Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

That article quoting Lloyd and Lyon was trash. ‘Getting another top pick into your club is the last thing you want’ - suggesting added funding for an assistant coach would be better. Are you kidding me? Lloyd can fu** right off.
Let me think another top end talent or another shit coach? Hard decision Lloydy………

Pathetic wanna be bullies love a pile on. They are scavengers, not predators.
Honestly it just doesn't have any value. It's boring. Two years ago they were all telling us that we had a middling list that was going to go nowhere, then we cut our list and it was a "shock", then we struggle after gutting most of our senior depth and they're up there telling us we need to "defend better" - I mean, come on.

It's not that we're not playing poorly and struggling, it's that these people are getting paid for their opinions and they are crepe paper thin analysis. Football media in this country is honestly at the level of high school yard chats IMO.

Where is the analysis of cuts, drafting and retained senior depth and what that says about our priorities?
Where is the analysis of who was kept and why and what that says about the planning the club has done and it's values?
Where are the questions about what type of skillset and team structure we are looking to have in place come 2024 when we would realistically be expecting to have our list bedding down and looking to seriously compete?
Where is the analysis of who we have with value that we should look to leverage for draft capital in the meantime vs who we need to retain to maintain loyalty, experience and minimum cap spend?

Finally - after almost 2 decades of the exact same approach to building by the AFL industry as a whole - where is the analysis of how this is is primarily led by the competition structure and in particular: List sizes, draft system, minimum cap spends and the lack of a proper reserves system.

No, instead we have the media talking about trying harder and generic statements like defence comes first.

I hope the afl give us draft concessions for 3 years in a row and we win a couple of flags and the other teams spew about it for years to come.
It will kill them to give us a priority pick, particularly one at the pointy end. Absolutely kill them.

As much as I would love to see us start winning some games there is a part of me that would almost love for us to dig in, ****ing eyeball the AFL and just not win a game for the next 2 seasons straight just to see the twister esque level of bullshit that would ensue as they, our competitors and all the media leeches went through trying to avoid doing what they wouldn't blink at doing for almost any other club in the land. Just an almighty game of chicken to see when they will blink.

Honestly it just doesn't have any value. It's boring. Two years ago they were all telling us that we had a middling list that was going to go nowhere, then we cut our list and it was a "shock", then we struggle after gutting most of our senior depth and they're up there telling us we need to "defend better" - I mean, come on.

It's not that we're not playing poorly and struggling, it's that these people are getting paid for their opinions and they are crepe paper thin analysis. Football media in this country is honestly at the level of high school yard chats IMO.

Where is the analysis of cuts, drafting and retained senior depth and what that says about our priorities?
Where is the analysis of who was kept and why and what that says about the planning the club has done and it's values?
Where are the questions about what type of skillset and team structure we are looking to have in place come 2024 when we would realistically be expecting to have our list bedding down and looking to seriously compete?
Where is the analysis of who we have with value that we should look to leverage for draft capital in the meantime vs who we need to retain to maintain loyalty, experience and minimum cap spend?

Finally - after almost 2 decades of the exact same approach to building by the AFL industry as a whole - where is the analysis of how this is is primarily led by the competition structure and in particular: List sizes, draft system, minimum cap spends and the lack of a proper reserves system.

No, instead we have the media talking about trying harder and generic statements like defence comes first.

Agree with all this but I wouldn't expect us to be seriously competing until 2025.

Agree with all this but I wouldn't expect us to be seriously competing until 2025.
Yeah. Semantics mostly, when I said "seriously" I was thinking along the lines of winning more often than not as the defining line rather than necessarily being a threat at top 4 / flags but I agree with you. I think all going well that's probably the target point where they'd be realistically expecting to be an opponent to worry about for the best teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The very definition of preaching to the choir.

But seriously, fu** her - continually takes aim at smaller clubs, including a nonsensical vendetta against North, but pays lip service to bigger clubs.
I read this post in a Caro voice and my internal dialogue mechanism almost drowned in saliva saying "nonthenthical".

I know I'm a therial offender when it comes to mocking her lithp, but f*** her.

But seriously, fu** her - continually takes aim at smaller clubs, including a nonsensical vendetta against North, but pays lip service to bigger clubs.

I'll always remember her (non)-treatment of Damian Hardwick's hub personal "hi-jinks".

If that had been at one of her targeted clubs she would've setup a dedicated 24 hours channel Bill Clinton impeachment style to cover it around the clock.

Sacked podcast 2022: Corey McKernan’s troubled relationship with Denis Pagan​

Corey McKernan wasn’t thrilled when he heard Denis Pagan was following him to Carlton. He tells Sacked podcast of his up-and-down relationship with the premiership coach.

Jon Ralph and Glenn Mcfarlane

April 29, 2022 - 12:00PM

DUAL premiership star Corey McKernan says he should have called an end to his decorated career the day Denis Pagan was announced as Carlton’s coach.
McKernan has lifted the lid on the final difficult seasons of his career in the Herald Sun’s Sacked podcast and his strained relationship with legendary coach Pagan.

McKernan says in his final year in his first stint at North Melbourne he felt such pressure to perform he should never have played in a game in which he failed to register a single possession.

In the first of his two seasons at Carlton he was in a deep form slump that saw him fail to gather double-figure possession tallies in six early-season games before bouncing back to win the club’s best-and-fairest.

At one stage he broke down in front of doctor Phil Perlstein as he battled with the stresses of playing.

He believes he would have benefited from the kind of mindfulness training used by Richmond in its recent premiership-winning seasons.

Pagan was famously tough on his players and it wore McKernan down over the years, with the ruck-forward moving to Carlton in 2002, only to be followed a year later by Pagan.

McKernan told Sacked he and Pagan had a deep respect but by the end it was a non-working relationship.

“I always say to people about the reason for wanting a change that there was an enormous amount of respect for Denis Pagan but at the end of the day it wasn’t getting the best out of one another,” McKernan said.

“So that’s why I made the change. I wasn’t enjoying my football and wasn’t enjoying the environment that we were playing in.

“And even though I started very slowly and had those tough times early, to be able to win those Carlton fans over and win the best-and-fairest was one of the best things I ever did in football.”

Then came a bombshell soon after he had won the Blues’ 2002 best and fairest.

Jason McCartney is one of my best mates and he was winding me up saying there is a strong rumour that Denis Pagan is going to come to Carlton,” he said.

“Given I had won the best-and-fairest and gone somewhere else I didn’t take the news as the greatest I had ever heard and so there was some banter going back and forwards.

“I was overseas and landed at Tullamarine Airport and there were no phones allowed so I have got no idea Denis is going to be coach at Carlton and I walked up to the gentleman at customs.

“And he actually took a look at my passport and looked at me and he said, ‘Gee, you’ll be happy with the new coach’.

“That’s when I found out Denis was going to be coaching at Carlton. So I remember I got on the phone to Stephen Kernahan straight away and I wasn’t overly enthused with it.

“It’s not as if we had a toxic relationship or anything like that. It just doesn’t work.

“It was incredibly tough. But I was prepared to give it a go out of respect for the great relationships I have with Stephen Kernahan. Sticks said, ‘Give it a go, big fella’.

“And truth be known, after that first season I should have retired.

“It had taken so much out of me from a mental point of view. And it’s no slight on Denis at all. This is more about the fact that the environment when I played footy didn’t work.

“We both respect one another but it didn’t work where I got the best out of myself and I should have retired after that first year but instead went back to North Melbourne and really just drifted into retirement.”

McKernan says his views on Pagan has softened over the years even if he would have thrived with the praise of his achievements that only came post-career.

“There was an article on great finals performances of all time that (the Herald Sun published). To hear him talk about my performance in the (1996) Grand Final where he said, ‘I know Glenn Archer is one of my favourites but for mine Corey was best on ground’, it meant the world to me. I wished Denis had said something like that when I was playing,” he said.

“Our relationship didn’t work in the end but trust me, for the stuff we did together I am incredibly grateful and I think of the habits Denis has taught me.

One can only laugh at the PP pick talk. You'd think we are the first club ever to be in line to get one.
Under old system teams actively tanked to get PPs, often the year after playing finals, it's how Eagles got Shuey and Darling, which helped set them up for a decade.
So those picks are still influencing the comp a decade later.
Yet somehow North getting one is a huge issue?
We're historically bad but the risk to the comp integrity (lol) is too high? Turn it up.
Apparently it's self inflicted in our case, unlike those teams that actively tanked???? You can't get more self inflicted than deliberately throwing games.
Remember Boomer's 300th at Subi?
I call bullshit on the media for questioning our right to some draft assistance if we deserve it.

Last edited:
Almost every club that finds itself anchored to the bottom of the ladder is there due to self-inflicted choices. The only time it's not self-inflicted is if the list suffers mass and key injuries. In that case, you absolutely don't deserve priority picks as there will be a quick rebound. This is what has happened to Hawthorn and Collingwood this year. So really, the ONLY reason that any club should get priority picks is due to the fact that they are uncompetitive over three years, and that is inevitably because they have taken a wrong turn or two in the years prior, ie self-inflicted. To argue that we don't deserve a PP due to self-inflicted poor choices is to argue against the first premise of the draft, which is equalisation. All you are doing is ensuring that North Melbourne stays on the bottom indefinitely. If that lasts another 2 years, or 5 years, or 10 years, are you still going to argue no priority picks for North Melbourne because way back in the early 2020s, they delisted Jasper Pittard?

Almost every club that finds itself anchored to the bottom of the ladder is there due to self-inflicted choices. The only time it's not self-inflicted is if the list suffers mass and key injuries. In that case, you absolutely don't deserve priority picks as there will be a quick rebound. This is what has happened to Hawthorn and Collingwood this year. So really, the ONLY reason that any club should get priority picks is due to the fact that they are uncompetitive over three years, and that is inevitably because they have taken a wrong turn or two in the years prior, ie self-inflicted. To argue that we don't deserve a PP due to self-inflicted poor choices is to argue against the first premise of the draft, which is equalisation. All you are doing is ensuring that North Melbourne stays on the bottom indefinitely. If that lasts another 2 years, or 5 years, or 10 years, are you still going to argue no priority picks for North Melbourne because way back in the early 2020s, they delisted Jasper Pittard?
Personally I don't think PP's should exist full stop - that doesn't mean I think we should be the test case for a policy change. They have them and those picks have directly benefited our opponents (at our expense). Cough them up or get rid of them completely. Same should apply to all of the academy nonsense. I'd redo the whole draft system if I had my way.

I'll always remember her (non)-treatment of Damian Hardwick's hub personal "hi-jinks".

If that had been at one of her targeted clubs she would've setup a dedicated 24 hours channel Bill Clinton impeachment style to cover it around the clock.
Boris the chicken says “Hi”.

The worse part of listening to SEN during the day is they continually play her podcast commercial to promote it. But it does give me a laugh 😂 when the witch say cristhis (crisis) . She is a vindictive piece of work who uses her newspaper to put our club down.
On a side note cannot watch footy classified because of her but so like the snippets on here from time to time.
Unfortunately she is like a dog with a bone

The worse part of listening to SEN during the day is they continually play her podcast commercial to promote it. But it does give me a laugh 😂 when the witch say cristhis (crisis) . She is a vindictive piece of work who uses her newspaper to put our club down.
On a side note cannot watch footy classified because of her but so like the snippets on here from time to time.
Unfortunately she is like a dog with a bone

She has a podcast? Christ almighty. What type of person would deliberately seek that out to listen to it?

Choose forur digits between zero and nine. Any digits (example: 3, 4, 2, 7).

Using those numbers, pick the word from the four lists that aligns with the corresponding digit you chose (3, 4, 2, 7 yields: dynamically deliver flexible outcomes).

This is how corporate reports are written. To take the piss, I have genuinely done this in more than one workplace - I even showed the buzz phrase generator to my boss and he used it to create powerpoints for the executives and they loved the results.

0​
assertively
1​
dramatically
2​
dynamically
3​
efficiently
4​
energistically
5​
enthusiastically