List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022--> PART 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet this year Geelong played Nth & West Coast twice. The staggered draw is flawed. We could get a tough one, it could be easy. We won't really know until August next year. Fear no one and respect everybody (except Carlton, I can't respect Carlton)
Agree.

The West Coast double-up is justifiable as no-one could really have predicted just how bad the fall would be from West Coast, who finished 9th in 2021.

It will be interesting to see whether we get Sydney in a double-up in 2023, given the attention given to the number of times we have played them in Melbourne in the last 20 years or so.

I’m glad Knightmare understands the value of adding Frampton for cheap…

Most media commentary ignoring what Frampton arrival will do for freeing up Moore
I think the player who will benefit most from Frampton's arrival will be Howe, because this year he was often forced to play as a KPD, a role for which he is undersized.

The pundits are predicting a fall next year with a tougher draw (playing top 8 sides twice next year). We had an easy draw this year due (playing the top sides once this year) to finishing 2nd last in 2021.
This year, despite finishing 2nd last the year before, we played the following sides twice:

Melbourne 2021 premier
Essendon 2021 finalist
Carlton 2021 13th
Adelaide 2021 15th
Gold Coast 2021 16th

We won both games against the sides we doubled up against. 3 of those sides were bottom 6, 1 in the top 6 and 1 in the mid 6. Whilst we only played once during the h&a against Sydney, Freo and Brisbane (all finalists), each game was played interstate.

Realistically Carlton was tipped as a possible big improver and sat inside the 8 all year, except after the final round for some reason that escapes me.

So our draw, l feel was a lot harder than some people make out.

Confident we can challenge for top 4 again.

Just think about it people . . .

When was the last time we got any genuine credit from the media? Not even in '18 when we all but took the flag with an entire 2nd and 3rd string backline.

Best to ignore rankings because the Pies will never be rated more the mid field - it's ingrained bias and it will never change.
All these experts had us finishing bottom 4 last year as well. Now we have a harder draw. Give us a spell. Beat melb x 2 free x 2 run geel close x 2 and lost Syd in PF. Melb Brisbane and Pies will be the improvers next year

This year, despite finishing 2nd last the year before, we played the following sides twice:

Melbourne 2021 premier
Essendon 2021 finalist
Carlton 2021 13th
Adelaide 2021 15th
Gold Coast 2021 16th

We won both games against the sides we doubled up against. 3 of those sides were bottom 6, 1 in the top 6 and 1 in the mid 6. Whilst we only played once during the h&a against Sydney, Freo and Brisbane (all finalists), each game was played interstate.

Realistically Carlton was tipped as a possible big improver and sat inside the 8 all year, except after the final round for some reason that escapes me.

So our draw, l feel was a lot harder than some people make out.

Confident we can challenge for top 4 again.
We also dealt with a resurgent Port Adelaide who, despite losing their first 5 games, finished 2 games outside the 8 after finishing 2nd after the home and away season last year.

To me results in the AFL are largely dictated by match-ups/playing styles, as well as confidence. Whether teams plan differently against us next year, and how differently, is likely to be another significant factor that dictates how successful we are likely to be.

All these experts had us finishing bottom 4 last year as well. Now we have a harder draw. Give us a spell. Beat melb x 2 free x 2 run geel close x 2 and lost Syd in PF. Melb Brisbane and Pies will be the improvers next year
We always seem to struggle to beat mid table and lower table teams for some strange reason. I was more confident about beating Melbourne and Geelong both times we met than I was about Hawthorn and West Coast.

The West Coast game was a shocker.

We were late to the party, kicked poorly all night and were then sucker-punched by Rioli, Darling and Kennedy. One of those games that's akin to a slow moving train wreck you can't take your eyes off.

I still recall Darcy Cameron clunking a mark 15m out directly in front and missing. When things like that happen, you tend to start to think it isn't going to be your night.

The West Coast game was a shocker.

We were late to the party, kicked poorly all night and were then sucker-punched by Rioli, Darling and Kennedy. One of those games that's akin to a slow moving train wreck you can't take your eyes off.

I still recall Darcy Cameron clunking a mark 15m out directly in front and missing. When things like that happen, you tend to start to think it isn't going to be your night.
As well as us kicking 10.14 to their 14.3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had 2 players kick 40 or more goals this year - it would be nice to have another though.
Sorry i should have said H&A season. I have used it as a bit of a marker over last 10+ years. Almost all finals sides have a least one and most sides outside finals dont have one. We havent had anyone kick 40 goals in H&A season since Trav in 2013. Jordy in 2018/9 has been our most dynamic goal scorer. Its an area of need for me.

Out - Pendles
In - Parish

It's a stretch would be a huge signing.

Key forward would be ideal actually thought we were a sneaky chance at McKay which is disappointing.

Last edited:
I meant it more from the perspective of not having much depth there. Cameron wouldn't want to get nicked up and have to miss games during the season because we'd be in a spot of bother.
McStay and Frampton can both ruck apparently

Out - Pendles
In - Parish

Hun key forward would be ideal actually thought we were a sneaky chance at McKay which is disappointing.
Pendles is 42 games from 400 and still playing very well. I see him playing for two more seasons, which would get him to 400, baring injury.
But I think 2023 will be Sidebottom's last season. Probably Howe's too.

Out - Pendles
In - Parish

Hun key forward would be ideal actually thought we were a sneaky chance at McKay which is disappointing.
Reckon there's a chance Pendles will go on in 2024 too. He was still one of our better players last year and unless there's a big drop off next season he should continue

Pendles is 42 games from 400 and still playing very well. I see him playing for two more seasons, which would get him to 400, baring injury.
Let’s not count our chickens! But agree on current form he’s still best 22 in 2 years time…similar to Burgoyne.

I would have agreed with comment on Sidney this time last year but I think he has been re energised by Fly. Thought he was terrific this year. Still has a couple left in him.

Reckon there's a chance Pendles will go on in 2024 too. He was still one of our better players last year and unless there's a big drop off next season he should continue

Would love that, I rekon when Fly took the job he wanted a fresh start with the club but as time went on in my opinion he has seen how valuable Pendles is from on field to off field, the man's preparation is second to none.

Only takes one injury unfortunately as we saw with Swanny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back