List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:

Travaglia, Hotton and Jack Whitlock weren’t even in the academy squad 2 months ago, now all three are being discussed in the 8-15 range which would be the very definition of a bolter.
Can't speak for the others but Travaglia took out Bendigo's B&F last year as an underager and has been earmarked as an exceptional player since mid last year, not of course to Harley levels, but certainly comparable to a number of players from picks 6-20.

Also, good news, I got to have a fairly sizeable chat to Tobie after the game today at Dandenong.
He's getting a tour of the West Coast facilities next week and said he'd love to be selected by West Coast and play with Harley next year.

Last edited:
I’m comfortable with it, if he didn’t play again this year he’d still be top 5. I’d hope that most posters go off more than opinions on BF, hopefully FOS is in the VicC team at Claremont next weekend so people can have a first hand look. No issues with contrary views whatsoever, debate should be encouraged.
I don’t have time to watch junior footy on top of everything else. I absolutely am basing all my opinions on what is on BF.

Now I’m off to the politics board to form some other opinions.

Will be an Eagle in 2025 imo.
Why would we even want him? What does he offer that our young blokes don't have?

Next year we'll have some more recruits. He can stay in QLD... unless he wants to come and play WAFL.

Sure, it's very light on. But expecting a bunch of kids to dominate the WAFL and get 35 disposals a game in order to get a call up is ridiculous.
Generally if you get a player getting bulk possessions in the wafl they are deemed to old,too slow or too something or other for the afl anyway

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 2027288
The article doesn’t go on to say much else but glad we’re on the front foot with JWill. Hugely improved.
How long does Darling have left on his current contract? With this guy coming through plus Allen, Waterman, Maric, plus they seem to want to give BW a chance to prove his worth in the forward line i think it is probably time to farewell Darling and free up a spot for a younger player.

How long does Darling have left on his current contract? With this guy coming through plus Allen, Waterman, Maric, plus they seem to want to give BW a chance to prove his worth in the forward line i think it is probably time to farewell Darling and free up a spot for a younger player.
Next year is his last.
Id imagine(and hope) that Darling gets phased out next year, maybe plays only half the season splitting with whichever young player the MC feel like. I dont think he gets dropped this year unless he is clearly playing badly.

With Allen back alongside Waterman, Darling might get some mismatches now

I’m comfortable with it, if he didn’t play again this year he’d still be top 5. I’d hope that most posters go off more than opinions on BF, hopefully FOS is in the VicC team at Claremont next weekend so people can have a first hand look. No issues with contrary views whatsoever, debate should be encouraged.
If he didn't play again and slid down the draft, it would be hard not to take him. He was firm fav for pick one until this season's injuries.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Next year is his last.
Id imagine(and hope) that Darling gets phased out next year, maybe plays only half the season splitting with whichever young player the MC feel like. I dont think he gets dropped this year unless he is clearly playing badly.

With Allen back alongside Waterman, Darling might get some mismatches now
Haven't seen any key forward on our list, either at AFL or WAFL level, apply the pressure and do the 1% sacrificial stuff darling has done. Be carefully what you wish for. Forward half pressure and turnovers critical to not having the ball rebound quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would we even want him? What does he offer that our young blokes don't have?

Next year we'll have some more recruits. He can stay in QLD... unless he wants to come and play WAFL.
If Dev was on our list he would be playing today and would have played against North. He is arguably more AFL-ready than the likes of Culley and Trew and would probably come into the side ahead of the likes of Gaff and Sheed. As much as we need to improve our best 23, we also need to improve our depth and Robertson would certainly do that. We got Brockman for effectively pick 38 so if we could get Robertson for an F3 or less (hopefully less) we might look at that. Alternatively, we can pick him up for free at the end of 2025.

That isnt very aggressive with the list rebuild is it?

That is an equalisation issue.
I think what he means by aggressive with list build is we will be trading in players to accelerate it. Its why it wouldnt surprise me if come 2024 off season we have Baker, Busslinger and Cummings in a Eagles jumper for example

Haven't seen any key forward on our list, either at AFL or WAFL level, apply the pressure and do the 1% sacrificial stuff darling has done. Be carefully what you wish for. Forward half pressure and turnovers critical to not having the ball rebound quickly.

It could be argued that going forward with a fit Allen Darling is now creating an issue with playing an additional tall being 2nd ruck.

None of Allen, Waterman nor Darling are 2nd rucks. So we need to play Bailey or Jack Williams. Which in turn makes us taller and reduces running power and pressure.

When Darling retires we will play Allen, Waterman and either Archer Reid or Jack Williams as a 2nd ruck. Then we can pick and play another mid or utility say a Baker, or Hall or Hewett.

Much better balance. More leg speed. More defensive pressure.

If Dev was on our list he would be playing today and would have played against North. He is arguably more AFL-ready than the likes of Culley and Trew and would probably come into the side ahead of the likes of Gaff and Sheed. As much as we need to improve our best 23, we also need to improve our depth and Robertson would certainly do that. We got Brockman for effectively pick 38 so if we could get Robertson for an F3 or less (hopefully less) we might look at that. Alternatively, we can pick him up for free at the end of 2025.
In Culley, Trew, Gaff and Sheed you gave examples of four players who are not in today's team. Who today's team would he replace and do a better job?

I think what he means by aggressive with list build is we will be trading in players to accelerate it. Its why it wouldnt surprise me if come 2024 off season we have Baker, Busslinger and Cummings in a Eagles jumper for example

Trading in with what?

Maybe future picks that must be traded like the ones North got?

Which in effect is compensation for our 2nd round picks being diluted from 19 and 20 to the 30's because the AFL system is propping up clubs playing finals.

Its a pretty easy sell as an argument. We are crap, one of the worse lists over the past 3 - 4 years in a row. Just as bad as North. But get nothing whereas other teams playing finals and sitting on top of the ladder are getting concessions. Please explain that to us AFL House.

SA teams now get an extra home game for three years.

In Culley, Trew, Gaff and Sheed you gave examples of four players who are not in today's team. Who today's team would he replace and do a better job?
That's a fair point. I think Chesser probably goes back to the wing, which pushes Jones out. More likely that Jones winds up as sub and Hutchinson goes out (though I would rather Hutchinson gets another crack in this scenario).

I’d be happy with a swap of round 5 picks, for Dev to go to a good home.

Hopefully he goes to you guys and has a career similar to Ben Keays at Adelaide.

Just read that both Baker and Bolton met with the Eagles.

Surely we couldnt be chasing both?

That would cost two first rounders this years and next.

The melts on here would be........

Christmas Horror GIF by absurdnoise

Guy Become GIF

Trading in with what?

Maybe future picks that must be traded like the ones North got?

Which in effect is compensation for our 2nd round picks being diluted from 19 and 20 to the 30's because the AFL system is propping up clubs playing finals.

Its a pretty easy sell as an argument. We are crap, one of the worse lists over the past 3 - 4 years in a row. Just as bad as North. But get nothing whereas other teams playing finals and sitting on top of the ladder are getting concessions. Please explain that to us AFL House.

SA teams now get an extra home game for three years.
I think we split our pick this year im afraid. I wouldnt do it but I think the Gold Coast pick swap is going to happen

Just read that both Baker and Bolton met with the Eagles.

Surely we couldnt be chasing both?

That would cost two first rounders this years and next.

The melts on here would be........

Christmas Horror GIF by absurdnoise

Guy Become GIF
Baker I get. Bolton, not so much. Bolton would certainly be one of the better players on our list but the cost would be Tim Kelly trade territory. It's not worth it IMO. I'd rather spend that capital going after Chad Warner.

I agree, thats why I have no issues with Darling staying in the side, but he doesnt have to be replaced by another tall player.
If we got a small crumbing forward to come in and replace Darling the idea would be they can also bring pressure and tackle.
If Darling is still playing good footy though no reason to drop him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back