List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Luke Ryan is 188cm, btw.

One of the better 'key' defenders in the league.

Also, Waterman's dominated some very tall defenders this year.

Height is definitely an advantage but if you are simply much better than your opponent, it ultimately doesn't matter.
End of last year Hurn (186cm) played on Larkey(198cm) and beat him comfortably.

Height can definitely be managed with skill, but probably need a McGovern type floating around to chop off leads, no way to stop those when giving up that much height

Any team that goes full rebuild like the one proposed is taking a massive risk. If they missed on a number of those picks they are in a world of hurt with a lack of senior players having ripped out the guts of their 24-27 age group in Bolton, Baker, Graham, and Rioli, with a bunch of senior players hitting retirement/injured out age (Martin, Grimes, Picket, Prestia, McIntosh, Lynch (4 games only this season and last)).

If they miss on the draft hand they'd be destroyed with Tassie coming in and taking the draft apart.
Graham is out as a FA - not a choice

Baker has made it clear he wants to go home - out of contract so minimal control

Rioli and Bolton are important players and in contract. This is what Tigers need to consider. A good draft hand if they stay or a brilliant draft hand if they leave. They are crap now with their current depth not being good enough. I would be pulling the lever.

If it was my call, I would not be asking for all the picks to be in 2024. I would stagger the Freo picks for Bolton and Baker to be 2 R1 this year and a R1 next year. I would also look to be buying the Lions R1 next year. That would leave them with picks 1 9 10 13 20 21 22 and 2 extra R1 picks next year. And yes, it is not a statement that they will nail all the picks but with what I have seen, this feels like a strong late R1 through to end R2 draft.

Here was their line up on the weekend
1723528051144.png

The side looks very ordinary. This slide lost to Norf by 8 goals.

So what about injuries? Here is the weekend injury list
1723528149328.png
The only players I really rate on the injured list are Grimes (33), Lynch (31 and always injured) and Gibcus. The rest are foot solders.

They desperately need talls in the front and back and the draft is loaded with them at the range of 15 to 25.

Here is the reality. Tigers just won 3 flags and went for Hopper and Taranto to try to get another (remind me a bit like the Eagles). Nothing wrong doing this as you need to make hay while the sun shines. It has left them awfully short in their list make up

Graham is out as a FA - not a choice

Baker has made it clear he wants to go home - out of contract so minimal control

Rioli and Bolton are important players and in contract. This is what Tigers need to consider. A good draft hand if they stay or a brilliant draft hand if they leave. They are crap now with their current depth not being good enough. I would be pulling the lever.

If it was my call, I would not be asking for all the picks to be in 2024. I would stagger the Freo picks for Bolton and Baker to be 2 R1 this year and a R1 next year. I would also look to be buying the Lions R1 next year. That would leave them with picks 1 9 10 13 20 21 22 and 2 extra R1 picks next year. And yes, it is not a statement that they will nail all the picks but with what I have seen, this feels like a strong late R1 through to end R2 draft.

Here was their line up on the weekend
View attachment 2078102

The side looks very ordinary. This slide lost to Norf by 8 goals.

So what about injuries? Here is the weekend injury list
View attachment 2078104
The only players I really rate on the injured list are Grimes (33), Lynch (31 and always injured) and Gibcus. The rest are foot solders.

They desperately need talls in the front and back and the draft is loaded with them at the range of 15 to 25.

Here is the reality. Tigers just won 3 flags and went for Hopper and Taranto to try to get another (remind me a bit like the Eagles). Nothing wrong doing this as you need to make hay while the sun shines. It has left them awfully short in their list make up
I don't disagree with your assessment of their list.

It's just whether they have the appetite for multiple 100 point thrashings in the next couple of years. That's what would happen.

I don't disagree with your assessment of their list.

It's just whether they have the appetite for multiple 100 point thrashings in the next couple of years. That's what would happen.
They have just won 3 flags. The supporters are still grinning. And the Yellow and Black army will have gained a huge following for their recent success. Having lived in Melbourne for 10 years, there is a real take up of club support in a period of sustained success. The Hawks in the 70's has a Norf esq sized following and their success in the last 40 years is turning them into a big club membership. And yes I know that Launceston has inflated their numbers but they seem to fill out the MCG when travelling well.

Looking at the list, they will be getting 50 to 70 point thrashings anyway.

Yes, I think Bailey is better than both. No I don't think he's the answer he's handy depth, we need to find that number 1 ruck this off-season
Flynn I can sort of understand, he wasn't getting a game at his last club and hasn't set the world on fire or demanded selection when playing in the 2's for us.

Barnett? He's 20 and has played 2 league games. Writing off a ruckman at 20 years old is ridiculous.

Someone had to ask it

KVEWg9J.png

An article in the HUN by Duffield

Hawthorn’s surge to AFL top leaves Tom Barrass move in doubt​

Hawthorn’s incredible rise to the AFL top eight could have a disastrous impact on its hopes of landing West Coast defender Tom Barrass. MARK DUFFIELD explains why.

There might be a groundswell of belief that Tom Barrass will be wearing a Hawthorn jumper in 2025 but the path for the contracted defender to get there looks like being a complicated one.

Barrass, who has three years of a deal still to run at the Eagles, is likely to command a price of two first round draft picks from West Coast, who sit in the driver’s seat in any trade negotiation that takes place because of the contract.
He had been courted by the Western Bulldogs earlier in the season and there was interest – either from he, Sydney or both at the end of last season but right now the Hawks appear to be the frontrunners for his services should the Eagles agree to a trade.

And that is where the problem may lay. As Hawthorn climbs the ladder rapidly at the end of this season — with the potential to go higher still in the finals — the task for them to satisfy the Eagles in any trade becomes more difficult.
Hawthorn’s first pick in this year’s national draft now sits just outside the top 10.

Industry sources believe it would take two first-round picks to turn West Coast’s heads – and even that may not get it done given the expected trajectory of Sam Mitchell’s young team.

A first-round pick this year with a future first thrown in does not sound anywhere near as attractive as it did a few weeks ago when Hawthorn was still well adrift of the eight.

Mitchell’s team looks set to play finals this year and has the look of a group that will improve again next year – putting a future first round pick somewhere around 15-20 rather than inside the top 10.

And the Eagles are playing things cool on this one. They know that their best strategy is to be disinterested until an offer comes along that has to interest them. There is no indication that has occurred yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When does Tassie start affecting the draft? (re: Hawks diminishing first round picks)
Also if everybody knows TB has a back problem that will affect his longevity (he says he plays through pain every game), then Hawthorn must know that...a 5yr deal???? He won't last that long, we'll be lucky to get a couple more years I reckon. Be surprised if he goes anywhere...

Last edited:
View attachment 2078140
Pretty good stats wise, 25 years old.

Have said it before but I'll say it again - Don't know why we don't use our rookie spots on these guys

Best case scenario you get a mature age player that comes in and has an immediate impact at AFL level

Worst case scenario you waste a 1 year rookie contract on a player that is handy for the Beagles. Delist and start the process over again.

The risk/reward here seems absurd

I think if it's 2 first rounders it's enough, even if they aren't top 10 picks.
No idea how strong the draft crop is next year but with who would be available at the hawks pick it's worth it

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
No way would two late first round picks be acceptable for TB.

Would need at least pick 10 just as starters.
We're in the driving seat here.

Have said it before but I'll say it again - Don't know why we don't use our rookie spots on these guys

Best case scenario you get a mature age player that comes in and has an immediate impact at AFL level

Worst case scenario you waste a 1 year rookie contract on a player that is handy for the Beagles. Delist and start the process over again.

The risk/reward here seems absurd
Eastland puts up some nice stats. Is he a little too small for AFL ruck?

An article in the HUN by Duffield

Hawthorn’s surge to AFL top leaves Tom Barrass move in doubt​

Hawthorn’s incredible rise to the AFL top eight could have a disastrous impact on its hopes of landing West Coast defender Tom Barrass. MARK DUFFIELD explains why.

There might be a groundswell of belief that Tom Barrass will be wearing a Hawthorn jumper in 2025 but the path for the contracted defender to get there looks like being a complicated one.

Barrass, who has three years of a deal still to run at the Eagles, is likely to command a price of two first round draft picks from West Coast, who sit in the driver’s seat in any trade negotiation that takes place because of the contract.
He had been courted by the Western Bulldogs earlier in the season and there was interest – either from he, Sydney or both at the end of last season but right now the Hawks appear to be the frontrunners for his services should the Eagles agree to a trade.

And that is where the problem may lay. As Hawthorn climbs the ladder rapidly at the end of this season — with the potential to go higher still in the finals — the task for them to satisfy the Eagles in any trade becomes more difficult.
Hawthorn’s first pick in this year’s national draft now sits just outside the top 10.

Industry sources believe it would take two first-round picks to turn West Coast’s heads – and even that may not get it done given the expected trajectory of Sam Mitchell’s young team.

A first-round pick this year with a future first thrown in does not sound anywhere near as attractive as it did a few weeks ago when Hawthorn was still well adrift of the eight.

Mitchell’s team looks set to play finals this year and has the look of a group that will improve again next year – putting a future first round pick somewhere around 15-20 rather than inside the top 10.

And the Eagles are playing things cool on this one. They know that their best strategy is to be disinterested until an offer comes along that has to interest them. There is no indication that has occurred yet.
Nothing really surprising in that article TBH.
Us supporters have been saying pretty much exactly the same thing for a while now.

I think if it's 2 first rounders it's enough, even if they aren't top 10 picks.
No idea how strong the draft crop is next year but with who would be available at the hawks pick it's worth it

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Significants number of Norther Academy picks in the top 30 next year. That said, I always take them out and just look at the pool available to the picks we might have.

We do not yet know the rules of the draft next year other than you can match bids anywhere, there will only be a 10% discount, points will stop at pick 54 and earlier picks will be more valuable.

Charlie Banfield at Claremont is a FS that we is looking good and he is a class ball user on the wing or running HBF. With another 12 months development, that may change.

Wesley Walley at Subiaco (Eagles NGA) is very crafty forward with bags of tricks.

Kobe Evans is another Eagles NGA and he has a great set of wheels on him

Top end prospects
  • Fred Rodriguez is a South Freo product and as been constantly amassing 20 to 30 disposals each week and looks a top end prospect.
  • Sam Curtin is a Claremont product and unlike his older brother, likes playing as a KPD
-Sam Swadling is a Falcon product and is a super smooth mid mover but at 65 kg and 177 cm, he has lots of growing ahead of him before he can play WAFL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back