Toast Conca Coming Of Age

Remove this Banner Ad

Relax cb, lets see what this O'Hanlon kid has in his bag of tricks..understand he hasn't really torn it up yet, but a kinda like the way this kid dont give a ****, in terms of looks laconic in his movements, like he knows that he is good. Slowly does it. Tipping he might be one of those types who bursts onto the scene in one game and then belongs in the big time.

As for King Conc..have no problem watching a kid in his second year, mixing it in the heat, like it was his 10th year. Man he looks like he still has the baby fat on him. Look out when he gets it all together over another pre season or 2.

Jury is out on O'Hanlon for mine. He looks like that traditional Richmond kid we bring in, looks a solid type, but then doesn't progress past year 2.
I think posters forget how young our list is. It will be scary to think how solid our team will be in another 3 years when these kids start hitting the 23-24 age mark.

I stand by that comment. As I said in the reply his kicking might not have the penetration of Cotchin Deledio or Martin but IMO it is just as accurate as them when given the same time and space and no worse than them when under pressure.

He has started in the middle in 2 of the last 3 games since returning, which has seen an increase in his contested ball, clearances and tackles. At the same time its also seen his DE% drop away, from the 80% it to around 60-65% the last 3 weeks.
In the same situation as Conca on the weekend I doubt Deledio , Martin or Cotchin would have made the same errors . IIRC when he kicked the OOB he had a teammate only 20 Metres up the line with no one 10-15 Metres near him . Yes he was on his opposite , but isn't it fair to assume AFL footballers have the ability to kick upon their opposite . It wasn't a hard ask from a professional athelete , nor IMO was the one he kicked to the opposition at CHF which he missed by about Metres .

i have seen more from ellis this year than i have of conca in the past year

I have never seen conca beat a direct opponent in a marking contest or one on one when has the ball when i have seen ellis done all these things.. never have i seen conca show class when we are in need of a goal but i have seen ellis done it (St kilda game)

if you tld some one who watched us for the first time and asked the ellis and Conca were picks 6 and 15 which one was 6 ? and i beat they would say ellis

and if you through the argument that "how were we as posed to know harper or Atley were gonna be better?" well gess what we pay people to know and even people on this board knew
I personally don't think it's fair to compare players based on draft numbers or actions, Ellis is a massive kid compared to Conca, pure muscle, give Conca time.

In the same situation as Conca on the weekend I doubt Deledio , Martin or Cotchin would have made the same errors . IIRC when he kicked the OOB he had a teammate only 20 Metres up the line with no one 10-15 Metres near him . Yes he was on his opposite , but isn't it fair to assume AFL footballers have the ability to kick upon their opposite . It wasn't a hard ask from a professional athelete , nor IMO was the one he kicked to the opposition at CHF which he missed by about Metres .

So Deledio not putting his head over the ball at the final center bounce v the Suns wasnt a mistake.

WTF does that have to do with Reece Conca coming of age , or the comparison between the two players kicking ability .
Point is you love to bag so many yet when an experienced player stuffs up big time he gets a pass. And you did mention Deledio in the same situation.

Your constant bagging of certain players is getting santaesque

Point is you love to bag so many yet when an experienced player stuffs up big time he gets a pass. And you did mention Deledio in the same situation.

Your constant bagging of certain players is getting santaesque
I have never made comment on Conca in a similar situation to the one you are alluding to involving Deledio , never .
I have also never made comment on the instance involving Deledio , so how do you figure that I have given it as pass ?
Yes I make negative comments about players , it's called free speech .

Cotchin did the exact same thing the week before, but with a much easier kick. Conca was running at more than 90 degrees from the trajectory of his kick and had very little time to dispose of the ball after gathering.

Not sure with so many flawless players why we aren't on top of the ladder ?

1) not every player is a Chris Judd. Most teams are made up with a mix of good players and the odd one or two great ones. expecting our players to be flawless just because they are drafted top 10 is expecting too much.

2) You don't have Conca in your first 22, which is cool. Who do you have doing his role though? We are not exactly oozing with midfield depth, which is why White, Jackson, Webberley, and so on have gotten games this year.

3) Would you delist him?

if conca dosent show any special signs that usually come with a top 10 draft pick then he will become a depth player and once again our recruiters got it wrong

happy to be proven otherwise but like i said at last years draft we should have gone Atley or Caddy we do better with late draft picks than we do with early ones it infuriates me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1) not every player is a Chris Judd. Most teams are made up with a mix of good players and the odd one or two great ones. expecting our players to be flawless just because they are drafted top 10 is expecting too much.

2) You don't have Conca in your first 22, which is cool. Who do you have doing his role though? We are not exactly oozing with midfield depth, which is why White, Jackson, Webberley, and so on have gotten games this year.

3) Would you delist Trade him?
for another top ten draft pick this year i would other than that no.. he will just be a expensive depth player or on a positive note a good sub who can Run!

for another top ten draft pick this year i would other than that no.. he will just be a expensive depth player or on a positive note a good sub who can Run!

Firstly only gun players get traded for this kind of currency now, the era of us giving up pick 4 for Kane Johnson is over.

Secondly, what do you consider depth? He will be a tier below Deledio, Cotchin, and Martin, which will still see him a firm member of our starting 22 in years to come IMO

3) Would you delist him?
1) correct I agree
2) IMO our best 22 currently would look something like this .
Morris Rance Dea
Houli Grimes Batchellor
Grigg Cotchin Newman
Martin Griffith Edwards
King Reiwoldt Vickery

Maric Tuck Lids

Foley , Jackson , Nahas , Ellis
I appreciate some may say Conca provides more offensively than Dea , however IMO , the role Dea is playing is purely defensive and in that role I think he would be better .

3) No .

1) correct I agree
2) IMO our best 22 currently would look something like this .
Morris Rance Dea
Houli Grimes Batchellor
Grigg Cotchin Newman
Martin Griffith Edwards
King Reiwoldt Vickery

Maric Tuck Lids

Foley , Jackson , Nahas , Ellis
I appreciate some may say Conca provides more offensively than Dea , however IMO , the role Dea is playing is purely defensive and in that role I think he would be better .

3) No .

One I'd argue on your 22 (outside positioning debates and the like) is Jackson. Guy is undisciplined, has way too many brain fades, and has a gift for doing the wrong thing at the wrong time. At least Conca is learning from his mistakes - Jackson has if anything gotten worse in recent years.

Morris Rance Dea
Houli Grimes Batchellor
Grigg Cotchin Newman
Martin Griffith Edwards
King Reiwoldt Vickery

Maric Tuck Lids

Foley , Conca , Nahas , Ellis

That post explained your postion better than everything previously combined - thanks.

My opinion would be that the adjustment I made makes a better team - so just in the best 22.

if conca dosent show any special signs that usually come with a top 10 draft pick then he will become a depth player and once again our recruiters got it wrong

happy to be proven otherwise but like i said at last years draft we should have gone Atley or Caddy we do better with late draft picks than we do with early ones it infuriates me

What special thing/s do you want to see from him?

bush-huh.jpg

His one touch pick ups at pace is a fairly special thing.
Not good enough, he needs to be able to fend off 4 players, then bang through goals from 65m out post high on his opposite foot. Its that sort of stuff that most fans need to see to think that a top pick is worth the pick.

Not good enough, he needs to be able to fend off 4 players, then bang through goals from 65m out post high on his opposite foot. Its that sort of stuff that most fans need to see to think that a top pick is worth the pick.
The early signs for Conca r very good imo hes tough and does hav good skills these types usually improve greatly when they build a bigger body and tank ,Helbig similar.

Biggest knock on him at this stage is his tank but so what hes only a 2nd year player.

The early signs for Conca r very good imo hes tough and does hav good skills these types usually improve greatly when they build a bigger body and tank ,Helbig similar.

Biggest knock on him at this stage is his tank but so what hes only a 2nd year player.
I think that is what we're starting to see, hence creating this thread. Conca is now 18 months into his career and has the benefit of having built a bigger tank and adding some strength/muscle. Will only get better from here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Conca Coming Of Age

Remove this Banner Ad

Back