List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 37 27.2%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 18 13.2%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Add in Faull and Langford and one of the twins, will be a hard top ten this year
great depth this year
Will be interesting where you father son and nga academy kids rate for next year.

If you could get hold of Freo’s picks this year and points for your kids next year, you could add 4 first round draftees this, and a couple of “free” hits next year.

Anyone think we should have waited for Tim English? I dont think so myself but do wonder if people at the club would be thinking this

I get the feeling he would come to us and pretty cheaply too compared to what was being talked about 12 months ago. We could have easily got him on a 5 year 4.5 mill deal for example I suspect

Feel a few at the club would wish we had a few less rucks and to go for that deal

Kobie on his speed alone makes him a tantalising prospect 2.80 for 20m repeat sprint is very very elite
also very nice size 185cm

Banfield has terrific hands is so so clean, very good at ground balls and does not loose his feet
Kicking is good if he can increase his production next year really looks a player

Walley good size 182cm huge leap good speed can play midfield as well
FFS, he is 16 years old mate. If he can incease production? You think by 17 he will be too old to improve or some crap?

Shit take

Anyone think we should have waited for Tim English? I dont think so myself but do wonder if people at the club would be thinking this

I get the feeling he would come to us and pretty cheaply too compared to what was being talked about 12 months ago. We could have easily got him on a 5 year 4.5 mill deal for example I suspect

Feel a few at the club would wish we had a few less rucks and to go for that deal
If English kept up his AA form and Darcy hadnt gone as well as he has this year I think English would be a lot harder to get. Couldnt predict all that to happen.

Flynn will be fine, hes a stop gap who can win a few hitouts until we find something long term

Nope

FFS, he is 16 years old mate. If he can incease production? You think by 17 he will be too old to improve or some crap?

Shit take
RE has one of the best eyes on the board for talent, especially local.

Even at 17 players start to show a natural propensity to find the ball. I get exactly where RE was coming from. Let's hope he can continue to grow in this area.

Travaglia could be top 6 by draft time.

Looks like this year’s Hayden Young, and it’s not unreasonable that he has the same type of career progression.

Not unreasonable to have him ahead of players like Jagga Smith, Moraes, etc. if they aren’t part of your top tier mids.

Could be something like;
1. Smillie
2. O’Sullivan
3. Ashcroft
4. Draper
5. Lombard
6. Travaglia
7. Smith
8. Lalor
9. Trainor
10. Moraes
Then that kinda puts a full stop of splitting our pick doesnt it?

Travaglia starts progressing upthe board, we can't split pick 3. If he is the guy we target and believe he is top 3 then we reach and grab him there....Everything I read suggest he isnt though?

My point is, the recruitment team needs to be doing double time this year and next year for so many scenarios; I am not a draft guru but I think they really need to do a deep dive on this years talent, next, and their targets. And ask themselves a couple of questions like below. I'd love to be a fly on the wall.

Do we aim for x1 Elite talent (FOS) or Do we split for x2 picks in the teens for what will B Graders to fill need?
Do we trade out this year for the aim to have more representation next year being large WA cohort?
Do we get kids this year, knowing we go hard for Chad Warner next year and wont be in the draft 2025 (Honest conversations with his manager to see if he is gettable. If there is need to match?)
Do we trade F1 ignoring WA talent and Sharp to get better representation this year FOS + Lalor/Trainor .etc

Me personally, I wouldnt split the pick this year.

Pick 3 gets us FOS/Draper, and next year if Warner is on the table go for him I'd be throwing some crazy numbers so we dont have to match 1.8 MIL, and still be hoping to pick up one of the kids in 2025 - Sharp, Greeves .etc

2026 = Curtin

***This is also not assuming we use junk yard picks to get Busslinger, Baker, Sheldrick, Collard, Tholstrup, Hardeman and Adams. We missed the boat on Jones unfortunately...

Will be interesting where you father son and nga academy kids rate for next year.

If you could get hold of Freo’s picks this year and points for your kids next year, you could add 4 first round draftees this, and a couple of “free” hits next year.
How do you mean?

At the moment we cant match until pick 40, so our NGA is a tease if we have anyone better than that. Banifield will be interesting, unless we can hide him like its the 90's again?

Shit take
Why is it a shit take? RE summed those 3 players up perfectly from what I’ve seen of them. We have a lot to look forward to next year with 2 NGA products and a F/S all looking like good prospects.

I know this will cop some criticism, but in a small way I hope Warner signs on with Sydney.

I am getting uncomfortable with the obsession to get a player that will likely cost us TK type draft capital. If waRner comes close to a Brownlow or normsmith at either the end of this or next year, swans will want the farm.

Don't get me wrong, Warner, Reid, Yeo, Hewett, ginbey is tantalising but not if we sacrifice positional needs across the other lines.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why is it a shit take? RE summed those 3 players up perfectly from what I’ve seen of them. We have a lot to look forward to next year with 2 NGA products and a F/S all looking like good prospects.
Yeh not sure what he was smoking. RE summed it up nicely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this will cop some criticism, but in a small way I hope Warner signs on with Sydney.

I am getting uncomfortable with the obsession to get a player that will likely cost us TK type draft capital. If waRner comes close to a Brownlow or normsmith at either the end of this or next year, swans will want the farm.

Don't get me wrong, Warner, Reid, Yeo, Hewett, ginbey is tantalising but not if we sacrifice positional needs across the other lines.

The player I would want from Sydney, and the one who would suit our current need, would be Blakey. He is the playmaker from half back that we desperately need.

IMO most high profile trades tend to backfire a little for the team who picks them up.

Then that kinda puts a full stop of splitting our pick doesnt it?

Travaglia starts progressing upthe board, we can't split pick 3. If he is the guy we target and believe he is top 3 then we reach and grab him there....Everything I read suggest he isnt though?

My point is, the recruitment team needs to be doing double time this year and next year for so many scenarios; I am not a draft guru but I think they really need to do a deep dive on this years talent, next, and their targets. And ask themselves a couple of questions like below. I'd love to be a fly on the wall.

Do we aim for x1 Elite talent (FOS) or Do we split for x2 picks in the teens for what will B Graders to fill need?
Do we trade out this year for the aim to have more representation next year being large WA cohort?
Do we get kids this year, knowing we go hard for Chad Warner next year and wont be in the draft 2025 (Honest conversations with his manager to see if he is gettable. If there is need to match?)
Do we trade F1 ignoring WA talent and Sharp to get better representation this year FOS + Lalor/Trainor .etc

Me personally, I wouldnt split the pick this year.

Pick 3 gets us FOS/Draper, and next year if Warner is on the table go for him I'd be throwing some crazy numbers so we dont have to match 1.8 MIL, and still be hoping to pick up one of the kids in 2025 - Sharp, Greeves .etc

2026 = Curtin

***This is also not assuming we use junk yard picks to get Busslinger, Baker, Sheldrick, Collard, Tholstrup, Hardeman and Adams. We missed the boat on Jones unfortunately...
I will try to reply in depth later.

But Warner is NOT a free agent next year, so you or Freo will have to trade for him, no matter what.
How do you mean?

At the moment we cant match until pick 40, so our NGA is a tease if we have anyone better than that. Banifield will be interesting, unless we can hide him like its the 90's again?
I meant, you have two kids you/we presume you’ll have access to, no matter what next year.

So all you need is the points for them next year.

So what to do with your first round pick next, knowing you have two kids already in your pocket.

If you don’t have a top 2 pick next year, you probably miss out on Sharp (who a few posters here are saying is the reason not to trade your first round pick, like you’re guaranteed to finish last).

If you’re kids are rated mid first round next year, it makes it hard to split your pick next year, if you trade back, and then someone bids on Banfield or Walley.

But if you split your future first round pick this year, say with Freo, you can load up on 3 or 4 first round picks this year, and try and get points in the later rounds next year. Knowing you also have a couple of good kids you are guaranteed to get for points next year.

Warner extending for 2 years with Sydney to FA would be a fantastic result, then offer a deal the swans can’t match end of 2027.

But Warner is NOT a free agent next year, so you or Freo will have to trade for him, no matter what.
My bad I thought Warner was RFA.

He improves the side significantly but is he worth the two F1’s, one being in the top 10? Because that’s probably the minimum to get him in the door.

Also another nuance to our strategy going forward.
If you don’t have a top 2 pick next year, you probably miss out on Sharp (who a few posters here are saying is the reason not to trade your first round pick, like you’re guaranteed to finish last).
I don’t see us moving out of the bottom three yet.

I don’t trust Yeo, McGovern to give us a full season. I also don’t see enough of the young brigade taking another level with the exception of Hough, Ginbey, Long and Hewett.

The list of kids literally on watch is growing, and it doesn’t look good. I seriously hope I am wrong!

Murphy Reid was unbelievable, Moraes also had his best game so far

Do want to hear people say we should take Draper at 3 anymore, doesn’t excel at anything or offer anything different - 5 kicks and 15 handballs from his 20 possessions today, only 176M gained too lol.

Murphy Reid was unbelievable, Moraes also had his best game so far

Do want to hear people say we should take Draper at 3 anymore, doesn’t excel at anything or offer anything different - 5 kicks and 15 handballs from his 20 possessions today, only 176M gained too lol.
People say he is missing. But the games he's missing he's still getting 20 possesions.

I didn't watch the whole game but I saw a third quarter piece where he showed aggression and won a one on one contest and pushed ball forward.

He's like Shuey but one on one might be better.

He excels at contested game, clearance and speed. He has showed more then Jagga and Smillie in Nat championship.

But has gone down a peg. But so has everyone else.

People say he is missing. But the games he's missing he's still getting 20 possesions.

I didn't watch the whole game but I saw a third quarter piece where he showed aggression and won a one on one contest and pushed ball forward.

He's like Shuey but one on one might be better.

He excels at contested game, clearance and speed. He has showed more then Jagga and Smillie in Nat championship.

But has gone down a peg. But so has everyone else.

He has not been better than Jagga, Smillie has been underwhelming though.

I just don’t rate Draper that highly, he’s solid at most aspects but elite at none, he doesn’t kick goals which elite modern midfielders need to be able to do, he’s a decent clearance player but by no means an elite one, he’s not slow but not rapid and is not a threat aerially or a prolific ball winner.

Back