Collingwood vs StKilda - NAB Cup Round 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good competitive hit out first up and it appears that there are no injuries. Happy with that. Cloke's kicking was poor but I was happy with his game, Leigh Brown played well as did Ball.

To those who thought N. Brown was ahead of Presti (not many but there were some) - think again.

Not making excuses, but man the umpiring was complete shit. The last quarter and a half was pretty good, just needed to kick straight. Shaw was our best, very good game from him.

I turned the radio off, I am now turning the TV off.

On the ride home from the game, all they could talk about was how good StKilda were, I sincerely do not get it.

As pointed out, we actually had the younger team out there tonight, yet somehow they get all the credit.

I simply don't care what any "media" person says, we played well tonight and it was actually the perfect result.

Next week, wherever we play (rumours are Alice Springs or Mount Gambier) at least the surface will be better then what it was tonight, and we don't have to play with those stupid rules.

Score tonight;

Collingwood 14.12.96
StKilda 15.4. 94

Umm, hello, in a normal game we win.:)

Good result, as I said, maybe perfect, enjoyed the night, didn't really care if we won or lost, although it still sucked when the siren went and StKilda supporters acted like ********s again.:thumbsdown:

I said early in the week

Leigh Brown will be our starting FF all year

Also Brown or Reid wont play this year unless we face a very tall team it will be

Presti, Goldsack, Toovey, Maxwell, OBrien, Shaw

Leigh Brown has cemented his spot in the 22.

Hopefully! It was great seeing him get out there and have a ripper after everyone saying he wouldn't break into the side this year. Wonder where he'll play once Anthony returns.

Disappointed we didn't win but mainly because our next match won't be televised. Really the match was there for the taking but we didn't finish well.

Some positives:
Jolly started slow but lifted us, Ball was a terrier, Trav moved well and was a good target, Medhurst seemed 100pc, Ben reid seemed good until late stuff-up. Wellingham looked good and could be ready to step up, Harry was good and so was presti when he came on.

Negatives: Nathan Brown had poor game though he was stiff with a 50m penalty, Buckley was awful, Didak couldn't shake his tag, Johnno was shocking early but fought back, some awful turnovers deep in defence cost us goals.

all in all, a good hitout and onwards and upwards.

Hopefully! It was great seeing him get out there and have a ripper after everyone saying he wouldn't break into the side this year. Wonder where he'll play once Anthony returns.

Looks to have gotten his kicking right aswell.

We only played for a bit over a quarter and only lost by a point. Better kicking at goal and a few soft free-kicks less to St. Kilda and we would have won by 5 goals plus.

Beams was impressive, Jolly started off shaky but got better as the game went on, Ball was good and Leigh Brown was fantastic. If we can play like that for the whole 4 quarters we can take it to any side, but thats still an "if".

Looking forward to the home and away season

I Thought beams looked really good through the middle when he eventually came on the ground, most of our guns were pretty quiet pendles, dids, swan and leon.

Trav looked really strong just treated dawson like a ragdoll at stages and seemed to be covering ground well, leroy goes without saying, I doubt if ja would have done better than his contribution, and heater played really good.

N Brown looked way out of his depth and got outmarked by most of their tall forwards at different stages, also did anyone notice if reid was on kosi all night? Didn't see him on riewoldt at all.

Thought we really struggled to get the 3rd man up in our defensive 50.

Pretty average effort for us, with alot of players failing to fire a shot and yet we should have won had we kicked slightly better.

Plenty of room for improvement on that effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Nathan Brown & Ben Reid are ear marked for our defence this year....be afraid. :eek:
Sorry, disagree completely about Ben Reid, he was immense tonight, spectacular, killed Kosizctchke, absolutely smashed him, the only goal Kosi kicked was another player.

Ben Reid is in our best 22 now, Nathan Brown has a long way to go though.

Play Brown forward WTF are they thinking, he's not a backman.
Can I assume you were backpacking through Belarus in 2008?

Does anyone else think Riewoldt looked tiny tonight? Like he's lost a lot of muscle since last year maybe...

Loved Ball's game, Jolly was a sight to behold, Clokey looked great at times, was great to see him getting a fair bit of touch in spurts. Leigh Brown could have a smashing few years for us, he is just about to turn 28....I can see him playing a similar role to Molloy (protecting the younger fellas, providing some enforcement, and just being a big presence on the field. Medhurst looks to be back and flying (gawd he is amazing). Beamsey has such a cool head and reads the play so well, great to see him looking so comfortable in just his second year.
yaaahooooo FOOTY is back!

Good game of footy.

Good Signs: Cloke, Medhurst, Beams, Sidebottom amongst others.

New Recruits: Jolly and Ball good. Buckley = VFL. He's just not strong enough in the contest.

Thank God it's back.

Can I assume you were backpacking through Belarus in 2008?

Does anyone else think Riewoldt looked tiny tonight? Like he's lost a lot of muscle since last year maybe...

Loved Ball's game, Jolly was a sight to behold, Clokey looked great at times, was great to see him getting a fair bit of touch in spurts. Leigh Brown could have a smashing few years for us, he is just about to turn 28....I can see him playing a similar role to Molloy (protecting the younger fellas, providing some enforcement, and just being a big presence on the field. Medhurst looks to be back and flying (gawd he is amazing). Beamsey has such a cool head and reads the play so well, great to see him looking so comfortable in just his second year.
yaaahooooo FOOTY is back!

Please don't wish another Molloy on us. I wasn't a fan at all

My highlight was Trav Cloke, who cares about his kicking, he worked really hard tonight and showed signs that he is ready to step up

Luke Ball was outstanding, 22 touches, 6 tackles, can't ask for anymore.

Others to impress; Shaw is a superstar, Medhurst is back! Reidy killed Kosi, good one to get under the belt, Harry O was also great and L.Brown has dominated 2 games in a row (intra-club and this match, could be a late bloomer haha)

I'm happy, good game, dissapointing result, bring on next week

Thought i'll mention Tarks , had a really good game , great servant of the Club . Expecting us to improve significantly when Pendles fires a shot .

Lockyer showed tonight why he and O'bree will still play every game this year, FOOTBALL SMARTS, we have very few players who actually have a "football brain", but these 2 wily old buggers still know what to do and when to do it.

As for Pendles, he and Swan virtually didnt have a training session between them before Xmas, so they are 3-4 weeks behind the rest, although both got better as the game went on.

Darren Jolly, really, how ****ing good was he, 20 hit outs to King's 12, 2 goals including that monster from outside 50. After the kicked that I said "I've seen what I want to, let's go home", although thankfully I didn't because Luke Ball's last quarter was worth seeing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood vs StKilda - NAB Cup Round 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back