List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
This talk about chasing the Warner Brothers is too soon. It will cost at least a pick 2 or 3 and maybe more

I would personally wait another 2 years before we start picking off players, preferably those that are FA and when we have the cap space to blow away matching it.
I agree that waiting for Warner to get to FA is ideal, the issue being if he wants to come home at the end of next year then that opportunity will be gone as the noisy neighbours will take him in one way or another. I’m still confident that Warner doesn’t move this year and is more likely than unlikely to next year. If he does stay with Sydney, it will surely be on a two year deal taking him through to FA which I would not be unhappy with as we could offer a contract they couldn’t possibly match and he won’t get the the Purples in the meantime.

If available next year, I’m happy offering our 1R pick and a big contract. Warner will be 24 and a proven commodity, I think this outweighs 2025 pick 3-5 on a draftee who is very unlikely to be as good as Warner and who will take years of development. Warner would be a great addition for our age profile, provided we can draft, develop or trade a KPD, a HBF and a winger/outside mid this year or next so we have a team that can be competitive across the ground. I see some nice trades that would allow us to do that. I think our forward line is set for years and years.

What to do with Waterman’s contract? I’m very happy to see if he can maintain his form this year and next before jumping in. If he does, we’ll get band 1 FA compo next year which will likely be a top 5 pick, or we can match and pay market rates which is fair to Jake.

Alternatively his form drops off next year and we justifiably offer a contract to at reflects his output. Absolutely nothing to lose by waiting until the end of next year IMO.

If Warner who is OOC at the end of next season says he wants to come home. You 100% have a crack and if he picks the Eagles as his destination you get the trade done. The acceleration a player does of the quality to a rebuild is next level and also helps keep Reid around. The unknown of what pick 3 turns out to be doesn’t. Could be a Dow/Philips ect
That's the attitude that led to the tim kelly disaster. Supporters like you just need to be ignored.

Zane trew isn't up to afl. He has had plenty of years to force his way into the side and he hasn't. The best he can offer is being the worst player in the starting team.
There was a heavy amount of sarcasm in that comment, perhaps too subtle. The chance of Trew getting another contract is 0.1% and that’s being generous.

Sicily is only 189cm.

I reckon most of these draftee heights might've been taken end of last year. For instance Smillie I'm certain was 194cm late last year and this is still his listed height - I reckon he might be 197+ come draft combine. Tyler Welsh is still listed as 191cm and I'm certain that will change.

Travaglia doesn't turn 18 until the 26th of October. Him growing to 190+ seems like a relatively safe bet IMO.
Wouldn’t be surprised if Welsh has stopped growing. Didn’t look particularly tall in the two games I watched of SA.

If Warner who is OOC at the end of next season says he wants to come home. You 100% have a crack and if he picks the Eagles as his destination you get the trade done. The acceleration a player does of the quality to a rebuild is next level and also helps keep Reid around. The unknown of what pick 3 turns out to be doesn’t. Could be a Dow/Philips ect

1718410015272.png

This talk about chasing the Warner Brothers is too soon. It will cost at least a pick 2 or 3 and maybe more

I would personally wait another 2 years before we start picking off players, preferably those that are FA and when we have the cap space to blow away matching it.
Warner is a new draftee for all intensive purposes.

Why draft an unproven draft pick at pick 1 then a proven elite young draftee in warner

Warner is a new draftee for all intensive purposes.

Why draft an unproven draft pick at pick 1 then a proven elite young draftee in warner
If all Warner costs you is pick 1, you do the trade.

But my guess is the Swans will still ask for more than just pick 1.

If you get to the point where the player asks to be traded, and nominates a preferred club, that club has usually made a commitment to get the deal done.

On a slightly related note, Warner junior is currently doing a fair impersonation of his brother, ripping Footscray up.

If the Eagles want to bring in any or all of Baker, Busslinger, Garcia and Sheldrick, some tough decisions will need to be made on cuts or some trades generated. There's some obvious cuts but after that, it starts to get a little tricky, potentially cutting guys like Witherden (having a decent season), HEdwards (KPD back-up), Rotham etc.
I hear you mate but I'd cut others first.

Out
Gaff
Sheed (pay-out - trade token pick)
L.Edwards
Z.Trew
J.Rotham
J.Baker
T.Cole (Trade)
JJ (last cut depending on FA/RFA/Draft pick ups)

If all Warner costs you is pick 1, you do the trade.

But my guess is the Swans will still ask for more than just pick 1.

If you get to the point where the player asks to be traded, and nominates a preferred club, that club has usually made a commitment to get the deal done.

On a slightly related note, Warner junior is currently doing a fair impersonation of his brother, ripping Footscray up.
Apparently, there's a 3rd brother coming through who is considered the best of the lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's what the academies are for. Bringing new immigrants in to the game.
Really sad to hear about his estrangement from his 2 brothers. What a stroke of luck that Sydney rescued him from the orphanage in the nick of time.

Our forward line will work just fine with Allen waterman and the back up ruck .

Waterman in his running/roaming forward role .

Allen CHF which suits him as a lead up marking type forward .

Jack Williams is the one we need coming out of the square. The kid who is still 20 has a massive frame and when he fills out at his 198cms he will be that Quinton lynch / tom Hawkins power forward size .

He is already really good at using his body to out manoeuvre his opponents taking some strong pack marks with strength alone .

He has also shown he uses his body better than bailey in the ruck around the ground on the big boys in witts , gawn and O'Brien

Everything you just said depends on Allen fitness and ability to run

I want him to come back through the WAFL and show he can actually run and chase and
has his old agility first.

Otherwise he will end up being a liability, and effect Watermans game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back