List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair to Buss they have other options. Buku Khamis has been getting games in front of Buss.
I always thought it would be hard for Buss to get a game. Bulldogs have too many talls and may also have to eventually convert somebody from a kpf to a kpd.
I didnt actually expect Buss to get a game tbh, hes clearly 5th in line for now at the dogs

JFC I honestly thought you were a bot who just “liked” every single post in these here parts.
Players who should be gone at the end of the year imo at least, just the OOC players at least.
- Gaff: Thank you for your services to the club you legend but the game has gone past you as you don't have the pace needed for the fast contested ball movement style the club needs.
- H.Edwards: Depth for the team however he lacks pace and would have to go especially of Buss comes.
  • Trew: One of those players who's good at WAFL but not quiet good enough at AFL level. Lacks versatility as well. However, would be a great keep for the Beagles even if delisted.
  • J.Baker: WAFL standard player. Will need to show something more being in a somewhat more competitive Beagles team otherwise he's gone.
- L.Edwards: Just too slow at AFL level in terms of acceleration and decision making. With his lack of acceleration, it makes it harder to make composed decisions and would get killed on the spread against faster wingers.
- Rotham: On thin ice for me. I think he's best suited playing on mid sized opponents.

My thoughts on players if they should stay or leave.

With Barrass and Yeo, we do not want to do a Norf and get rid of experienced but still good performing players otherwise the club will lose significant leadership. Now past use by date experienced players like Gaff and Sheed we can afford to get rid of (thank you for your services though) since they add nothing on field to the club.

TB: Do not want to go unless we get overs. Only way he goes is if he really wants to go AND a contending team who believes he's the missing piece of their puzzle is willing to pay overs for him that we get a great draft hand which is very needed to get new young players with a higher ceiling in a rebuild otherwise if no good deals come up then we hold him to his contract.
You also got to consider his missus and kids who need a strong family support if he moves interstate that won't be a luxury over there unlike in Perth where his kids have a stronger family support. For me he's a much needed player for the club as he's an A grader with experience who can thrive if the team can get Busslinger.

Yeo: Do not want to go. He seems to have gotten his body right and if he doesn't get injured then he does deserve a new contract which is pretty modest, much less than what some other teams are offering. Also in the same boat as Barrass as having strong family support in Perth. Imo he would be worth much more than any draft pick we get since he can help support coach and mentor Harley, Ginbey, Hewitt and any future midfield draftee we draft.

Busslinger: Yes for me. Would be a perfect third tall defender playing alongside Gov and Barrass. As WCE_Phil said, he would need to gain more muscle and core strength to play on gorilla forwards which could be done with how much better the S&C team is now and seeing the results of Ginbey. Reads the play well and is a great kick down back which is what the club needs to help it's ball movement from the backline. Hopefully our second rounder gets it done otherwise potential PSD (hope Norf don't take him) or trade B.Williams and a third rounder ideally for me especially if Lobb leaves may get it done but expect a second rounder and Big Bailey to get it done. Now if he doesn't play his value surely has to come down to the point our second rounder is enough.

English: Do not want. Despite being a FA he would cost too much in terms of cap space which needs to be reserved for star players like Reid, Yeo and co. An upgrade on Big Bailey imo but not what the club needs. The club needs a good tap ruck to help our midfielders get first use which is crucial for our new contested ball gameplan and English is NOT a good tap ruck.

Baker: Yes for me. Would be a great pickup to help guide the younger players and is a solid player. He's no star but his experience will be crucial along with Yeo to help the younger players. He's pretty quick as well and is experienced so he can be a part of the team's fast contested ball gameplan. If we use our second rounder on Buss then we would have to trade a player for him. I think Petch and Big Bailey (if Buss's value goes down more due to not playing) may get the job done and they send us back their third rounder.

Warner: Do not want. As much of a superstar he is, he would cost way too much in terms of draft currency which the club really needs for it's rebuild. I have a feeling this maybe Tim Kelly 2.0 again should we do it but this time we WILL actually miss out on a gun in the draft since the club is bottoming out at this stage unlike with Kelly when the club was still contending. I would personally keep our 2024 and 2025 first rounders thanks. Only way we get him is via FA and that's still a long way away.

My potential trades.

Busslinger for WCE 2R.
Baker + 2R for Petch and B.Williams and F3 (wishful thinking though) OR Baker + F3 for Petch +3R

- If Flynn goes well and Barnett successfully develops plus Livingstone gets better. I think we can afford to let Bailey go as the team has enough key forwards and even Jamo can play in the ruck too.

I didnt actually expect Buss to get a game tbh, hes clearly 5th in line for now at the dogs
I thought once the Bullies drafted Jordan Croft as a father and son that Buss was going to virtually have no chance.
I don't know how Croft will get a game unless they make him into a backman or move Naughton back into a defender.
Good news for us is Buss should be gettable.

One of Metro's best on the day, Harry Oliver showed both his attacking and defensive potential here. He spent a decent amount of the game matched up on the red hot Leo Lombard and kept him relatively quiet while picking his moments to run off and create with linking run and penetrating disposal.

Was mentioned on our board, Bulldogs dropped Garcia and he was one of their better players against us last week.
He’s not even in the emergencies, I suspect he’s being punished he was more than serviceable against Lions and others should have made way first.

The fact hough has somehow regressed according to this makes the whole thing questionable

So much of what Hough does well isn't trackable in stats - with the ball in hand he's doing less technically but become a much better player overall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought once the Bullies drafted Jordan Croft as a father and son that Buss was going to virtually have no chance.
I don't know how Croft will get a game unless they make him into a backman or move Naughton back into a defender.
Good news for us is Buss should be gettable.
Watching midweek tackle, and they just mentioned that Croft is out after suffering concussion in the VFL last weekend, and then the panel mentioned there may be multiple concussion issues at play, with some conjecture at how many concussions he suffered in under age footy.

If TB wants out we should make it happen. We hold all the cards.

Can’t see Pies happening, don’t have the draft capital and Eagles want to come forward in draft years, not backwards.

Dogs pick they get for Bailey Smith + Buss for TB seems fair to me.

Need Sheldrick, he should see the writing on the wall with where he is on the depth chart and is afl ready imo. Perfect link man for us.

Baker and Perryman would be ideal.

This will cause melts and hits a huge need for us. Miss on them I’d even give Jason Johannisen a year with triggers for a 2nd if he isn’t offered one at the Dogs. Need run and carry off that hbf asap.

How does that explain Rory Lobb still getting picked?
Lobb remains contracted to the Dogs until the end of the 2026 season.
Lobb is a forward and Buss isn't. only getting a game while Naughton is injured.
Croft apparantly injured so he has less competition at the moment.
I suspect the Bullies would like him to play better and get a pick for him as he has two years left on his contract.

Something wasn't right with Barrass in last week's game (I know he wasn't alone).
It was noticeable that he was just hack kicking it out of the backline every opportunity he got, generally straight to a Kangaroos player, especially early in the game when it was on the line.
He only had 2 marks for the game and went at 44% disposal efficiency.

Something wasn't right with Barrass in last week's game (I know he wasn't alone).
It was noticeable that he was just hack kicking it out of the backline every opportunity he got, generally straight to a Kangaroos player, especially early in the game when it was on the line.
He only had 2 marks for the game and went at 44% disposal efficiency.

Hmmm…was he looking east?

This will cause melts and hits a huge need for us. Miss on them I’d even give Jason Johannisen a year with triggers for a 2nd if he isn’t offered one at the Dogs. Need run and carry off that hbf asap.
Dont want JJ from the dogs, we cant just top up with 26+ year old guys taking spots off the kids.
Gaff isnt best 22 anyway, and Hewett takes Sheeds spot next year. None of the others are super urgent to replace, it can happen as the kids are ready over the next 2-3 years.
Put Hunt at HB before chasing JJ imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back