List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Think he is saying that TB wants to renegotiate - is underpaid currently and probably wants more security than the current 3 years. If Eagles don't or aren't keen to renegotiate than they are essentially saying they would rather the picks he will generate than keep him.
Is he underpaid currently? Who knows the figures?

I would assume he was happy with the original terms or he wouldn’t have signed the contract.

Sounds a little mercenary to me. Someone comes along with a bigger deal and he wants to change the terms.
And then says ‘you’re forcing me out’ if you don’t agree to renegotiate? Umm. Strange logic there.

If he decides to go the club should demand a very high price from the buyer.

I would be happy to offload Kelly if we could find a buyer to give us a pick around 20 for him. Some of his efforts this season have been putrid. And he is looking more and more checked out and disinterested over time. Get rid of him for something whilst we still can.
Give him to freo.

Why on earth did we give old mate four years... fourrrrr years. After giving yeo 3. The whole league must see us as suckers

Give him to freo.

Why on earth did we give old mate four years... fourrrrr years. After giving yeo 3. The whole league must see us as suckers
I agree. Was anybody else offering him something significantly better than 4 years that we were competing with? What leverage did he have in the negotiations in order to be able to extract an offer like that from us?

Don't post much (look at my ****en avatar for goodness sake), so please excuse any ignorance of prior discussion about this...

Tim English. There is talk on the various Fox shows about our interest in him.

Why would we be seeking a Tim English, potentially commanding > $800kp.a. when we are rebuilding? If a ruckman has an effect in terms of score involvement, it is found as the cream on the top of an established cake of midfielders who reliably win the ground ball and have defensive and forward structures that can capitalise on such midfield dominance.

Do we really want him at this stage of the rebuild given the expense?

Don't post much (look at my ****en avatar for goodness sake), so please excuse any ignorance of prior discussion about this...

Why would we be seeking a Tim English, potentially commanding > $800kp.a. when we are rebuilding? If a ruckman has an effect in terms of score involvement, it is found as the cream on the top of an established cake of midfielders who reliably win the ground ball and have defensive and forward structures that can capitalise on such midfield dominance.

Because he is a free agent and we can possibly get him for nothing, i.e. not give up any draft picks to get him.

The way I look at it we have to pay at least 95 % of the salary cap . That's the minimum.

We could either pay extra to guys who don't deserve it by renegotiating contracts

Keep guys like Jones ,ledwards and witherden on the list at 300k a year

Renegotiate barass contract for more or trade him to the bulldogs paying the rest of his contract with us for 2 x first rounders

We could give gaff another year .

We could pick up another free agent who actually might to come to us like zurhaah

Take a salary dump from another club like Caleb Daniel.

Or we could front load English in a 6 year contract where the last 3 years are significantly less than the first 3 . Eg 1mil , 1mil , 1mil , 600k , 600k , 600k .

We would get English for free draft pick wise and be using salary cap that would be wasted otherwise .

Until the afl allows to exclusively trade cap space for picks we will have to find other ways to use it

The way I look at it we have to pay at least 95 % of the salary cap . That's the minimum.

We could either pay extra to guys who don't deserve it by renegotiating contracts

Keep guys like Jones ,ledwards and witherden on the list at 300k a year

Renegotiate barass contract for more or trade him to the bulldogs paying the rest of his contract with us for 2 x first rounders

We could give gaff another year .

We could pick up another free agent who actually might to come to us like zurhaah

Take a salary dump from another club like Caleb Daniel.

Or we could front load English in a 6 year contract where the last 3 years are significantly less than the first 3 . Eg 1mil , 1mil , 1mil , 600k , 600k , 600k .

We would get English for free draft pick wise and be using salary cap that would be wasted otherwise .

Until the afl allows to exclusively trade cap space for picks we will have to find other ways to use it
The front loading is likely why barrass wants to renegotiate. He ate his cake and now wants another cake. He needs to be traded out.

Interesting to see Collingwoods recruiting over past 10 years, few father sons have maybe saved them from themselves.

2022 probably too early to say.
Not sure why Macrae has a cross. Seems to have played pretty well. It also excludes a heap of picks to support their bias.

2013 - Tom Langdon 65
2014 - Mason Cox rookie
2017 - Brody Mihocek rookie
2018 - John Noble rookie
2020 - Beau McCreery 44
2020 - Jack Ginnivan rookie
2022 - Oleg Markov rookie

As well as the trades in, many of which have been cheap and effective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why Macrae has a cross. Seems to have played pretty well. It also excludes a heap of picks to support their bias.

2013 - Tom Langdon 65
2014 - Mason Cox rookie
2018 - John Noble rookie
2020 - Beau McCreery 44

Yeah it's amazing what you can do with a good footy department, development and coaching in a club.

2013 - Tom Langdon 65
2014 - Mason Cox rookie
2018 - John Noble rookie
2020 - Beau McCreery 44

True there’s a few really goodrole players missed. Those late picks are what we’ve missed. Macrae sucks and will be delisted. They’re pretty unhappy with their picks the last couple of years too, Allan hasn’t come on, Jakob Ryan is apparently already cut and DeMattia can’t get near it in the reserves, the fans think he’s a bust too.

We need a lot. Worry about what this guy can offer in 2 years.
There will be 20 new players between now and then.
Haha, Of course we need a lot better now but that is horrible thinking about putting him on a shelf for 2 years time.

Under the proposed new rules we can put 2 years of development into him now knowing we get the rewards. Along with an extra year into Walley, Banfield and Koby. These guys will be better prepared for when they hit the afl draft like a lot of the FS and academy players have stepped straight up.

2013 - Tom Langdon 65
2014 - Mason Cox rookie
2018 - John Noble rookie
2020 - Beau McCreery 44

Macrae is terrible

2013 - Tom Langdon 65
2014 - Mason Cox rookie
2018 - John Noble rookie
2020 - Beau McCreery 44

Macrae is not great at afl level.

A lot of misses with early picks but have done ok with the later picks. No superstars but great role players. Just what we need atm

Last edited:
If Tim English comes it makes Harry Barnetts 2 year deal even dumber. 5th choice ruck he will be (Livingstone is better then him). If English comes 100% we gotta tap Bailey Williams on the shoulder and move him on. Seems the perfect candidate for those who wanted Rory Lobb but probably wont get him.

Question is, what is his worth. I know oppositon fans will say 3rd rounder durrrrrrrr but reality is in a market with zero rucks available his value will be much higher. Demons probably most ideal candidate for Bailey himself but pick 38 shouldnt be considered enough. Collingwoods pick 28 could work. One from left field could be St Kilda. We have seen the want they have to give Rowan Marshall more time up forward but cant cos Tom Campbell is too average. Pick 25 would look good. Richmond in any Liam Baker deal but then I really dont want Baker so id like that to not be a goer.

I think Tim English for free and pick 25 for Bailey Williams would be a good move overall

Tom is my favourite current player, but even I'm coming around to testing the market for what picks he could net us.

Cheering for him to get a flag somewhere else (on better coin) would give me another reason to tune into the footy... which is a list that grows smaller all of the time, given the state of our list and of the game more broadly.

2013 - Tom Langdon 65
2014 - Mason Cox rookie
2018 - John Noble rookie
2020 - Beau McCreery 44

These players would help a team be ordinary. It's the fact they have three AA/near AA talent in Daicos x2 and Moore (despite being shit this year), through the f/s. Coupled with staying power of Pendles/Sidey/Howe etc., they players listed above have been able to support the top end they have on the list.

If you don't have the top end, it doesn't matter if you hit some solid picks through the rookie draft/late picks.

Pies have an old list though and the fall off could be painful in the next few years (and its started this year to a degree).

Macrae is not great at afl level.

A lot of misses with early picks but have done ok with the later picks. No superstars but great role players. Just what we need atm

Yet Macrae is so terrible he still managed to hand our bunch of blokes a beating with his 3 goals

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back