF, and damn that 20 is quality, we had a heap of players with less than 10 games with the club, the result IMO wasn't surprising, TBH I thought we tried bloody hard, we were just outclassed obviously.

I do think if we can get the majority of our best 22 on the park for the better part of the year we'll improve heaps on that effort, you have to have a settled line up to develop the chemistry required to compete with the big boys IMO.

Early call.

Been a long summer...

Freo will feel better for belting someone after losing the grand final.

Pies need to work on their bookends.

Mate I think it's as simple as you've called it.

It's the first game of the season...way too early to be making any calls.

Freo were always going to be pumped after their GF loss and were going to be looking for redemption.

Collingwood need Reid at one end and White at the other. Both were huge losses for the club. Reid is one of the best KPD in the comp who could also be one of the best KPF in the comp. He is a huge loss down back or forward. White is also a very big loss in terms of structure. Can take a mark, provides a contest in the air, moves well and can kick a goal. Seemed to have gotten some consistency in his game last year with further improvement this year. They need him in the side as a foil for Cloke. Witts is NOT a KPF and will never be.

Love to see the Pies lose like everyone, but I recall the opening game of the 2002 season when Richmond, fresh from making the prelim the year before, belted the Pies in the opening game. Richo and Ottens kicked 10 goals between them. At the end of the season we were 14th with 7 wins.:( The Pies meanwhile, got to play in the last game of the year.

I don't think they will this year and, yes, Freo are clearly better than that Richmond side was. Nevertheless, earlybcalls are early calls and I'd like to see how the Pies go with Reid and White in before I declare their season over.

Yes, but Collingwood match up very well against most of the other teams in the league. Even Geelong struggle against them. Freo and Hawthorn are the only two teams that will consistently beat them imo.

They used to match up well you mean.

I liked the part where collingwood lost.
I can't wait for the saints to play them for a nice lil percentage boost.
I just don't know why they are tanking.
Was it Luke Darcy or Richo that compared them to melbournes side of last year at 3 qrttime?

At the end of the day I think we all know what the problem is.....Scott watters.

Yeah, any success Buckley has is Malthouse's doing, and any failures are his own :rolleyes:. Of course.

This is the third season since Malthouse was kicked out by Eddie and FIGJAM took over. Buckley has cleaned out a lot of players some of which are pretty decent ones so to impose his ethos onto the side. So 2014 is all Buckley's doing and he's no longer riding on the 'coat tail' of what Malthouse developed over his long term as head coach.

So now we will start seeing just how good a coach Buckely is and just how good Collingwood's list management is under Buckley's oversight.

Do you think this is unfair or incorrect?o_O

The pies are in full rebuild mode. 90% of their players either have their best footy behind them or ahead of them. Teams trying to improve don't just let go players like shaw and Thomas. Bux is in for a world of pain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I more surprised Freo kicked more then 7 goals!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
that was the most damning part of Collingwoods performance: they way Freo scored so freely.

Freo certianly look a formidable force this season, but one has to wonder why the media are rating Collingwood so highly. As a few have mentioned they seem to be in a mini rebuild phase.

Given Collingwoods profile there are always going to be extreme opinions as to how good/bad they are. Like all clubs in a period of rebuild that will struggle to compete with the likes of Freo when they are at full strength, let alone when missing KP players like Reid and White. With Cloke literally one out against as accomplished and experienced Docker defence it was no surprise they copped a caning last night. They have a terrific midfield but are light on up forward and back, asking young, inexperienced and underdeveloped kids to hold down key roles. There will be some hard times this year but the future looks very good indeed. There isn't another team in the AFL with as much exciting young talent working their way through those crucial first 60 games and three preseasons. They also have in Pendles an excellent leader which is crucial in this stage of the lists development. The hysterical reaction of irrational people, Pie fans and not, toward the current teams prospects shows little or no foresight or indeed knowlege of how AFL football clubs operates.Unlike his predecessor, Buckley is a first class individual and football person. He wouldnt give two shits what these ignoramuses think of his ablity to coach the CFC. I"m pretty confident that Nathan Buckley will be having an extended last laugh in a couple of years time.

Collingwood suck, if nick Maxwell can be starting 18 on any afl list your struggling, there defence is shocking there attack will be be better with reid and white but I think there main concern is there midfield, they have the so called stars in there but there a bunch of down hill skiers never willing to run the other way except pendlebury and that puts so much pressure on there already average defence, was never going to be easy against freo

one stoppage summed up the night down by 60 or so the ball up was near freo's 50 beams started defensive on about the 50, umpire balls It up without a opponent he runs straight to collingwoods goal, grundy or witts had not one a clear hit out like that all night, Sandilands taps it freo continue to push it fwd.

10 wins for the year wouldn't be bad a bad result

that was the most damning part of Collingwoods performance: they way Freo scored so freely.

Freo certianly look a formidable force this season, but one has to wonder why the media are rating Collingwood so highly. As a few have mentioned they seem to be in a mini rebuild phase.

Imagine the media reaction if we had Cotchin posing with the premiership cup for one of the rags, and then we played like this. Pies get a very good deal from the media

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read this thread with interest. Some astute posters (it's round 1 folks) and some morons who's smiles will be wiped off their faces by the end of round one.
Yeah we lost, big deal. The sun rose this morning and I look forward to watching footy all weekend.

As soon as I read last nights backlines and forward lines ups I thoughts Freo are going to flog Collingwood

Toovey (back from a knee reco) Brown Maxwell
Marti Clark Frost and Young

opposed to

Ballantyne Pavlich Walters
De Boer Mayne and Fyfe

Freo's FF line is a class act where the Pies lacks agility and pace.
That is the worst half back line in the AFL by a country mile.

Now for the other end

Pearce Johnson Duffield
Dawson McFarlin Spurr

Very solid and capable back six from Freo.

Against

Beams Cloke Elliot
Kennedy Witts Swan

Beams and Swan are midfielders named forward and Witts is a second string ruckman.

Pies will be desperate to get a couple of real forwards into the side in Fasolo and White and they will also be desperate to get Reid at CHB.

After fancying themselves as top 4 material this year surely tonight has to put under question Collingwood's premiership credentials. People may say it's early but they have been completely outclassed since quarter time. Such a blow out must be worrying for their fans and have them re thinking resigning Buckley until 2017.

With the loss of some familiar faces such as Daisy it may be a rocky year for the pies.

Did they over estimate their chances this year? Even this early in the year top 4 teams shouldn't get belted like this. Even without injuries it looks like they'll be fighting with the middle teams for a spot in the 8.
Freo will expose most teams as final 4 pretenders including my own team. Collingwood is amongst 10 teams that can finish anywhere between 5th & 14th. Collingwoods midfield is rated by most as elite. Unfortunately gathering 25 - 30 possessions each game should not classify you as elite. It is where you get those possessions and what you do with them. Freo, Hawks & Sydney have elite midfields the rest of the comp is delusional if we think we are even close.

Pies are rebuilding, and the great thing about our rebuilds is that they last weeks, not years or decades like some other teams that were once referred to as the big four.

Mark my words, we'll be back in premiership contention by mid season.

Last night did we see the start of the end for Buckley. He froze in that coaches box.. He finally got the team he wanted but looks Malthouse was right. Bucks just don't have what it takes to be a senior coach. Eddie pushed out a Premiership coach for this chump and looks like the Pies are getting thier just desserts. I really enjoyed watching Freo tear the Pies apart last night.. Thank you Freo

Two thing that we can take out from last night
1. Fremantle were scary, their pressure was a step up from last season and the Pies were lucky they didnt kick straight.
2. The Pies looked slow and off the pace. I know teams can look slow when they are getting belted but even in the first quarter when they had a moment of dominance they still looked a step behind.

Could be a long year for Collingwood, but like people have said - it is only round one.

The autopsy after Round 1:

Collingwood coaching staff - insert football brain here
brain-dead.jpg

Midfield is so overrated its not funny. They are all frontrunners who pump up there stats.

The collingwood midfield is their achilleas heal at the moment. I see about 10 midfields in the league which have better depth.

There's no doubt we have weaknesses but 10 midfields with better depth? I don't see it, sorry.

Pendles, Swan, Ball, Beams, Sidebottom, Adams and Josh Thomas is a pretty strong unit and wouldn't rank in the bottom tier of mids IMO. That's just outrageous.

Don't underestimate the loss of Reid & White before the game, Cloke had next to no chance most of the night & was a touch off as well, hard to score when that happens hence 5 goals only. Elliott, I think, was the next best marking target & he's good as fourth up & floating not THE target.
Worst thing for Collingwood was not the loss, 9 first round losers after all, but the %.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood exposed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back