List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. We need one monster KPD who can slap meat with a 200cm gorilla full forward, but I reckon Hedwards can fill that role and a well-drilled backline built around Hough, Ginbey, and Bazzo would be talented enough to compensate for a lack of height.

Edwards is too injury plagued to build a backline around.

We more than likely will find ourselves in Hawthorn’s position in a few years time, trying to buy a veteran to fill the role.

Someone had to ask it

KVEWg9J.png
Trade capital. "He's contracted"!

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm happy to see TB go but am scratching my head trying to figure out how we're going to hit the 95% salary cap minimum.

We're going to lose TB's contract and Gaff's (at leas $900k but it may have been back-ended and be up to $1.1M). That's probably around $1.5M at least freed up. Then we have the salary cap increase to factor in as well.

Its a very weird space to be in really, not just TB and Gaff but we need to delist Witherden and Rotham who are both probably on triple what we're paying the under 20's on their first contract, and ideally we'd move on Darling and or Cripps as well who'd be a tier above those guys. Allen, Gov, Yeo, Kelly all good on their deals, other than a huge pay increase for Waterman [which is deserved] and upgrading Trew to the main list and paying him a proper wage its all very interesting. Feel like there's going to be some really flawed list decisions made just because of this situation where we have no players in that middle age bracket earring those 350-600k a year deals.

If we could swing Barrass and our F2 for Hawthorn’s R1 and F1 plus the Collingwood R2 they own I’d be happy with that

Based on current ladder positions it would give us picks 3,11,23,28 to take to the draft and moves our F2 into Hawthorn’s F1

Two extra picks this year plus an upgrade of a future pick

I’d be happy to pay some of TB’s salary to get it over the line if needed

After seeing billiams piss poor efforts around the ground consistently, and regression from his performances last year. We badly need a high performing ruckman.

I concur with playing hard ball for TB for any team with no regard for his preference, because if that's the case we may as well pay the man the bucks he deserves and keep him for a couple and offload him for a trade later on when he's older and get practically the same value (I.e a mediocre first rounder)

Sell Barrass for Hawks pick 11 and future 1st. And sell Ryan for a 1st rounder. There are plenty of others to get rid of but I doubt they have any draft capital.

Now that it appears that English is off the table , not official yet but looking very likely he is staying with the dogs...... we can table to DeKoning what we were going to offer English?

I think we honestly should just stick with what we know in Flynn and Williams x 2 for now and seeing how Barnett and Livingston develop. We also have Jamison and Harry Edwards and Archer Reid who can go in there if necessary, don't need to be wasting time or a list spot chasing a 10th ruckman just because suddenly we no longer have the #1 tap ruckman in the league.

All inclusive list of West Coast ruckman who have won a premiership:

Paul Harding
Karl Langdon
David Hynes
Ryan Turnball
Jason Ball
Dean Cox
Mark Seaby
Scott Lycett
Nathan Vardy

Short list of West Coast ruckman who played in losing grand finals:

Michael Gardiner [#1 pick and 1 x AA ruckman]
Nic Naitanui [#2 pick and 3x AA ruckman]
Dean Irving [polled 10 votes in 1991 Brownlow count]

Richmond are very reluctant to trade Bolton and I’m still hearing Freo is Baker’s most likely destination.

If the tigers do end up giving in on Bolton they’ll want to do a deal separate to Baker even though that seems ridiculous if they are both going to the same club.
If we don't get Baker , but get Graham at the price that will give Richmond band 3 compo 2 picks before our 2nd we are just not very good at trade week .

The only reason we should offer overs to a slow , injury prone defensive mid like Graham is to pull levers somewhere else aka getting Baker cheaper .

The only levers we seem to pull at trade week are for trapdoors that we are standing on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sell Barrass for Hawks pick 11 and future 1st. And sell Ryan for a 1st rounder. There are plenty of others to get rid of but I doubt they have any draft capital.
So its hawks pick 11 ..thought it was 10 last week :think: ..what about next week pick 12 or the week after that pick 13 ??

If we are going to get rid of Barrass something from 5-9 for me ...up to the hawks to get that pick

Perhaps we should just wait and see where the hawks finish before we are so quick to firesale barrass ??

So its hawks pick 11 ..thought it was 10 last week :think: ..what about next week pick 12 or the week after that pick 13 ??

If we are going to get rid of Barrass something from 5-9 for me ...up to the hawks to get that pick

Perhaps we should just wait and see where the hawks finish before we are so quick to firesale barrass ??
The point that im pretty sure you grasped, was 2 early to mid first rounders. Happy for more.

I think we honestly should just stick with what we know in Flynn and Williams x 2 for now and seeing how Barnett and Livingston develop. We also have Jamison and Harry Edwards and Archer Reid who can go in there if necessary, don't need to be wasting time or a list spot chasing a 10th ruckman just because suddenly we no longer have the #1 tap ruckman in the league.

All inclusive list of West Coast ruckman who have won a premiership:

Paul Harding
Karl Langdon
David Hynes
Ryan Turnball
Jason Ball
Dean Cox
Mark Seaby
Scott Lycett
Nathan Vardy

Short list of West Coast ruckman who played in losing grand finals:

Michael Gardiner [#1 pick and 1 x AA ruckman]
Nic Naitanui [#2 pick and 3x AA ruckman]
Dean Irving [polled 10 votes in 1991 Brownlow count]
One of these does not fit. KL wasn't a ruck mate.

So who's the next-best available ruck we can either poach or draft after English?

BWill has GOT to go in 2025 - he is an absolute liability in the middle.

We should be touting Reid, Yeo, Kelly and presumably a Top 3 mid from this year's draft in the middle come Round 1 next year. We need a decent ruck to feed these beasts.

I'm just not getting all this Bailey Williams is a liability talk, Xeri is going to go All Australian this year, HO's were 33 to 29. Xeri racked up more stats as is to be expected but his role is slightly different. Bailey's game was fine. Took maybe our best contested mark for 3rd week in a row, had 2 goal assists [Trew, Darling goals I think] and 5 inside 50's and fought it out all day. He's improving every week, is our most durable player, and the youngest #1 ruck in the league. He is absolutely fine and if every midfielder we select puts in the same amount of effort he does then most days we are going to win the midfield battle against most sides. He doesn't need to be Nic Naitanui or Dean Cox.

Screenshot 2024-08-13 at 5.56.47 pm.jpeg

I'm just not getting all this Bailey Williams is a liability talk, Xeri is going to go All Australian this year, HO's were 33 to 29. Xeri racked up more stats as is to be expected but his role is slightly different. Bailey's game was fine. Took maybe our best contested mark for 3rd week in a row, had 2 goal assists [Trew, Darling goals I think] and 5 inside 50's and fought it out all day. He's improving every week, is our most durable player, and the youngest #1 ruck in the league. He is absolutely fine and if every midfielder we select puts in the same amount of effort he does then most days we are going to win the midfield battle against most sides. He doesn't need to be Nic Naitanui or Dean Cox.

View attachment 2078389
I guess it's just the fact that BWilliams never wins a match. He tries hard and ppl respect that but we're hoping to climb the ladder soon and need a ruck to lead the way

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we could swing Barrass and our F2 for Hawthorn’s R1 and F1 plus the Collingwood R2 they own I’d be happy with that

Based on current ladder positions it would give us picks 3,11,23,28 to take to the draft and moves our F2 into Hawthorn’s F1

Two extra picks this year plus an upgrade of a future pick

I’d be happy to pay some of TB’s salary to get it over the line if needed

I'm not a fan of splitting 3. My preference is to take one of Draper, Jagar or FOS.

However if the powers that be deem a split then I wonder if the suns would want pick 3. They can take another gun mid, and still have another pick late first round to spend on any bid for academy.

give 7 and the dogs R1 (currently 12, but possibly higher after finals) for 3.

Then it would be

7 11 12 23 28

Or

If suns lose their last 2 games they could drop on the ladder and finish with pick 5. Then they could give 5 and the end first round compo pick they got from north 20

Then it would be

5 11 20 23 28

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

MWT update
  • Jack Macrae might move but only to a Melb club.
  • brother Finlay Macrae wants to play afl somewhere
  • Peatling wants to play inside mid and has had an offer in front of him for a few weeks. (Jay-Z ‘he would suit some Vic Teams’) If we get Monty as coach I hope he can bring him over.

Age report Neal-Bullen has told the Dees we wants to be traded back to SA. Dees fire sale is on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back