List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022--> PART 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone think some nepotism was involved in keeping Kelly on the list? McMahon looked better in patches this year, and is taller and younger. Likewise Poulter for potential.
V happy to be proven wrong, but am yet to see Kelly show any signs of being an AFL level player… after 4 years in the system

Anyone think some nepotism was involved in keeping Kelly on the list? McMahon looked better in patches this year, and is taller and younger. Likewise Poulter for potential.
V happy to be proven wrong, but am yet to see Kelly show any signs of being an AFL level player… after 4 years in the system
The only thing that stands out is his outrageous run of serious injuries.

Certainly…

but it could also be a case of them having learnt in recent years that luring star players like Beams… free agent or not… comes at a contractual price and with its own set of risks

Just a thought. Would love for them to bring in a parish, Serong, etc

Just think it’s unlikely
The lesson from Beams is don’t over expend on players who come with baggage, nothing more. If you only concentrate on value Lipinski types then you’ll end up with a list that’s not going to be competitive, no matter how well coached.
I’m tipping the club has a high end recruit in mind for 2023/24. Clearing out Grundy’s money makes no sense if they didn’t, because it’s money that needs to be spent regardless.

I’m tipping the club has a high end recruit in mind for 2023/24. Clearing out Grundy’s money makes no sense if they didn’t, because it’s money that needs to be spent regardless.
I think you're probably right, but who knows, for the time being that money may simply be going towards having a list with a standard age demographic and depth rather than half the list being newbie's. Which was what Guy set up, along with the salary dumps, to drag us out of the cap mess.

The lesson from Beams is don’t over expend on players who come with baggage, nothing more. If you only concentrate on value Lipinski types then you’ll end up with a list that’s not going to be competitive, no matter how well coached.
Has been posted before that we’re into Ben King in a big way

I daresay every Vic club is into Ben King in a big way.
Even if by some chance we did get him to agree to terms and nominate us, isn’t he still contracted until the end of 2024? Meaning we’d inevitably have to trade something ludicrous for him to get GC to accept.
I think we’d have to accept that in all likelihood GC will dig their heels in next year and refuse to trade him, regardless of what we or anyone else offer for him.

Certainly…

but it could also be a case of them having learnt in recent years that luring star players like Beams… free agent or not… comes at a contractual price and with its own set of risks

Just a thought. Would love for them to bring in a parish, Serong, etc

Just think it’s unlikely

I’d be pretty confident they understood that. We punters may just assess the risk differently. It seems to me that there’s a lot more hindsight in the assessment from punters.

Even if by some chance we did get him to agree to terms and nominate us, isn’t he still contracted until the end of 2024? Meaning we’d inevitably have to trade something ludicrous for him to get GC to accept.
I think we’d have to accept that in all likelihood GC will dig their heels in next year and refuse to trade him, regardless of what we or anyone else offer for him.
We won’t know until the end of the season where the team is. We may still need to use draft picks on young talent, as we rebuild the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won’t know until the end of the season where the team is. We may still need to use draft picks on young talent, as we rebuild the team.
We literally only have 1 draft pick next year before the 4th round, so unless we make some moves to trade back in, there’s not going to be much to work with. I’d expect that after hitting the draft relatively hard for the past 3 years though (Macrae, Reef, Nick, this years first, 25, 27 Beau, Ginni), we’ll probably be looking more to trade in some established high end talent to compliment the youth we have.

We literally only have 1 draft pick next year before the 4th round, so unless we make some moves to trade back in, there’s not going to be much to work with. I’d expect that after hitting the draft relatively hard for the past 3 years though (Macrae, Reef, Nick, this years first, 25, 27 Beau, Ginni), we’ll probably be looking more to trade in some established high end talent to compliment the youth we have.
I think that’s the way to go, despite the upcoming FAs being locked away. We will need to work around that.

His best work was “done under pressure ... when the ball’s there to be won” - if due diligence is done, the possible replacement for Adams/Mitchell??

Or too old - 23 in Feb?? I’m not sure McInnes, McRae, Harrison and Draper will be getting too many opportunities this year.

Worth a shot , id rather take a go at a player like this who is back up to a deficiency on our list in position and age profile , than a wild stab late in the draft on a kid that wont make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back