List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

We’re dicking a lot of players around this trade period.

IIRC, this sometimes happens to a player or two, but I don’t remember it ever happening before on this scale.

Krueger
McInnis
Sullivan
Macrae
Dean
Bytel
Long

For a club that works so hard on culture, this couldn’t be good?

I’m wondering if there’s a chance that we’ve told one or more of them that “Don’t worry, you’ll be playing AFL footy next year. What’s yet to be determined is (a) where, (b) how much you’ll get paid and (c) whether you’ll be on a senior or a rookie list.”

If we didn’t want them on our list next year, then we would have simply delisted them (see Aiden Begg)
We're leaving all our options open to try & bring in better players than those on the fringe.

Smart by Leppa, imo.

With Marshall uncertain and Dixon retired it would be crazy from Port to get rid of him, who’s gonna be their tall target? Esava?
They've got Lukosius coming in, Georgiades is good. Play Esava as second ruck and meathead to wrestle in packs. Even if Marshall goes Lord is most likely depth for either Port or us. And he's 4 or 5 years into his AFL career. He's tracking like Weideman if you ask me. Has some ability but you wouldn't bet much on him. I wouldn't really care if he was included or not.

Last edited:
I've been told by someone that should know it's:

Give : 13 & 23 (Noble F1 36) plus Richards
Get: Houston & Lord

Don't shoot the massager.
I like this but how do we get one of the Whitlock boys with such late draft picks?
Trade someone else?
We are supposed to be into them, are we grooming them for a later snipe attack? I'll be into that 😤

That would be a great outcome for us but excuse my pessimism coming from someone with 1 post who joined 36 mins ago.

Hypothetically if it happened (and we added Tomlinson as a DFA) we use the two 50s picks this draft to take best of the rest (we seem better at nailing those late picks than the ones in the 20s anyway).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They only report the headline part of a proposed deal and not the likely balancing components.

Just look at Carlton and Port - 2 teams that like most want to participate in the draft - and their attitudes to current vs future first. It's a requirement for us to get pick 13, as it's valued more highly than our future first.
Honestly it feels like you’re so accustomed to Collingwood walking away with poor deals that you don’t understand our negotiating position here.
GC have made an offered to a contracted best 22 player of ours, and we have reportedly requested that pick 13 is a part of that deal in some way shape or form. Our player has also publicly said that he is happy to stay at Collingwood next year if a suitable deal can’t be reached.
Now if you’re GC and the deal I posted was proposed to you, whereby you get your targeted player, and you get fair value for the pick you’ve given up, in addition to offloading an unwanted asset in Lukosious, and gaining cap space, so you say no and risk the prospect of missing out on Noble completely just because you might be able to get some extra points for pick 13 from another club?
Or do you look at the deal and think, “well it’s not absolute maximum value for pick 13, but it’s still fair value and gives me everything that I want, which is future points, cap space, and the contracted player I’m pursuing that Collingwood don’t really want to lose”.

The whole point of a 3 way deal is to have all parties walk away satisfied that they got fair value for their assets and acquired their targets. So no, this isn’t the best deal they can get for 13 in isolation. But it would probably be the best deal they could get in order to obtain everything they want out of this trade period, or at least close to it.

I usually pay my massagers, shooting them tends to get the police involved.

We’re dicking a lot of players around this trade period.

IIRC, this sometimes happens to a player or two, but I don’t remember it ever happening before on this scale.

Krueger
McInnis
Sullivan
Macrae
Dean
Bytel
Long

For a club that works so hard on culture, this couldn’t be good?

I’m wondering if there’s a chance that we’ve told one or more of them that “Don’t worry, you’ll be playing AFL footy next year. What’s yet to be determined is (a) where, (b) how much you’ll get paid and (c) whether you’ll be on a senior or a rookie list.”

If we didn’t want them on our list next year, then we would have simply delisted them (see Aiden Begg)
So what happens if we don't get players in and we've just delisted them...

Every club does this.... It's called being aggressive and trying to improve

So do peeps want to trade pick 13 if we get it for Houston or save it for another deal or the draft? Wasn't there meant to be someone according to Bartel that we have not publicly stated yet? We may find out tomorrow.

Carlton must be eyeing someone off with pick 11- either is a separate trade or through the draft, otherwise, why wouldn’t you get the deal done using that pick knowing that’s what Port want and you have two FS coming.
Unless they don’t have much confidence in the Campo twins?

Campo twins sliding down the power rankings means they’d be confident getting a top kid with 11 and nabbing both of them. Just seems they’re hell bent on ruining another 1st round draft picks career, but it’s a good strategy. Personally wouldn’t hesitate to spend it on Houston if I was them but they’re renowned for their greed.

I doubt GC are thinking like that. They know their pick 13 holds a fair bit more value than our future first. It'd be like someone who wants to move to the country being happy with a straight swap of their city house for a cheaper house in the country.

Yes. 13 is the likely more valuable pick than our future 1st, but they get Noble for the downgrade don’t they?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back