List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who thinks that Houston won't improve our game significantly has probably not seen him play. His kicking breaks lines and will dramatically improve our transition. He also moves the ball from backline to forward line very quickly which suits our game with not as many key position forwards. This quick transition presents players like May, Lever, Andrews and Weitering setting up down the line for intercept marks. This quick transition also puts panic into defences.

I don’t think anyone doubts Houston is an excellent player and improves us next year
The concern is more the cost to get Port to agree to the trade and the fact it does not help fix our midfield and key position stocks which are about to fall off a cliff with retirements

I don’t think anyone doubts Houston is an excellent player and improves us next year
The concern is more the cost to get Port to agree to the trade and the fact it does not help fix our midfield and key position stocks which are about to fall off a cliff with retirements
We just recruited Perryman for our midfield. We could still land a kp player during the trade period. And there are a few good kpf's in the draft.

I reckon in this unique instance it's probably worth overpaying?

• Backs are a far more reliable known quantity
  • McGuane is coming in next year and we should have the points for him even if we give up our first
  • We're freeing up a TONNE of cap space next year so we can have a genuine crack at 2-3 genuine gun RFAs like LDU

The media are spinning the line that pick 13 might open up the deal for Houston but since when have Port dropped their demand for two 1st round selections for a dual and reigning AA? It's like this is being forgotten.

If it was North and their future selection then sure one would probably suffice as that's likely to be a top 4 selection.

As for us, Richards at the very best equates to a late 2nd round selection. That's even assuming he departs.

Our pick 36 at a minimum will need to be added IMO.

I actually think we could possibly put ourselves in a stronger bargaining position for Houston with a little something left over by hoping GC accepts.....

Future 1st, Noble, 36, 51, 54

for

13, 23, 29

13, 23 + Richards for Houston vs Carlton 12, future 1st?

Take 29 to the draft and fill the remaining 2 minimum selections required with end of draft best of the rest. Every year their are players tipped to be drafted but have to wait until rookie etc. Hopefully this season given the supposed depth on offer a few more diamonds in the rough will be possible.

The way I see it our future 1st and Noble is overs for pick 13 but this is evened out by receiving 23 and 29 for 36, 51 and 54. Those points collectively are worth 981 and equate to around pick 18 (985) for GC. After the 20% discount they would cover a bid at pick 13 for their academy player.

Like every other scenario God knows what's actually achievable and what remains pure BF fantasy.

He is absolutely a role player, that is what we recruited him for. He is at Collingwood to play the inside midfielder role. Do you view him otherwise?
The way I took it is, you're making Mitchell sound like he's an average gap filler. To even think that, is blasphemy.
He's a star and Brownlow medalist. He might not be fast but he's brilliant at what he does. I see him being rested here and there, to give his career longevity.

I understand.

I rather win a premiership next year than worry about the future years.
Sure, but that will always be the case. There has to be a time when the longer term future is a focus. If not you get stuck on a treadmill of constantly looking for gap filling players each year. Given that you've stayed up and don't have a heap of capital, those players are usually NQR - older, have issues, not yet realised potential etc, so the chances of becoming a real contender dwindle as the years pass.

This is the track Geelong have been on. So far they've not yet elevated to true contender and I'm not sure they will.

For us, we have a generational player who is 21. There is real tension between bringing in older players who will help us win right now and bringing in young players to play with Nick for a decade. Topping up with older players might bring us immediate success but it won't build a dynasty, those require a young core. Dynasties are extremely hard to build (doubly so because we will struggle to bottom out) so it's not necessarily wrong to not try for it, but there is the risk we end up building sqauds that are good but never quite Premiership good, a bit like we did when Buckley was playing.

My strong preference is that we'd built a strong young core around Nick. Unfortunately things didn't line up that way and we had to go and win a Premiership instead of building a young squad 😅. From here the question each year for the next few is going to be between looking to the longer or shorter term. At the moment it seems we're going for a mix which is probably the right idea, especially as the "shorter" term options (Schultz, Perryman) are more medium term than short.

Collingwood give: Noble, Richards, F1
Collingwood receive: Houston

GC give: Lukosious, 13
GC receive: Noble, F1 (pies) pick 39 (Port)

Port give: Houston, pick 39
Port receive: Lukosious, Richards, pick 13

Who says no?

GC would definitely say no. We would need to give more to get pick 13 off GC.

Would be absolutely deliriously happy if it did though. Houston, Naicos, Jaicos that is some supremely talented foot skills on one team.

He is absolutely a role player, that is what we recruited him for. He is at Collingwood to play the inside midfielder role. Do you view him otherwise?
Got ya, every one is a role player.

Here is what will happen.

We will give our F1 and Noble to GC for their pick 13 and F3.
We will then give 13 and Richards (and probably R3) to Port for Houston.
We sign Tomlinson.
We then win the 2025 flag.

Quaynor, Tomlinson, Howe
Houston, Moore, Maynard
J Daics, Perryman, Crisp
Schultz, Mihocek, McCreery
Elliott, McStay, Hill
Cameron, De Goey, N Daics
Cox, Pendles, Sidebottom, Mitchell. Sub: WHE.

As if Port are gonna give up Houston for pick 13 and Richards. The more reasonable price would be pick 13, our future first, Richards and a Port future second to go to GC.

So it would be:

GC
Give up: Lukosious, pick 13
Gain: Noble, Port/Pies future first, Port future second

Pies
Give up: Noble, Richards, future first
Gain: Houston

Port
Give up: Houston, future second, future first
Gain: Pick 13, Richards, Lukosious, Pies future first.

Obviously Port decide which future first they want to keep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be absolutely deliriously happy if it did though. Houston, Naicos, Jaicos that is some supremely talented foot skills on one team.

💯

I’m trying to temper my excitement as unsure if we are a realistic chance of landing him but the prospect of having Houston and Josh behind the ball and Nick and Pendles in the middle is jaw dropping. That would be our biggest point of difference in the league as no other team would come close to this level of skill by foot and by position. You could see us scoring heavily from R50 again and putting it to our forward advantage or to space with two zone-slicing kicks out of defence.

And in today’s game there’s a lot you can do to stop a team dominating clearance (set up defensive zone), or playing the typical slingshot handball and run out of defence (block the corridor) but there isn’t much you can do when a team finds millimeter perfect diagonal kicks out of defence and inside 50 consecutively :)

As if Port are gonna give up Houston for pick 13 and Richards. The more reasonable price would be pick 13, our future first, Richards and a Port future second to go to GC.

So it would be:

GC
Give up: Lukosious, pick 13
Gain: Noble, Port/Pies future first, Port future second

Pies
Give up: Noble, Richards, future first
Gain: Houston

Port
Give up: Houston, future second, future first
Gain: Pick 13, Richards, Lukosious, Pies future first.

Obviously Port decide which future first they want to keep.
That seems pretty fair & balanced.

By what metric is Noble and a future first not enough for pick 13? They’re getting a future first rounder which could range from probably about 10-18 plus a player they’ve offered a 4 year deal to. Why would we need to give more?

By what metric is Noble and a future first not enough for pick 13? They’re getting a future first rounder which could range from probably about 10-18 plus a player they’ve offered a 4 year deal to. Why would we need to give more?

That's a shocking deal for us.

We couldn't be that stupid to give up a future first. surely

That's a shocking deal for us.

We couldn't be that stupid to give up a future first. surely
You’re not looking at the proposed deal as a whole. We’d be giving up F1, Noble and Richards for Houston.

Go back and look at the deal that was quoted by F&B.

I reckon in this unique instance it's probably worth overpaying?

• Backs are a far more reliable known quantity
  • McGuane is coming in next year and we should have the points for him even if we give up our first
  • We're freeing up a TONNE of cap space next year so we can have a genuine crack at 2-3 genuine gun RFAs like LDU
Do we know what we will need for McGuane?
Changes coming for F/S picks. Not sure when, but I don’t think the points system will be retained in its entirety.

I know people may disagree with me, but Houston is worth noble, Richards and our future first. 2 half decent players and an unknown draft pick for 1 of the best players in the comp

Draft picks are so overrated and I am glad that the club seems to agree.

Houston is an absolute gun. I would put him in the 10 most damaging kicks in the comp.

However, I get it if people think otherwise.

Do we know what we will need for McGuane?
Changes coming for F/S picks. Not sure when, but I don’t think the points system will be retained in its entirety.

Next year I believe you’re just getting less points than before.

We should still be able to cover it allegedly even without our first

You’re not looking at the proposed deal as a whole. We’d be giving up F1, Noble and Richards for Houston.

Go back and look at the deal that was quoted by F&B.

Makes more sense now but I still think it is more than we need to give up.

What Port receive is significantly more than what Carlton are prepared to give up? Port would receive two firsts and Richards?

But if it meant Houston and Fly wanted it then let's go.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back