List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

In what world did the Hawks get burnt by acquiring Mitchell? He won 3 B&Fs, 2 AAs and a Brownlow! Pick 14 was Todd ****ing Marshall. If that's what happens when a club gets burnt, we should be trading the JFN and Richards picks, then lathering up in coconut oil and holding one of those old timey sun reflectors under our faces.
Taking the comment out of context my friend. It is about selling the farm to acquire players when premiership chances may have gone by.

They’re both currently out of contract, neither are as good Ash Johnson in 22/23 or as good as WHE in 24 as a back up key forward. We’re already linked to Ollie Lord and could go a development option through the draft.
Obviously they are out of contract because that’s how it works…. You cant manage your list at year end if all your players are contracted! So they under the pump if a better option becomes available. Contracts will be offered ( or not) depending on outcomes of trade week. Doubt we will have the trade collateral to land BOTH Houston and Lord and I also suspect Houston is (rightly) the higher priority.

Still reckon we land a key forward. Cannot go into the season with Ash Johnson (who would most likely be delisted if not in contract) being our main back up.

Let's face it Checkers, Billy and McStay are unlikely to play the whole season. Harrison is injured. Richards possibly leaving. Reef and Kreugs don't appear to be in favour. We definitely need a key forward as our overall fire power is down.

We cannot have another situation like the Dogs game - we played well but our lack of forward line cost us the game.
I literally cannot fathom how someone has watched Derek Hine and the list management team operate in the past two decades and still thinks that they'll go get a key forward simply for the reason that we desperately need one.

We'll do nothing and be told that there's no good key forwards in existence.

Given what we saw in their final? They're a Curnow injury away from Bottom 4

I used to think it was all Cripps. That final made me realise it's actually Curnow shockingly

We’ve done well with Pendlebury on Cripps in the past, we’ve never done particularly well against Curnow.

Perryman might end up playing on Cripps next season, as the most defensively leaning mid.

Reckon we will aim to fix that gap next year. For 2025 aim to get a full season out of mcstay. Kreugs was pretty good when called up.

Edit… AJ is far from our first call backup. Not only Kreugs is ahead of him but Reef is too. So is Mason cox! Additionally Mihocek has a long standing history of being injury free. His latest one being “ only” a pectoral muscle shoukdnt have any long term injury repercussions.

And on top of that our game plan is not one of over reliance on the key forwards and instead sharing it around with smalls and mediums.

Like I said, a key forward is a target we can look at in a years time when some veteran retirements may open up more cap.

Kreugs does not have a contract. I wish he was ahead but don't think he is.

Reef no contract either.

Cox turns 34 and kicked 6 goals from 16 games? Not sure about that one.

Checkers turns 32 so would not be counting or relying on him playing a whole season. But we are certainly better when he does.

Obviously they are out of contract because that’s how it works…. You cant manage your list at year end if all your players are contracted! So they under the pump if a better option becomes available. Contracts will be offered ( or not) depending on outcomes of trade week. Doubt we will have the trade collateral to land BOTH Houston and Lord and I also suspect Houston is (rightly) the higher priority.
That better option may well be through the draft so they’re under the pump regardless of Lord.

And given Reef played his last few games in defence there no guarantee even if he was kept that he’d be a back up key forward.

Kreugs does not have a contract. I wish he was ahead but don't think he is.

Reef no contract either.

Cox turns 34 and kicked 6 goals from 16 games? Not sure about that one.

Checkers turns 32 so would not be counting or relying on him playing a whole season. But we are certainly better when he does.
Fair call on cox… a.though he was about fifth in line anyway in my post.

But just because kreugs and reef don’t have contracts at present doesn’t mean they won’t be offered one after trade week is concluded.

I’m still waiting to hear who our target could be. Apart from Lord who we might not have trade collateral for if we succesfully land Houston.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That better option may well be through the draft so they’re under the pump regardless of Lord.

And given Reef played his last few games in defence there no guarantee even if he was kept that he’d be a back up key forward.
A kpf draftee (which I agree is a good idea) won’t help our 2025 depth though. Will be a late or rookie pick so very blue sky.

eyre played some vfl forward so back at ya on that one!

that's right ..and he shut Lachie Neale down in 23 GF and look what happened with Neale in gf 24
In our game at Marvel against the Lions just a month or two before the GF, Neale destroyed Mitchell. Was pleasantly surprised how well Mitchell did on Neale in the GF, evened out the ledger a bit. Hopefully he can get back near to his best this year, we'll see.

According to Harry O, he says long has already been delisted. Just waiting for the announcement so it might be a moot point
Well not offered a contract at his exit interview. And not given any indication one was in the offing. But like all fringe types they will wait until end of trade period before any official decision

That's not entirely true, look at Dear at Hawks, he played a role for them this year in his 1st.
I wouldnt be delisting Kreugs or Reef on the outside chance of that eventuality. There are other ways to make room on the list.

Besides, Dear was a father- son. Just because nobody bothered to bid on him doesn’t mean he would have gone that low if it was a genuine open market.

Delisting Long would be a last choice for me. His failings in the games he got seemed to be based around uncertainty whether he should be the one to take the ball. I thought he deferred to players he saw as more qualified and just did not go when he should. A show of confidence from his team mates may be all that he needs. This is a TV only observation, however and may be far from reality.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back