List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Carlton will be desperate to get Houston and will succumb to Port’s demands in the end. If it unfolds this way or Houston stays at Port I hope we get into Miles Bergman and management’s ears now and pick him up end of 2025. He’s only 23, can play a Murphy type role as well as wing, has plenty of upside and out of contract end of next year.

If we trade out our F1, can we also trade our F2 or do we need to get another one in?
Trying to remember the rules.

This was in 2022, not sure if the afl changed the rules

"Under the AFL's rules, clubs can trade out a future first-round draft selection but if they do that, must retain the rest of their future selections for that draft. If they trade out a second, third or fourth-round future pick, they must hold their first-rounder for that year."

I reckon Carlton will be desperate to get Houston and will succumb to Port’s demands in the end. If it unfolds this way or Houston stays at Port I hope we get into Miles Bergman and management’s ears now and pick him up end of 2025. He’s only 23, can play a Murphy type role as well as wing, has plenty of upside and out of contract end of next year.
I agree.
Carlton wouldn’t want him to come to us and will likely fold.

Trying to remember the rules.

This was in 2022, not sure if the afl changed the rules

"Under the AFL's rules, clubs can trade out a future first-round draft selection but if they do that, must retain the rest of their future selections for that draft. If they trade out a second, third or fourth-round future pick, they must hold their first-rounder for that year."
So we’ll need to have a second F2 if we wanted to trade one out.

The fact I think we need another forward has nothing to do with those 2 getting injured.

Everyone in here cries we don't have forwards and now we have a chance to recruit and some guys are saying nah don't worry about it they'll be right. Ridiculous

What forward are you going to recruit?
Who is available that you would like to go after in this trade period?
In the draft we can select a prospective tall forward, but with our current picks it would be very much a project player...
If we are able to get back in the first round of the draft and don't use that pick in a trade, then we could get our hands on a key forward who is very good prospect, like a Whitlock or Shanahan
In the meantime we haven't seen Mihocek and McStay play together for a full season as yet over the last 2 years, so maybe we give that combination a go, and reassess after we get a body of work between those two....

Honestly it feels like you’re so accustomed to Collingwood walking away with poor deals that you don’t understand our negotiating position here.
GC have made an offered to a contracted best 22 player of ours, and we have reportedly requested that pick 13 is a part of that deal in some way shape or form. Our player has also publicly said that he is happy to stay at Collingwood next year if a suitable deal can’t be reached.
Now if you’re GC and the deal I posted was proposed to you, whereby you get your targeted player, and you get fair value for the pick you’ve given up, in addition to offloading an unwanted asset in Lukosious, and gaining cap space, so you say no and risk the prospect of missing out on Noble completely just because you might be able to get some extra points for pick 13 from another club?
Or do you look at the deal and think, “well it’s not absolute maximum value for pick 13, but it’s still fair value and gives me everything that I want, which is future points, cap space, and the contracted player I’m pursuing that Collingwood don’t really want to lose”.

The whole point of a 3 way deal is to have all parties walk away satisfied that they got fair value for their assets and acquired their targets. So no, this isn’t the best deal they can get for 13 in isolation. But it would probably be the best deal they could get in order to obtain everything they want out of this trade period, or at least close to it.
Ultimately, I think future first, Noble and Richards for Houston is a great deal - it's unders. Which means someone is paying overs.

Now we can apply all the contracted they're chasing him logic to Noble, but wouldn't it apply even more to Houston with multiple suitors?

I'll be stoked if we do get Houston for Noble, Richards and future first but think it's more likely that we'd have to add in the Hawk second rounder, which I'd still be stoked with.

It seems to me that heaps think we massively overpaid for Schultz yet are valuing a lower rated player in Noble at a similar price and are pivoting deals around that valuation.

Last edited:
We’re dicking a lot of players around this trade period.

IIRC, this sometimes happens to a player or two, but I don’t remember it ever happening before on this scale.

Krueger
McInnis
Sullivan
Macrae
Dean
Bytel
Long

For a club that works so hard on culture, this couldn’t be good?

I’m wondering if there’s a chance that we’ve told one or more of them that “Don’t worry, you’ll be playing AFL footy next year. What’s yet to be determined is (a) where, (b) how much you’ll get paid and (c) whether you’ll be on a senior or a rookie list.”

If we didn’t want them on our list next year, then we would have simply delisted them (see Aiden Begg)

By coincidence, caught up this morning with a family member who is close to the family of one of the boys on your list - and who’s still waiting to know if his contract is extended.

He knows the ropes. He’s been here before. And all involved on his side know that footy can be brutal.

We’re dicking a lot of players around this trade period.

IIRC, this sometimes happens to a player or two, but I don’t remember it ever happening before on this scale.

Krueger
McInnis
Sullivan
Macrae
Dean
Bytel
Long

For a club that works so hard on culture, this couldn’t be good?

I’m wondering if there’s a chance that we’ve told one or more of them that “Don’t worry, you’ll be playing AFL footy next year. What’s yet to be determined is (a) where, (b) how much you’ll get paid and (c) whether you’ll be on a senior or a rookie list.”

If we didn’t want them on our list next year, then we would have simply delisted them (see Aiden Begg)
I don't see the issue. They're contracted employees - "we can't offer you a contract for next year now, but might be able to later on" happens regularly in most industries.

They'll all be acting as though they're delisted and planning for not being there next year - however a couple of them might get lucky and get a contract.

Ultimately, I think future first, Noble and Richards for Houston is a great deal - it's unders. Which means someone is paying overs.

Now we can apply all the contracted they're chasing him logic to Noble, but wouldn't it apply even more to Houston with multiple suitors?

I'll be stoked if we do get Houston for Noble, Richards and future first but think it's more likely that we'd have to add in the Hawk second rounder, which I'd still be stoked with.

It seems to me that heaps think we massively overpaid for Schultz yet are valuing a lower rated player in Noble at a similar price and are pivoting deals around that valuation.
Is 13, Richards and Lukosious unders for Houston and 56?

Of course you can apply that value to Houston. Their current offer for him from Carlton is a future first and Owies. Do you genuinely believe that 13 and a F1 is more valuable than 13, Richards, and being able to gain Lukosious for a late pick?

Yes it’s a great deal for us, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s not a great deal for Port.

No idea what you’re talking about with Nobles value. Schultz was trade for a pick in the early 30’s and a future first rounder, nobody is valuing Noble at even close to that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had a Bachelor Of Commerce. He worked PT with GWS in player welfare, their Football Dept and on the match committee. Was involved with the AIS. Sydney then made him an offer for GM of Football. Now CEO. He is a smart chap

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
FWIW Tom Harley comes from a smart family
His grandfather Bryan Rofe was a rocket scientist (at Woomera rocket range) and his Uncle Paul Rofe QC was a criminal barrister and south australian director of public prosecutions for over a decade…

By coincidence, caught up this morning with a family member who is close to the family of one of the boys on your list - and who’s still waiting to know if his contract is extended.

He knows the ropes. He’s been here before. And all involved on his side know that footy can be brutal.
Which narrows it down to bytel or Long Or Eyre. (though with the latter, He started following perryman on insta, so wonder if thats optimism on his part he may get a contract. TBD)
"been here before"

FWIW Tom Harley comes from a smart family
His grandfather Bryan Rofe was a rocket scientist (at Woomera rocket range) and his Uncle Paul Rofe QC was a criminal barrister and south australian director of public prosecutions for over a decade…
Imagine being at a party.

What do you do?

I’m a rocket scientist

Is 13, Richards and Lukosious unders for Houston and 56?

Yes it’s a great deal for us, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s not a great deal for Port.

No idea what you’re talking about with Nobles value. Schultz was trade for a pick in the early 30’s and a future first rounder, nobody is valuing Noble at even close to that.
Yeah, I think that's well unders for Houston if Lukosius is a salary dump.

As we sit now, yeah I think pick 13 in a draft that has matured to have a strong reputation is worth more than the future first of the reigning premier and a pick in the 30s in a year where that range wasn't valued very highly.

Yeah, I think that's well unders for Houston if Lukosius is a salary dump.

As we sit now, yeah I think pick 13 in a draft that has matured to have a strong reputation is worth more than the future first of the reigning premier and a pick in the 30s in a year where that range wasn't valued very highly.
Is it within the rules if we pick up part of Lukosius salary?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back