Combined Kurt Tippett contract negotiation/trade possibility thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I respectfully ask at what point you guys will start getting nervous that Kurt hasn't signed?

To draw a parallel, Mitch Clark was rumoured to want to go home (lol) in 2010's trade week. I took that rumour with a grain of salt, but when he was yet to be signed by the start of August I had pretty much resigned myself to losing him. Is the comparison fair, or am I off-target?

Gold Coast are in big trouble. They picked the wrong mature players and all of the "best" young players are going to want a pay rise. Good chance for us to trade some of our fringe players to GCS. Why would Tippo want to go to them they are a basket case.
what do you reckon matera would cost us?

If he wants that much he can go. We shouldn't have to mortgage our future to keep one player. This is coming from a Tippett fan

I'm not saying we should, but Kurt also has the right to maximise his potential earnings and unfortunately I feel some other clubs may be prepared to do "mortgage" their futures for a big key forward like Kurt. Just look at what's being offered to Cloke. This creates a very distorted market, where Kurt is forced to choose between say $500k for 3 years with us and $800-900k with someone else... would be a very tough decision no matter how much he loves our club and believes in our future.

Can I respectfully ask at what point you guys will start getting nervous that Kurt hasn't signed?

To draw a parallel, Mitch Clark was rumoured to want to go home (lol) in 2010's trade week. I took that rumour with a grain of salt, but when he was yet to be signed by the start of August I had pretty much resigned myself to losing him. Is the comparison fair, or am I off-target?

Luckily for us the media is completely focused on Travis Cloke and that is distracting everyone from Kurt. Most people don't start getting worried until there's multiple articles a week from various news outlets. Although having Walker, Danger, Sloane etc already signed and our current good form, everyones not quite so worried about what would happen if we lost Kurt. Personally I'm a little worried, I think it's about 50-50 at this stage, numerous clubs are going hard for Travis Cloke and when they don't get him I worry that they'll turn their attentions to Kurt. I guess the only thing helping us is that he isn't a free agent like Travis.

I'm a little nervous now tbh

It's a little off putting he hasn't signed when the rest of the boys have, considering we have other players we need to sign but can't because of Kurt. The club still thinks he will sign but it's a while away yet.

Who needs Kurt when we have Ricky Henderson? ;)

Seriously though, I still think he'll sign. I wonder if his couple of concussions might even help. A gentle reminder that while his stock is high now, it can all change very quickly with a serious injury.

Andrew Jarman sounded pretty nervous about it and said we'll know by end of July. Never sure how much he really knows though

I think this is very similar to Travis Boak. The longer it goes and he doesn't sign, the greater the risk of him leaving increases.

I think this is very similar to Travis Boak. The longer it goes and he doesn't sign, the greater the risk of him leaving increases.
Which one is missing home more...

Which one is happier his club's future...

To compare these 2 is crazy stuff!

Port's trump is giving Boak the captaincy, but that may not be enough.

$'s are not the main issue for either player.

Which one is missing home more...

Which one is happier his club's future...

To compare these 2 is crazy stuff!

Port's trump is giving Boak the captaincy, but that may not be enough.

$'s are not the main issue for either player.

Until Kurt signs, the odds on him leaving are similar to any other player out of contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who needs Kurt when we have Ricky Henderson? ;)

Seriously though, I still think he'll sign. I wonder if his couple of concussions might even help. A gentle reminder that while his stock is high now, it can all change very quickly with a serious injury.
I actually think his concussions may work the other way.

I agree that they may be a gentle reminder that it could all be gone with a serious injury, which means the extra 300-400K per year that other teams can offer may be worth the decreased chances of team success.

The reality is that all players have a very limited shelf life. It just comes down to whether they are motivated more by team success (eg premierships) or individual success (eg $$ and job security). As fans, we all hope our favourite players are driven by the ultimate success in September. Yet make no mistake there are players who would rather earn the extra coin while they can, and when that extra coin is an extra 300K+ per year, then the decision becomes even more complicated.

Until Kurt signs, the odds on him leaving are similar to any other player out of contract.
If you want to believe that, then so beit.

I'm confident Tippett will remain at the Crows - Boak I'm not so confident on...

If you want to believe that, then so beit.

I'm confident Tippett will remain at the Crows - Boak I'm not so confident on...

6 weeks ago, I was very confident he was staying, the longer it goes the confidence is draining away. 6 weeks ago, I was at 100%, I'm sitting on a 50/50 right now. If he hasn't signed by the finals I think he's gone.

6 weeks ago, I was very confident he was staying, the longer it goes the confidence is draining away. 6 weeks ago, I was at 100%, I'm sitting on a 50/50 right now. If he hasn't signed by the finals I think he's gone.
Patience ;)

Tipp is under contract, there is no rush.

Good things come to those who wait...

Hope you're right as losing him will remove one huge advantage we currently hold over most teams.

Heard from relatively close friend that someone heard from one of the clubs accountants at a function in Melbourne has claimed that Tippet has been offered $1 mill a year to play for the Lions. Not 100% certain, whether this is accurate, but as many of the above posts are suggesting its either loyalty (not to get ahead of myself, but a chance at a premiership) or moola, which will be the catalyst for Tipo's decision. That's certainly not to claim that Brisbane won't make the finals anytime soon.

That's certainly not to claim that Brisbane won't make the finals anytime soon.
Unfortunately for us, I think they're on the march. After going backwards to start the year they look to be consolidating what will be a ripper midfield. Now they need a KPF to share with Brown and a true CHB to complement Merrett and the (injured) Maguire. Will scrape into the eight next year I reckon if these needs are met, and build from there. I reckon they can now afford to sacrifice a Polec if they must (not a Redden though).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back