List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 48 28.4%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 21 12.4%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 42 24.9%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Low possession count but high impact, Bo Allen touched up our WAFL team today.

Could definitely do worse than him if we split.

Chuck him and Yeo down back as our HBFs with some CBAs.
People wonder why our players can't touch the ball yet we draft people who can't touch the ball.

Clay hall averaged more possesion in wafl league then him. In fact he averaged 20. Until I see Bo Allen reach those dizzy heights he is no better to be drafted higher then hall was.

Bo Allen is a jack of all trades master of none. In the same mold as Jasmine jones. Not to say he won't be better but there is risk.

I still have Bo Allen as number 1 WA draftee

Some really disappointing performances from Burgiel, Barnett, Rawlinson, Hall and Luke Edwards today.

Hall’s performances this year are worse than last year when he was at Peel. Obviously he had a better team around him last year but he plays on ball so he at least has the opportunity to get first hands on the ball.

I hope Pyke is having a close look at the development staff at the club, it seems like there’s not too many success stories of late.

Some really disappointing performances from Burgiel, Barnett, Rawlinson, Hall and Luke Edwards today.

Hall’s performances this year are worse than last year when he was at Peel. Obviously he had a better team around him last year but he plays on ball so he at least has the opportunity to get first hands on the ball.

I hope Pyke is having a close look at the development staff at the club, it seems like there’s not too many success stories of late.
Lets look at talent ID and recruiting as well.

If we were to finish last which is probably an even chance would we pick Josh Smilie or is he a Vic mummy's boy?
I think FOS is far more likely with his outside game and tank but we’d also be into Smillie. I’ve only heard Jagga and Hotton being mentioned as flight risks so far. Big difference between pick 2 and 3 this year IMO. First decent look at FOS this year at 8:30AM tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We used to be great at developing young talent and you can almost draw a direct parallel from when the WAFL Eagles started to when we became hopeless at it. I'm sure it's a coincidence though

At a minimum, the MC could actually reward performers in the 2s with senior selection. At the moment there's almost no point at all in even bothering to play well at the Beagles

Lets look at talent ID and recruiting as well.
Of all of them Rawlinson is the only one who didnt scream that he would make it as a jr. The rest were all decent-good picks where they were taken. Whats killed us is the 5 years before that who even if not AFL players- could at least be padding.

Barnett in particular is a slow burner, not strong enough but does everything else well.
Burgiel has a Petrucelle style of game. Limited touches but has those game breaking moments.

We have 8 players who are out of contract this year on our main list. Apart from Duggan if you wanted to delist seven it is possible except your next four picks will be somehere after 59 onwards and likely end up with four average players.

Not sure of the rules but we could move several players to the rookie list to open up spots.

And of course if you bring in unrestricted free agents you don't need a pick just a free spot
Replacing four not up to AFL standard/no longer AFL standard/never were and never will be AFL standard/below average players with four average players looks like a win from where I'm sitting. I'd take that swap in a heartbeat.

Barnett in particular is a slow burner, not strong enough but does everything else well.
We haven't had much evidence of that so far. I understand if he's losing the hit outs to stronger older WAFL players but he doesn't run them off their feet or hurt them the other way.

I am having a hard time picturing what type of AFL standard ruck he could develop into.

At a minimum, the MC could actually reward performers in the 2s with senior selection. At the moment there's almost no point at all in even bothering to play well at the Beagles

This.

Simmo has made statements like ‘Need to see a body of work.’

Doesn’t back up a selection table.

Now I know Beagles are travelling shizen but a glimmer of hope has to be provided if motivation needs to be maintained.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

We haven't had much evidence of that so far. I understand if he's losing the hit outs to stronger older WAFL players but he doesn't run them off their feet or hurt them the other way.

I am having a hard time picturing what type of AFL standard ruck he could develop into.
He needs to put on another 10kg first.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

He needs to put on another 10kg first.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't know if he has that competitive streak in him. He might be best suited to an English style role focusing more on running patterns and aerobic capacity, but not really sure that's the kind of ruck I'd want us to champion as our next lead.

Back