List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022-->

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key dates attached so we know what’s going on when.

• Friday 30 September at 9.00am
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency Period commences
Monday 03 October at 9.00am
  • AFL Trade Period commences – Players & Selections
Friday 07 October at 5.00pm
  • Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.
Monday 10 October
  • AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)
Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
  • AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections
Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences
Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes
Friday 11 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences
Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
  • AFL Trade Period closes – selections only
Monday 21 November by 3.00pm
  • AFL Draft Nominations close
Monday 28 November at 7.10pm
  • 2022 AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)
  • Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.
Tuesday 29 November
  • AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)
  • 2022 AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)
Wednesday 30 November
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)
Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm
  • Final AFL Club List Lodgement

Lol this is hilariously. I assume your older, given your choice of language, and your having a dig at a generation because you can't get what you want at your footy club. Isn't it funny how you've neglected to have a go at the club for letting go of Chugg and McMahon after only two years!
By 'choice of language', are you referring to spelling, punctuation and grammar?

Agreed.

My thoughts we are paying a 300k stupid tax no matter what. Hence is it better to keep Grundy at effectively 700, thats my logic
Nah, it's a sunk cost fallacy to retain him now. For the past 3 seasons, when uninjured, Grundy's output has been closer to 500k than a 1 million dollar ruck. Maybe he gets back to his best at Melbourne, but the odds are that our return on investment will only get worse if he stays.

By 'choice of language', are you referring to spelling, punctuation and grammar?
Nope, I'm talking about using terms like "rising generation". But by all means, have a go! Would you like me to go back and edit apostrophes into my "you're"?

Nah, it's a sunk cost fallacy to retain him now. For the past 3 seasons, when uninjured, Grundy's output has been closer to 500k than a 1 million dollar ruck. Maybe he gets back to his best at Melbourne, but the odds are that our return on investment will only get worse if he stays.
Ok. that's a fair assertion.

Mentioned previously, more to it.... possibly thats it, a calculated view that is output is declining and wont improve i.e. 500k player... makes more sense

So you expect Dees to take on his full wage and pay us a first round pick, in the HOPE that an older, injured and out-of-form Grundy MIGHT somehow be able to rediscover past peak performance?

Surely you can see that that is unrealistic? Melbourne is bearing all the cost and risk with no guarantees. They will very reasonably want significantly discounted pricing for taking on that risk. That’s exactly how it works in business. And make no mistake, footy now is very much a business.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Gawn’s had 2 knee reco’s and still an AA performer.
Grundy has no where near the injury history of Gawn, therefore your fear mongering about injury is unfounded.
In fact, Goodes played with a bad PCL for virtually an entire season.
Full recovery from PCL is the rule not the exception.

There’s every possibility Grundy will get back to his best, that’s why Melb want him.

Gawn’s had 2 knee reco’s and still an AA performer.
Grundy has no where near the injury history of Gawn, therefore your fear mongering about injury is unfounded.
In fact, Goodes played with a bad PCL for virtually an entire season.
Full recovery from PCL is the rule not the exception.

There’s every possibility Grundy will get back to his best, that’s why Melb want him.

I think you should say there is everything chance he gets back to 100% fit.

His best was years ago now. Do you honestly think he'll get hack to his AA form?

This rising generation have been conditioned to believe they can have it all and deserve to.

Mostly they grow out of it but some expect the silver plate service for a McDonald's outlay of effort.

It will continue to happen more and more often.

Sad when you know the potential is all there and they won't do what's necessary.
It's not just the entitled rising generations which have the temerity to request transfers. Nick Davis did so when he reunited with daddy in Sydney, and in return, if memory serves me correct, we received pick 28, hardly commensurate with his talent and the quality of his performance during his tantalisingly brief stay at Collingwood. There have been players before him and since who have trod a similar path, returning to the comfort and security of the family bosom.

With Geelong after Bruhn and Grundys massive contract we’re realistically looking at a couple of 2nd round picks, 😟 disappointing but maybe we can turn those picks into Brisbane’s 1st round?
We should have a good relationship with GCS and therefore a similar deal too Brodie can be arranged…
Pies 2023 2ndR - Fiorini & 2022 2nd R pick (34 or 31???)
second rounders for each of Grundy and Henry from Dees & cats
gives us something like picks 32, 34 & 36 in 2022 - plenty for Lions 1stR???
Future 2nd thrown in for good measure from Cats and Dees, or at least the Cats and we can walk away with 2 x 2022 1st Rounders?

Leagues ahead of us in list management and recruiting, Sydney, Brisbane and Richmond as well. This is why I expect us to drop down the ladder for the next year or two, we can't compete with these clubs in consecutive seasons until things change.
Seems like we're trying to change it now. Cleaning out bloated contracts and trying to get balance in the age, depth and talent profile of the list.

What I don’t understand is how does Jon even know all these posters agendas when he has them all on ignore.
I am sure he cheats and sneaks a peek. The hard part would be to then pretend ignorance and disdain for the ignorees in his own posts.

Last edited:
Leagues ahead of us in list management and recruiting, Sydney, Brisbane and Richmond as well. This is why I expect us to drop down the ladder for the next year or two, we can't compete with these clubs in consecutive seasons until things change.
Rich are offering 7 year deals to Taranto and Hopper - in what alternative universe is that “leagues ahead”?

My opinion at this stage:
Fiorini a better fit than Parfitt in terms of clearance provision reliability
Hill a significant improvement on Henry, in terms of tackling pressure and flat-out speed/crumbing ability
McStay a fine fit for us when Grundy leaves - can ruck a little and cover us in defense and up forward
Frampton a solid get to cover for Murphy / release Howe & Moore down back - solid defensive ruck cover & cheap
Not sure we need much more in the middle if Fiorini / Carmichael / Macrae reach their potential in 2023, but if we had to choose between Mitchell & Parish, I'd go for Mitchell as he's more likely to give clean possession and forward momentum (Parish too lightly built and lateral for me!).
Pick up a couple of low first / high seconds for Grundy and Henry and pick up a couple of good'uns in the draft (hopefully a young KPF included) and I'd be pretty damn content.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s going on with Parfitt? This is his sixth AFL season and it’s the first time he’s averaged over 20 possessions. Can he find the ball?

Its role related- He's been in the square with Danger/Selwood/Duncan over most of that period and he's always been played as a defensive mid to compensate for the others lack of two way. This season Atkins has been doing his role a bit and as a result Parf's possession numbers are up a bit.

Hopefully he isn't going anywhere, Very surprised he wasn't named recently.

I thought when we lost Grundy we were stuffed.
We were millimetres away from losing Moore and we would have been stuffed.
When Adams went out it completely unbalanced our side and we were scrambling for replacements.
If Ginni was injured we don’t have anyone to replace him.
Beau was a lock in the side as again we didn’t have a replacement.
The only player I can think of that could have filled the midfield or even forward void was injured, (Reef).
This is why we are going after seasoned AFL players.

Very generous to say Reef is afl standard right now, he was about to get dropped before his shoulder reco.

This rising generation have been conditioned to believe they can have it all and deserve to.

Mostly they grow out of it but some expect the silver plate service for a McDonald's outlay of effort.

Sad when you know the potential is all there and they won't do what's necessary.
Crap

And they all have feelings and opinions that they don’t understand. It’s remarkable.

I never thought I would say this but had we had Frampton play in the Prelim we would be in the GF. Hill to me pouts pressure on Ginnivan, McCreery, Elliott in best 22. McStay takes Cox spot. Hayes is a good backup ruck and potential number 1. Mitchell would be ideal and would take Biancos spot from prelim or work well with Adams being injured 10 games a year. Fiorini adds depth something we lack.
I'd be targeting future 1sts for Grundy and Henry if they leave. Next year is likely a stronger draft

Six recruits is a lot but they add depth and with five of them mid 20s hopefully means we can continue to compete once our 9-10 30 plus best 22 players phase out.

Focus 2023 and beyond should be free agents and top 20 draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back