List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 49 28.5%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 21 12.2%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 42 24.4%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Ginbey will be an OK player for us. Will be one of those guys who plays 150 games plus as a role player but is never one of the best 8 - 10 players at the club and never challenges for AA extended squads of anything like that. But unfortunately for us, given the state of our list, we need our top 10 picks in this timeframe to be way better than that. We need match winners and guys who will become (in time) top 5 players at the club. So even though the Ginbey selection is a not a bust it kind of feels like one because we needed so much more out of that pick than what we are going to get.

A lot of hope riding on an injury-prone Hewett.

Pray I Hope GIF

He has one injury. Poorly managed last year and should've had the surgery in the off season, not when he did. Had he had after round 23 he wouldve come in about round 6. Having him for the last 12 weeks might have changed things up a bit.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Carroll is completely one sided with an average kick, slow off the mark but decent top speed, (good overhead mark), has a competitive streak but tbh he's just another one of those guys who will be too good for vfl but not good enough at AFL level. He's never going to be a starting inside mid and outside of that I don't see a spot for him. Does not have 1 elite quality.
Sounds like he’d be ahead of quite a few players on our list.

If Baker says no, id simply be offering Isaac Cumming 5 year 5 mill like deal thats front loaded to the max.

If any of the other players are upset, they can go watch some highlights of last weeks game

I had a discussion with someone who’s an assistant coach at WAFL level in relation to our list. Reckon the development and talent recognition is laughable. For example, when they come up against Beagles, he noted that the Eagle listed players have so many glaring weaknesses that the look to use to their advantage. Don’t mean to slag- off Barnett, but said assistant coach said he has no idea what they’re doing with him, because from the time he’s stepped on a WAFL ground till now, he’s not improved at-all in his areas, still shows the same issues that they keep exploiting. He also states that the difference between playing Peel and playing Beagles is glaring in relation to blokes you can tell have the next level game being able to stand-out against wafl listed players. Concerning thoughts that people within the industry have these views.

Dev - 35 touches, 8 tackles, 1 goal

Carroll - 32 touches, 1 goal

Garcia - 27 touches, 8 tackles, 2 goals

Not sure how it can be disputed that these guys would be worth getting, especially in exchange for 3rd/4th rounders. The right age profiles too.

They may not be the superstars we need but at this point we don’t even have role players, emerging players or depth players getting these numbers in the WAFL.
Trew gets similar numbers but doesnt get a game for varying reasons. I think if people saw more of Jack Carroll they would see he lacks pace, is one footed, poor tackler and while he can accumulate possessions, isnt good enough defensively to play at AFL level

Garcia is the one we should be targeting. Getting a good run of games and has a bit more about him in the contest.

We are desperately short of defensive pressure, so id like to think anyone we get fits that bill. Its why out of Dev/Carroll/Parfitt im taking Parfitt every day of the week. 3 of his 8 games he got 10 tackles this season. When care factor and effort is a core problem, you do need guys who give a crap and Parfitt fits the bill

I had a discussion with someone who’s an assistant coach at WAFL level in relation to our list. Reckon the development and talent recognition is laughable. For example, when they come up against Beagles, he noted that the Eagle listed players have so many glaring weaknesses that the look to use to their advantage. Don’t mean to slag- off Barnett, but said assistant coach said he has no idea what they’re doing with him, because from the time he’s stepped on a WAFL ground till now, he’s not improved at-all in his areas, still shows the same issues that they keep exploiting. He also states that the difference between playing Peel and playing Beagles is glaring in relation to blokes you can tell have the next level game being able to stand-out against wafl listed players. Concerning thoughts that people within the industry have these views.
According to everyone here we needed to offer him a 2 year contract cos Adelaide would 100% take him off our hands due to how good he is...

He has one injury. Poorly managed last year and should've had the surgery in the off season, not when he did. Had he had after round 23 he wouldve come in about round 6. Having him for the last 12 weeks might have changed things up a bit.

Thats a 180 or what. I was told by multiple people it was good that he took ballet lessons in Melbourne and was the best thing for his future....

Anyone with eyes can see we stuffed this up and wasted a year. To be fair Hewett isnt the only persons year we wasted so cant feel. Bazzo was meant to begin training in March and ready in Round 4 for WAFL and here we are

We have 2.5 years to convince Harley to stay at west coast. At present i don't see any reason why he should stay. The match Committee are showing zero confidence in our young brigade & our old player just suck.

So who are these young guys we should be playing?

Are they banging down the door in the Beagles demanding selection?

Schofield, of the Jarrad type, was very upbeat about Hewett and Bazzo’s imminent returns during yesterday’s ABC Sportstalk interview.

Made me think - we’re not in a good place if Assistant Coach is pumping tyres of two players who have each played less than 20 (?) games. It was almost as if they are the only two shining lights on the list outside of current team (FMD)

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True but not 100% so. Culley, Trew should have played every game for quite a while now.

If we are sitting here thinking its better to play 5 tall forwards then a guy averaging 28 possessions a game in the worst WAFL team of all time cos no one is banging down the door, we probably have a issue with hearing the noise the door is making also

We have 2.5 years to convince Harley to stay at west coast. At present i don't see any reason why he should stay. The match Committee are showing zero confidence in our young brigade & our old player just suck.
Another bed wetter over Harley.

Love him to stay of course, but if he wants to go, he goes.

All of this "what can we do to make Harley happy and stay" is sickening IMO.

Prime Chris Judd would struggle to have an impact in the the beagles at the moment, our whole development program is broken.
Despite that, Trew, Culley, Hall (yesterday an abberation) should have been or should be given a run of 3 or 4 games in the AFL to see how they go. Maric should never have been dropped, he's a classy ball user which we have very few of in the side.
Dewar also shows something often enough to have a similar run and see what he's got.
We've completely wasted this season trying to win games with the older guys instead of using it to develop for the future. And we haven't even won that many games.

This is the issue with us having a stand alone wafl team. Why Pyke hasn't canned it is beyond me.

The team obviously has its issues but you’ve managed to identify the opposite of our problems. Our best players have been Yeo, McGovern, Barrass and to a lesser extent Kelly, so our older players don’t simply suck. And the team has stuck by Reid, Ginbey, Chesser, Hough, Long pre injury, now Bockman, so there is some confidence in our youth.

The club is transitioning and everyone will have their opinion on which older player should join Gaff and Sheed on the sidelines and which young kid will supposedly tear it up. Was never gonna happen all at once but I do agree it’s time to switch a few more around.

Another bed wetter over Harley.

Love him to stay of course, but if he wants to go, he goes.

All of this "what can we do to make Harley happy and stay" is sickening IMO.
I throw a differing view. Harley needs to up his game more constantly to be the want away greatest showman everyone's paranoid about.

Don't get me wrong, he has some great moments, and a couple of match winning games and shows all the signs, but he has also had some very quiet games and even without the suspension might not be the rising star shoein.

In 2028 who do you see as still in our best 22 from the current lot? I tend to think it will be

FB: Hough ??? ???
HB: ??? ??? Ginbey
C: ??? Reid ???
HF: ??? ??? Maric
FF: Waterman, Allen Long
R: ??? ??? ???
I/C: ???, ???, ???, ???

In the maybe pile id have Jack Williams, Bailey Williams, Liam Duggan still playing at 33, Brockman.

In the im hopefiul but not going to like count on it as its too soon is Hewett, Reid, Johnston

In Jack Williams, Bailey Williams and Archer Reid also I feel its 3 men competing for the 1 spot almost, so thats a issue too. It isnt too out of the box also to suggest injury cuts Waterman/Allens careers short too :(

Its fairly fair to say we need at a minimum 12 best 22 players from the next 4 years with a few of them needing to be top 50 players in the league (atleast 2, maybe 3?). If you do the same list for a side like Fremantle, its going to make you even more depressed then the above does

Back