List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
‘Accelerating the rebuild’ concerns me a little as that seems short term focused/not building something sustainable. It sounds like what St Kilda have done a few times, trade in lots of B graders and miss the cream. I can’t think of many times it’s really worked. Use your early picks on gun mids, stay the course and build around that.

Having said that, still not convinced on anyone for our first pick. Jagga/Smillie off the radar as Vic Metro I reckon, Draper underwhelming, Finnger unsighted. Everyone is saying get Lalor/Travaglia if we trade back but we need them to still be around, the way Travaglia is tracking he’ll go before that and a few clubs are into Lalor early from reading other boards.

Baker I get. Bolton, not so much. Bolton would certainly be one of the better players on our list but the cost would be Tim Kelly trade territory. It's not worth it IMO. I'd rather spend that capital going after Chad Warner.

If we chased Bolton it would indicate Warner is no chance.

You wouldnt handicap a play for Warner by blowing draft capital on Bolton.

I would say that Bolton fits a need more than Warner in that we have multiple big inside mids in Reid, Ginbey, Hewett, Culley, Hall and potentially Chesser.

We lack balanced outside goal scoring mids / half forwards.

‘Accelerating the rebuild’ concerns me a little as that seems short term focused/not building something sustainable. It sounds like what St Kilda have done a few times, trade in lots of B graders and miss the cream. I can’t think of many times it’s really worked. Use your early picks on gun mids, stay the course and build around that.
I think if we are chasing guys like Buss, and Steely Green as has been mentioned here in the last couple of days we should be fine, theyre both young and we probably get them for unders

I would say that Bolton fits a need more than Warner in that we have multiple big inside mids in Reid, Ginbey, Hewett, Culley, Hall and potentially Chesser.

Without checking the stats, I'd say that Warner is almost exactly what you've described. A balanced goal scoring mid.

I really hope we dont even consider going for a guy like Bolton, but I do admit that adding a guy like him would be huge for our forward line.
If we could somehow get a couple more outside leaning mids/HBFs, Hewett/Long back next year, and stop playing Sheed/Gaff, there is a solid lineup there to win more than a few games next year if we stay healthy

Its not really the long term approach, but it would be aggressive

Having said that, still not convinced on anyone for our first pick. Jagga/Smillie off the radar as Vic Metro I reckon, Draper underwhelming, Finnger unsighted. Everyone is saying get Lalor/Travaglia if we trade back but we need them to still be around, the way Travaglia is tracking he’ll go before that and a few clubs are into Lalor early from reading other boards.

Concerned about this as well, especially if were chasing Baker. Would have to execute an 'aggressive' plan perfectly to win a flag in 3-5 years.

Why would we even want him? What does he offer that our young blokes don't have?

Next year we'll have some more recruits. He can stay in QLD... unless he wants to come and play WAFL.
Not going to do through the whole Dev thing again unless he requests a trade ect but depth and leadership is the simple answer.

Look at our team this week. Struggle to name who is our 2nd best mid is. It would be him this week.

In Culley, Trew, Gaff and Sheed you gave examples of four players who are not in today's team. Who today's team would he replace and do a better job?
He did mention depth. Apart from arguably Sheed, I think Robertson offers more to the team/squad 2025 and beyond than the other 3 mentioned.

If Dev was on our list he would be playing today and would have played against North. He is arguably more AFL-ready than the likes of Culley and Trew and would probably come into the side ahead of the likes of Gaff and Sheed. As much as we need to improve our best 23, we also need to improve our depth and Robertson would certainly do that. We got Brockman for effectively pick 38 so if we could get Robertson for an F3 or less (hopefully less) we might look at that. Alternatively, we can pick him up for free at the end of 2025.
It will be like a 4th round pick swap or something. It will be minimal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without checking the stats, I'd say that Warner is almost exactly what you've described. A balanced goal scoring mid.
Warner is a mid that can play forward. Bolton is a forward that can play mid. Long term, Long and Brockman already fill our small forward needs. Bolton is better than both but I would be happy if we built our stocks there through the draft. Our midfield brigade is far from complete, even with Hewett returning. I think that will be our focus this draft. If Warner is no chance, I'd rather just take our hand to the draft than try for Bolton.

No issue with us meeting with the likes of Bolton and Baker to at least gauge if there’s any interest from either to come to the club

Do the due diligence then develop the plans necessary to best use the finite draft capital we have keeping in mind that as it stands we seem unlikely to add draft picks via trade

Not convinced either would be the best use of the draft capital we have given what would be fair value for them but as I said happy that we’re exploring the possibility

Can't speak for the others but Travaglia took out Bendigo's B&F last year as an underager and has been earmarked as an exceptional player since mid last year, not of course to Harley levels, but certainly comparable to a number of players from picks 6-20.

Also, good news, I got to have a fairly sizeable chat to Tobie after the game today at Dandenong.
He's getting a tour of the West Coast facilities next week and said he'd love to be selected by West Coast and play with Harley next year.
Based on this, youd think we looking at getting another top 10 pick via splitting 2 or bringing forward F1

S
Warner is a mid that can play forward. Bolton is a forward that can play mid. Long term, Long and Brockman already fill our small forward needs. Bolton is better than both but I would be happy if we built our stocks there through the draft. Our midfield brigade is far from complete, even with Hewett returning. I think that will be our focus this draft. If Warner is no chance, I'd rather just take our hand to the draft than try for Bolton.
Let's say WC finished with #3. If and I stress If that became picks 7 and 14, would you trade 7 to Richmond for Bolton knowing 14 would get you something worthwhile also.

And before you say Richmond wouldn't accept #7 for Bolton, I've seen plenty of clubs do this exact thing and been accepted. (By accepted I mean paying what most people say are unders)

S

Let's say WC finished with #3. If and I stress If that became picks 7 and 14, would you trade 7 to Richmond for Bolton knowing 14 would get you something worthwhile also.

And before you say Richmond wouldn't accept #7 for Bolton, I've seen plenty of clubs do this exact thing and been accepted. (By accepted I mean paying what most people say are unders)
Besides Bolton being under contract for another four years, pick 7 should still get us a decent mid that will grow with Reid, Ginbey and Hewett. The only reason we would consider bringing in anyone aged 25 or over is if they fill a hole until the 19-21 year olds can fill it. The hole Bolton fills is already filled.

No issue with us meeting with the likes of Bolton and Baker to at least gauge if there’s any interest from either to come to the club

Do the due diligence then develop the plans necessary to best use the finite draft capital we have keeping in mind that as it stands we seem unlikely to add draft picks via trade

Not convinced either would be the best use of the draft capital we have given what would be fair value for them but as I said happy that we’re exploring the possibility

No harm in talking.

Minimum we put pressure on the purples to pay more $$ and more at the trade table.

If we can land one without compromising the rebuild all good.

Besides Bolton being under contract for another four years, pick 7 should still get us a decent mid that will grow with Reid, Ginbey and Hewett. The only reason we would consider bringing in anyone aged 25 or over is if they fill a hole until the 19-21 year olds can fill it. The hole Bolton fills is already filled.
Understand your argument but think ur underestimating Bolton. On song he's exactly the silky dynamic player WC are crying out for. And let's be honest his best is likely to be way better than what Long or Brockman provide (and I'm a fan of Long) as I'm guessing they're the players destined to "fill the holes" you refer to

Understand your argument but think ur underestimating Bolton. On song he's exactly the silky dynamic player WC are crying out for. And let's be honest his best is likely to be way better than what Long or Brockman provide (and I'm a fan of Long) as I'm guessing they're the players destined to "fill the holes" you refer to
Bolton is certainly an upgrade on many of our players but our biggest needs heading into this draft are mids and KPD's. Bolton is neither. He's the kind of player Freo would look at with the state of their list and draft hand. We're not at that stage. Ryan, Brockman and Hewett will fill that role nicely for the next few years.

The issue I have with Bolton, Baker etc is that yes, short term they will make us better than most 18yos but when we’re legitimately a flag chance again they are going to be 30+. That’s not how I’d hope we spend draft capital. Use FA and our sizeable cap space to get the 26yo+ and use the draft capital at the draft or on young players.

The issue I have with Bolton, Baker etc is that yes, short term they will make us better than most 18yos but when we’re legitimately a flag chance again they are going to be 30+. That’s not how I’d hope we spend draft capital. Use FA and our sizeable cap space to get the 26yo+ and use the draft capital at the draft or on young players.
For me I'm happy for one of them to provide the experience. Just taking 18yo resigns us to 3 more years on the bottom. We need 22-26yo players.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back