List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton must be eyeing someone off with pick 11- either is a separate trade or through the draft, otherwise, why wouldn’t you get the deal done using that pick knowing that’s what Port want and you have two FS coming.
Unless they don’t have much confidence in the Campo twins?

You seem caught up on the words "hold up". As I've said, it's just speculation on why his intentions haven't been declared, no different than your speculation.

Agree that deals play out with different levels of public statements. I was just wondering whether there is some uncertainty on the Port side. Given Richards is a minor deal it's quite possible there would be certain conditions where they'd decide against a deal.

Alternatively there could be uncertainty on Richards side, or no uncertainty at all.
Yes…. it’s not a holdup. You finally got the point.

We’re dicking a lot of players around this trade period.

IIRC, this sometimes happens to a player or two, but I don’t remember it ever happening before on this scale.

Krueger
McInnis
Sullivan
Macrae
Dean
Bytel
Long

For a club that works so hard on culture, this couldn’t be good?

I’m wondering if there’s a chance that we’ve told one or more of them that “Don’t worry, you’ll be playing AFL footy next year. What’s yet to be determined is (a) where, (b) how much you’ll get paid and (c) whether you’ll be on a senior or a rookie list.”

If didn’t want them on our list next year, then we would have simply delisted them (see Aiden Begg)
The rest of them are made to wait, but not sure why you have macrae on there? He's contracted, so he isn't in the same boat as those OOC on that list.

IIRC, this sometimes happens to a player or two, but I don’t remember it ever happening before on this scale.

Krueger
McInnis
Sullivan
Macrae
Dean
Bytel
Long

I’m wondering if there’s a chance that we’ve told one or more of them that “Don’t worry, you’ll be playing AFL footy next year. What’s yet to be determined is (a) where, (b) how much you’ll get paid and (c) whether you’ll be on a senior or a rookie list.”

If didn’t want them on our list next year, then we would have simply delisted them (see Aiden Begg)
Pretty normal ahead of trade week.

Pretty sure macrae is contracted . Sullivan Bytel and long as recent rookies quite rightly need to wait. Dean I think is a rookie and likely has been told privately he’ll be ok unless we miraculously land a few kpds

It’s really only Kreugs and reef on the senior list that need to watch and wait.

Krueger
McInnis
Sullivan
Macrae
Dean
Bytel
Long

Most of those players listed would be fortunate to receive a contract / be retained for next season.

Leppa is casting a much needed fresh set of eyes over the list.

COLLINGWOOD​

2024 FINISH: 9TH (12-2-9)​

DRAFT PICKS: 36, 51, 54
TARGETS: Harry Perryman (UFA), Dan Houston, Ben Hobbs
DEPARTING: Aiden Begg (delisted), Josh Carmichael, Nathan Murphy (retired)
STILL WAITING: Nathan Kreuger, Reef McInnes, Jack Bytel, Joe Richards, Lachie Sullivan, Charlie Dean, Ned Long, Josh Eyre
HOW THE DEALS GET DONE: The Pies have already likely had their biggest win of October, with Perryman walking in as a free agent. They have entered the race for another win by courting Houston but any trade there will be heavily reliant on securing Gold Coast’s pick 13 for wantaway backman John Noble, in a deal that would see Collingwood sent another pick back to Gold Coast. Even then, the Pies will have to stump up something else. Could that be unsigned forward Joe Richards? Collingwood has been sniffing around some others – including James Peatling – but missed on Mark Keane. The Suns have the Jack Lukosius deal to handle first and then could flip picks to the Pies.
TEAM NEEDS: For a team that won a flag in 2023 and almost kept the team together, there are a few holes here. Craig McRae declared he wanted a key forward but that market is small. A Nathan Murphy replacement is sorely needed. As is some young legs in the midfield.
WHY NOT: Would a future first open up a conversation with Port Adelaide about Ollie Lord? The young tall kicked four goals in a qualifying final in 2023 but he played just six times this year. You have to get creative to find a young key forward.

Thanks for that, although it states that Port have the sh*ts up with Carlton, I dont see anything linking us to him.
I was just wondering if anybody has heard something from the club itself.
Or is it just countless pages of wishful thinking, as we approach trade time.

Collingwood give: Noble, Richards, F1
Collingwood receive: Houston

GC give: Lukosious, 13
GC receive: Noble, F1 (pies) pick 39 (Port)

Port give: Houston, pick 39
Port receive: Lukosious, Richards, pick 13

Who says no?
Lukosius's value depends on how much Port have to pay him, so that would be a big part of the negotiation.

I'm a bit too happy with the Pies part, so seems likely that we'd have to throw in the second round pick rather than Port (or preferably our two thirds) and then Port and GC would work out the balance between them regarding Lukosius's salary.

Last edited:

COLLINGWOOD​

STILL WAITING: Nathan Kreuger, Reef McInnes, Jack Bytel, Joe Richards, Lachie Sullivan, Charlie Dean, Ned Long, Josh Eyre
HOW THE DEALS GET DONE: The Pies have already likely had their biggest win of October, with Perryman walking in as a free agent. They have entered the race for another win by courting Houston but any trade there will be heavily reliant on securing Gold Coast’s pick 13 for wantaway backman John Noble, in a deal that would see Collingwood sent another pick back to Gold Coast. Even then, the Pies will have to stump up something else. Could that be unsigned forward Joe Richards? Collingwood has been sniffing around some others – including James Peatling – but missed on Mark Keane. The Suns have the Jack Lukosius deal to handle first and then could flip picks to the Pies.
TEAM NEEDS: For a team that won a flag in 2023 and almost kept the team together, there are a few holes here. Craig McRae declared he wanted a key forward but that market is small. A Nathan Murphy replacement is sorely needed. As is some young legs in the midfield.
WHY NOT: Would a future first open up a conversation with Port Adelaide about Ollie Lord? The young tall kicked four goals in a qualifying final in 2023 but he played just six times this year. You have to get creative to find a young key forward.

A future first for Lord?, I hope we never have to get that creative. Late second at best

COLLINGWOOD​

I think we're unlikely to get Houston.
I'd sooner trade our F1 into this year's draft and pick up one, or more of the talls (Whitlocks, Faull, Shanahan etc.).
F1 would be a high price for Lord, and I'd think Port want to keep him anyway, given Dixon has retired and a possible query on Marshall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lukosius's value depends on how much Port have to pay him, so that would be a big part of the negotiation.

I'm a bit too happy with the Pies part, so seems likely that we'd have to throw in the second round pick rather than Port (or preferably our two thirds) and then Port and GC would work out the balance regarding Lukosius's salary.
They’ve offered him a 6 year deal iirc, assuming to smooth out his payments. I’m working on the assumption that GC would like something significant in return for Lukosious from Port. This deal from my perspective, sees pick 13 having roughly the same value as our F1 for the suns given they need the points next year and should be able to split the pick next year. Then they get Noble and a later pick for Lukosious, which is once again very good value for them imo.
Port are able to grab Lukosious for a relatively cheap price, especially if the pick is their 3rd rounder, then they get 13 and Richards for Houston, which is probably unders but offset by Luko being such a cheap trade.

I’m not trying to toot my own horn but i reckon it’s a pretty good deal for all parties in regards to what they’re giving/getting.

COLLINGWOOD​

A future 1st for Lord? Who wrote this Kochie? 2nd rounder at most.

Its carlton's fault there is an opening to swoop. Houston wants to go to carlton but Port won't answer the phone to them unless they are offering a top 15 pick.

So very interesting times coming up.

They won't be fans of us either after we Swooped Late and Stole Perryman from them

They’ve offered him a 6 year deal iirc, assuming to smooth out his payments. I’m working on the assumption that GC would like something significant in return for Lukosious from Port. This deal from my perspective, sees pick 13 having roughly the same value as our F1 for the suns given they need the points next year and should be able to split the pick next year. Then they get Noble and a later pick for Lukosious, which is once again very good value for them imo.
Port are able to grab Lukosious for a relatively cheap price, especially if the pick is their 3rd rounder, then they get 13 and Richards for Houston, which is probably unders but offset by Luko being such a cheap trade.

I’m not trying to toot my own horn but i reckon it’s a pretty good deal for all parties in regards to what they’re giving/getting.
I doubt GC are thinking like that. They know their pick 13 holds a fair bit more value than our future first. It'd be like someone who wants to move to the country being happy with a straight swap of their city house for a cheaper house in the country.

Bottom line is Port want two first rounders as their starting price.

The deal that Apex posted works perfectly to suit all parties, and is the most likely way it gets done.

The hold up is Richards not declaring what he is doing, but you would imagine he would have already signed if he was staying, although Fly mentioned he was looking forward to him playing for us in years to come.

Port could trade F2 for Lukosuis and keep Houston, which is why he hasn't nominated anywhere yet.

So much going on behind the scenes and soon enough we will find out what it is.

Fly made it sound he at least Verbally said he will stay

I doubt GC are thinking like that. They know their pick 13 holds a fair bit more value than our future first. It'd be like someone who wants to move to the country being happy with a straight swap of their city house for a cheaper house in the country.
In terms of potential ladder position a pick swap for 13 is likely to be slightly in collingwoods favour. As compared to last year where from position 1, we only had one way to go…. This year trading a future first for a current first after finishing tenth is much more a flip of the coin.

That’s of course looking at the pick swap on a standalone basis.

Krueger
McInnis
Sullivan
Macrae
Dean
Bytel
Long

Sounds like we have lot of Targets during the Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back