Game Day Collingwood v Western Bulldogs 7 July Marvel 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that Mihocek is only listed as out for 1 week at this stage on the AFL website. It's often been said in football circles that there is no such thing as a 1 week hamstring. We shall see.

If we believe Mihocek could benefit from a rest and we're being extra cautious then making that decision in a week when McStay is seemingly set to return and after a terrific victory a tall like Frampton doesn't warrant being omitted it might be the perfect opportunity to get valuable game time in to 2 KPP while resting another before the run home.

While all of us would agree that Mihocek missing wasn't the answer we were after to the whole Frampton/McStay debate, for 1 week at least it would make selection easier while providing a potential benefit for all 3 players.

If we believe Mihocek could benefit from a rest and we're being extra cautious then making that decision in a week when McStay is seemingly set to return and after a terrific victory a tall like Frampton doesn't warrant being omitted it might be the perfect opportunity to get valuable game time in to 2 KPP while resting another before the run home.
If McStay plays and Mihocek does only misses one, then this is plausible. Mihocek a bit sore, possibly could play but McStay returning and don't really want to drop Frampton, give him a week.

Mihocek did seem to reach for his hamstring late in the game though, and supposedly scans have come back showing a slight strain. Think this time we can accept that he is legitimately hurt.

Interesting that Mihocek is only listed as out for 1 week at this stage on the AFL website. It's often been said in football circles that there is no such thing as a 1 week hamstring. We shall see.

While all of us would agree that Mihocek missing wasn't the answer we were after to the whole Frampton/McStay debate, for 1 week at least it would make selection easier while providing a potential benefit for all 3 players.
Last year Checkers was banged up come finals. Smart move by the club to allow Checkers to listen to his body and have a rest.

I would be happy to trust Cox and Cameron to rotate up forward and go with a mobile small forward line.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

I'd put my faith in DeGoey at FF with Cox resting there a little.
Jordan is a hard match up for any team in that spot.
Faith in our midfield doing the job with Jordy in the guts for minimal minutes each quarter.

Don't trust Reef just yet.
Centre bounce - Nick - De Goey - goal.
That should work nicely!

Come On GIF by Max

You’d think we utilise one of Cox or Cameron as a full time forward this week alongside McStay. Dogs are pretty thin back there so it’s a good chance to stretch them.

Frampton has a good match up with Lobb and can follow him into the ruck. Moore to Naughton, Murphy to JHF and Howe giving them a chop out.

You’d think we utilise one of Cox or Cameron as a full time forward this week alongside McStay. Dogs are pretty thin back there so it’s a good chance to stretch them.

Frampton has a good match up with Lobb and can follow him into the ruck. Moore to Naughton, Murphy to JHF and Howe giving them a chop out.
I think they'll go with Elliott out of the square again and bring in Reef. PS, I don't think Horne Francis is playing

I was thinking the same in regards to DeGoey. With Checkers out, and Naicos doing magical things in the midfield, could we play DeGoey as the key forward this Friday night?
JDG needs to play predominantly mid

That's how we win Finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to see Elliott back in form but with Checkers out, I think we need to bring in both McStay AND Johnson. We will need more overhead marking and goal-kicking targets to avoid being too predictable and the double-teaming of the few tall forward players that we’ll have out there.

Cameron isn’t the answer - he has kicked only one goal this season and that was a crumbed snap last start against the Suns.

OUT of 23 - Mihochek, Harrison, Cameron
INTO 23 - DeGoey, Johnson, McStay

Frampton and McStay/Johnson to prove Ruck relief when Cox needs a break.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Detective stories are always among my favourites. From the mystery stories of Agatha Cristie to James Ellroy’s bloody LA Confidential. I like intrigue – and this week we get plenty of mystery. It will be a fascinating watch against the Bulldogs and will take a hard-drinking, tortured yet genius detective to be able to puzzle out Friday night’s plot.

Clue number one: The Bulldogs have some of the most impressive talls in the competition. I mean, Ugle-Hagan is now their number one forward, which makes Naughton their second. Even Rory Lobb, who has been disappointing for years, can mark a game. Their ruckman might dominate ours. Then they have some talented juniors not even in the team.

Clue number two: The Bulldogs have a great midfield, capable of tearing the ball out of the pack and into space with handballs. Bontempelli, Smith, Treloar, Macrae, Liberatore -- all are elite in their own way. We might even see an old Magpie, Caleb Poulter, loping like some lonely giraffe on the wings.

Clue number three: The Bulldog’s defence is not elite. Even if Richards comes back in, they don’t have the Key Backs or the counter-attacking half-backs to make them elite. They are vulnerable.

Clue number four: The Might Magpies are in sublime form. With a midfield of De Goey, N Daicos, Mitchell, J Daicos, WHE, Taylor Adams, Pendlebury, Crisp, Lipinski. We have magnificent balance, elite inside players, elite outside runners.

Clue number five: The Magpie forward line hasn’t hit elite form. Mihocek looks banged up. McStay was meant to give him big-bodied support, but Dan has managed to somehow miss almost the entire year (Not happy Dan!), Johnson has been dropped for poor form and one-dimensionality, Kreuger knocks himself out at the sheer sight of an oval, McInnis can’t quite put it together at AFL level, Cameron and Cox are inconsistent, Frampton is better suited to defence. Questions abound.

The Washup

The clues make for a fascinating mystery, but in the end there will only be one body – that of the Bulldogs.

The Magpies by 23 as they get away with murder!
Good assessment, I had the dogs pinned as a premiership favourite before the season started…they began poorly…but have hit some form. Premiership teams tend to play better post bye.

Will be good to yes ourselves against some proper opposition.

McStay will probably come straight in now if over his illness and Cox will stay in as predominately forward.

JDG will be midfield.
If McStay needed some VFL minutes last week, which he didn't get, I don't see how he comes straight in this week?

It's going to be interesting to see what the selectors do.

I'm guessing, now Mihocek is out that McStay comes in, DeGoey of course.

Out: Harrison, Markov or Adams to the sub vest? Unless we want to rest another one of the elder statesmen and give them the sub.

Edited - I might be in the minority but when we are at full strength I’d actually like to see Nick D on a Back Flank again.
The mids would be a mix of Mitchell, JDG, Pendlebury, Crisp, Adams, Lipinski, Elliott, Steele and J Daicos.
When Nick is in the backline we still get 30 plus posessions but we get amazing delivery and creativity that sets us up like no one else can do.
He can always be swung into the mids or forward if we need.

Last edited:
I might be in the minority but when we are at full strength I’d actually like to see Nick D on a Back Flank again.
The mids would be a mix of Mitchell, Pendlebury, Crisp, Adams, Lipinski, Elliott, Steele and J Daicos.
When Nick is in the backline we still get 30 plus posessions but we get amazing delivery and creativity that sets us up like no one else can do.
I don't think we'll see Nick at half back again this year. Why wouldn't you go with Mitchell, JDG and nick as the starting mids, we want to win a flag

I might be in the minority but when we are at full strength I’d actually like to see Nick D on a Back Flank again.
The mids would be a mix of Mitchell, Pendlebury, Crisp, Adams, Lipinski, Elliott, Steele and J Daicos.

I guess he goes to where he's most useful. But I think his goal-kicking and forward-50 delivery will be more devastating if he's playing midfield. So I'd start him there and if necessary move him forward or back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back