List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 36 27.9%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 17 13.2%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 39 30.2%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Rubbish.

Chad Warner did **** all in his first 2 seasons.

2020 First yr played 2 games
2021 second yr payed 13 see attached. The same stats as Ginbey at the same stage.
2022 third yr played 24 and started to show what he had.

Wasn't until his fourth year, last yr and this yr he has lit it up.

The Reid's and daicos of the world are unicorns.

The rest take time.

Next year when Reid, Kelly, ginbey and Hewitt are in the midfield together you'll eat your words.

View attachment 2030047

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Excellent post

We don't what will happen with Hewitt. Sesamoiditis is incurable and chronic. He will be living with it for the rest of his career. It is not a hamstring strain that heals itself in 4 weeks. You are wayyyyy jumping the gun assuming he is going to come back and become the player he looked like he would become.

What "stats" are you talking about that were the same with Warner? Disposals? What does that prove? Tom Swift was getting more kicks per game at the end of his second year than Warner. Does that mean Swift is a better player than Warner? Warner has the two most important attributes for a midfielder in the modern game - pace and elite disposal. And he has no glaring weaknesses. Neither Ginbey nor Chesser have pace nor elite disposal. And both have glaring weaknesses. Ginbey's disposal is poor and he verging on being slow. Chesser is very, very weak in the air and at the contest in general. He is always looking for a cheap handball.

If the draft that Chesser and Ginbey taken in were held again they would be taken at a significantly lower number than where we took them. If they were at another club and looking to come back to WA you would be saying "offer them a late second rounder for them".
Reminds me of the old ‘joke’ where the drill sergeant tears strips of an out of step recruit, to which the recruit replied ‘I’m not out of step , everyone else is’.

We don't what will happen with Hewitt. Sesamoiditis is incurable and chronic. He will be living with it for the rest of his career. It is not a hamstring strain that heals itself in 4 weeks. You are wayyyyy jumping the gun assuming he is going to come back and become the player he looked like he would become.
lol
If the draft that Chesser and Ginbey taken in were held again they would be taken at a significantly lower number than where we took them. If they were at another club and looking to come back to WA you would be saying "offer them a late second rounder for them".
Who is actually ahead of Ginbey from the 2022 draft?
Cadman
Ashcroft
Sheezel
Wardlaw
Weddle
Michalanney maybe? doesnt have the ceiling imo.
???
6 players, 4 of which were actually drafted ahead of Ginbey

Maybe Fletcher and Hollands are in the ball park, but 2 of them play outside roles in very strong teams, a significantly easier environment. Humphrey has the odd good game when Gold Coast get a good win, Mackenzie looks like a decent player as the 4th/5th mid, but none of them do the inside work Ginbey does

2021 draft? Yeah Chesser has slid a bit, but considering Chesser missed a lot of footy its not unreasonable. We got Hough who has gone way better than his draft position to make up for it

Eagles wouldn’t do it imo. Will be Smith pick and Buss.

Difference is he is contracted for 3 years. We hold all the cards.
I agree and we do. If the Smith pick is the Hawks pick 6 (which drifts to 8) and Buss for TB and our F2 I think we’d do it. If the Smith pick is Geelong pick 12 then it’s 12 and Buss at a minimum but I still don’t think that’s enough.

I just assume Hewett isn't going to be a star because of injury. Hopefully the club is also planning around that at draft time and isn't just hoping for the best.

He's a complete unknown.
Shuey was in his 3rd year before he got on the park in any meaningful way.

Hewett already has a dozen games under his belt and shown he has afl quality attributes .

We having nothing to lose by letting him get his foot right and build him up from scratch next pre season .

Eagles wouldn’t do it imo. Will be Smith pick and Buss.

Difference is he is contracted for 3 years. We hold all the cards.
Am I the only person who just wants to keep barrass .

He has plenty of good footy left in him and all we would have next season is McGovern then .........jamo and Hedwards

He has plenty of good footy left in him and all we would have next season is McGovern then .........jamo and Hedwards
We wont find anybody as elite as TB to replace him in the near future but if we could turn TB into Buss and Travaglia for example its worth exploring.
HEdwards is very servicable in the medium term, with Jamo as cover. Harry is better than many KPDs playing AFL every week tbh.

We still have Gov, plus adding Bazzo and Buss to our stocks means we can actually play 3 genuine talls without taking away too much from the rest of our defence like it does when we play TB, Gov and HEdwards right now.

Is TB going to be around for us to contend again? probably not. By the time our young mids are comfortable, Yeo, Gov, Darling and Cripps will be retiring, and TB will be in his 30s.

Would suck to see him go obviously, but in terms of maximising assets on the list, getting more picks/young talent, if someone comes hard and TB wants to go, its probably worth it imo

Barrass is one of my favourite eagles and I think he’s often underrated. Really don’t want to see him leave particularly since as you say our KPD depth would be tested if he did

However, being pragmatic we do need to somehow build our draft hand and Barrass is perhaps the only player that can command a genuinely high draft pick and might also be open to shifting

If he goes it’s only worthwhile if we can land either a top 10 pick or two picks in the teens. That may well be above what another club is prepared to pay but I’m more than happy he stays if that offer doesn’t come

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’re dreaming.

Why would he want to go to WB anyway? Perennial bridesmaid club.
According to one of our posters his preference is Collingwood. Whilst what drives TB probably isn’t as obvious as it is for most footballers, IF the media reports of him being open to a move are true I can see a situation where we pay his salary, the Dogs top him up 300k a year and we are well compensated. The Bont has 4-5 good years left to chase another flag, if I was the dogs I’d be going all in on a flag whilst he’s still around.

I do think they shot themselves in the foot with the ridiculous trade they did with GCS. Would have been far better off moving those picks into this year’s draft and getting a motza for them. I reckon any of Saints, Crows and maybe Hawks would have traded 10 for their F1.

Kind of reminds me of connor blakley pre draft . Good ball winners in close but thumps it long at every opportunity
HE is so much quicker than Blakley his first 5 metres is very explosive hard to catch
He can run all day and is good on the outside but excels on the inside
Like i said before he has totally changed his kicking action since the his hip operation, his kicking will
get better with time
Not sure if we pick him up, but believe he has more upside than most in this draft, if he get his kicking right will be a star

We need to generate extra first rounders, as good as Barrass in, he’s not going to be in the frame for us when we’re great again

Have to capitalise on his value if he’s willing to leave

If you can walk away from this draft with O’Sullivan or Jagga and then say Lalor with the Barrass pick, that means our midfield is essentially done and we can then focus on other areas.

According to one of our posters his preference is Collingwood. Whilst what drives TB probably isn’t as obvious as it is for most footballers, IF the media reports of him being open to a move are true I can see a situation where we pay his salary, the Dogs top him up 300k a year and we are well compensated. The Bont has 4-5 good years left to chase another flag, if I was the dogs I’d be going all in on a flag whilst he’s still around.

I do think they shot themselves in the foot with the ridiculous trade they did with GCS. Would have been far better off moving those picks into this year’s draft and getting a motza for them. I reckon any of Saints, Crows and maybe Hawks would have traded 10 for their F1.
I think they knew Bazlenka was more than likely going to leave, and Buss is a reasonable chance to leave to they wanted to at least have 1 elite young talent thats not a KPF.
Also they really didnt seem like they knew where they were at with their list

I think they knew Bazlenka was more than likely going to leave, and Buss is a reasonable chance to leave to they wanted to at least have 1 elite young talent thats not a KPF.
Also they really didnt seem like they knew where they were at with their list
If they’d traded 10 for Saints or Crows F1 they’d be looking at Jagga, Draper, Trainor or Lalor. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though.

Where do you think Sanders would sit among this years guys?
About the same range as that group of Jagga and Draper 4-6. Very different mid to either of them though so there would probably be a big variation between where different clubs ranked them. For example Draper has elite speed but does a lot of loopy handballs and can go missing whereas Sanders is slow but is always at the coalface and his hand balling decision and execution is very good. Still surprised Hawks picked Watson.

About the same range as that group of Jagga and Draper 4-6. Very different mid to either of them though so there would probably be a big variation between where different clubs ranked them. For example Draper has elite speed but does a lot of loopy handballs and can go missing whereas Sanders is slow but is always at the coalface and his hand balling decision and execution is very good. Still surprised Hawks picked Watson.
The decision's looking a lot better since Will Day came back, plus if he nailed most of his shots on goal, we'd be saying they easily made the right choice.

Where do you think Sanders would sit among this years guys?
Top 3.

I’d have Sanders and McKercher ahead of all this years mids, on performance to date.

Smillie and Jagga Smith (excluding Ashcroft and Lombard) are the only two (of the top) mids from this year to play full seasons to date.

The decision's looking a lot better since Will Day came back, plus if he nailed most of his shots on goal, we'd be saying they easily made the right choice.
Yep take that point but they also got Ginnivan and could have got Curtin if they were going to play him as a KPD long term. I wasn’t only talking about overlooking Sanders I think the next 5 (available) picks of Curtin, Caddy, O’Sullivan, Windsor and Sanders will all be better players than Watson and they certainly could have done with some KPPs.

Yep take that point but they also got Ginnivan and could have got Curtin if they were going to play him as a KPD long term. I wasn’t only talking about overlooking Sanders I think the next 5 (available) picks of Curtin, Caddy, O’Sullivan, Windsor and Sanders will all be better players than Watson and they certainly could have done with some KPPs.
Caddy/O'Sullivan/Curtin would've been ones I probably would've prioritised if I were the Hawks, especially considering Mitch Lewis is perma-injured but they just went and got Chol, who's doing well, and have Breust about to retire. Watson also rated the higher talent, I suppose, plus perhaps they still think DGB may come good.

Back