List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 52 22.8%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 43 18.9%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 23 10.1%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 50 21.9%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 19 8.3%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

I am in the minority who actually want English. I don't think he is a downgrade in the ruck from what we already have (surely) and he is significantly better around the ground, pushes back in defence and even pops forward for goals. Plus he accumulates which it seems is also a problem area.
Biggest issue is is concussion history.

If Flynn has a poor end to the year once hes back from his ankle, then I think English would be worth looking at 100%.

Will depend on what the new coach wants in a ruckman though

Can someone provide some context where the talk surrounding Barrass has come from.

If he was to go, why didn’t he leave last year?

If he does request a trade what could we expect for him;

Pick 5-10 + R2.

Gun mids in their 20's are traded for top 10 picks and a 2nd rounder.

30 year old fullbacks?

It didnt happen last year allegedly because he wouldnt have passed a physical due to his back.

The talk is coming from the fact the Bulldogs have put out an offer, a good offer. And it sounds like TB wants more money and a longer contract. Which should make us nervous either way.

So a few dots to join here. Even though he came out and said all good nothing to see here.........."unless the club pulls the carpet out from under me". Whatever that means.

Last edited:

Gun mids in their 20's are traded for top 10 picks and a 2nd rounder.

30 year old fullbacks?

It didnt happen last year allegedly because he wouldnt have passed a physical due to his back.

The talk is coming from the fact the Bulldogs have put out an offer, a good offer. And it sounds like TB wants more money and a longer contract. Whuch should make us nervous.

So a few dots to join here. Even though he came out and said all good nothing to see here.........."unless the club pulls the carpet out from under me". Whatever that means.
Has busslinger actually signed on? Did I miss the presser?

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Darling to Collingwood Quinten Lynch style.

From what we as supporters understand (or get told) we have 2 players asking for more $. Firstly let’s acknowledge they could 100% get paid more elsewhere:

TB, signed a longish term contract pre significant cap increase. As one of few clubs who don’t tie cap increases (or decreases) to contracts he is now on unders.

Waterman, 2 years signed last year. He was under a health cloud, was a fringe player and 2 years gets him to FA. Circa $400-450k annually from reports so around AFL average.

Honestly very hard to make a case for too many others on our list who could or should demand a pay increase on form.

So, do we cave and pay what they are worth based on current form? Do we negotiate only future years at an increased rate? (I.e. honour current contract but we will add). Or do we recognise that the increased $ demand also comes with an increase in market (trade) value and look to create a win/win?

There is a reasonable case for each option so will be intrigued to see it play out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d be happy to up the contract value for Barrass as it’s almost certain he’s on unders. Reluctant to increase his contract length past its existing 2027 end date though given he turns 32 that year.

If he does ask for a trade, which I wouldn’t begrudge him doing, to take a longer contract on significantly more money then we have the whip hand in negotiations since he has a contract with us. Don’t want to see him go but it would give us the opportunity to boost our draft hand with what I would hope/expect to be a top 10 pick

As for Waterman, there was significant doubt on his playing future last year which impacted his contract value

I’d wait until the season ends to see how he finishes the year in tandem with Allen (and hopefully with Jack Williams) then renegotiate his existing deal

Again, as with Barrass, I don’t want to see him go but we do have the upper hand since he’s contracted for next year. Not sure he’s worth a top 10 pick but a mid to late R1 pick would be fair

Shapes as an intriguing trade period for us

We need a genuine clearance player with speed and spread from the contest.

If we split to get 2 first round picks sid draiper would be the only player I would be happy to settle for as our first pick .

Dropping back a few spots to 5 -7 (draiper) and then pocket a later teens pick for bo Allen

I do like the look of Herbert also with our 2nd pick as that hard running wingman
Crows would be all over Sid I reckon at 4

TBs having a great year, but I don't particularly like getting squeezed for bumping his pay.

Players want certainty and insurance so they get rewarded with extra years on the contract. We offered him that, at an agreed rate and now that the cap is bumped up he wants his cake and to eat it too?

He is no idiot, and his manager does this as his profession. Both would have known the cap increase was inevitable.

Jake I get, but theres no hurry to review his terms. The fact he wanted more years and we declined has actually worked in his favour given his form. He will be into a payday earlier than expected if he keeps going how he is.

TBs having a great year, but I don't particularly like getting squeezed for bumping his pay.

Players want certainty and insurance so they get rewarded with extra years on the contract. We offered him that, at an agreed rate and now that the cap is bumped up he wants his cake and to eat it too?

He is no idiot, and his manager does this as his profession. Both would have known the cap increase was inevitable.

Jake I get, but theres no hurry to review his terms. The fact he wanted more years and we declined has actually worked in his favour given his form. He will be into a payday earlier than expected if he keeps going how he is.
As Reinsdorf said about Pippen at the Bulls when he was complaining about being on unders - "None of them offer to give any money back when they play badly or don't live up to their contract value".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Barass situation and ones like would be delicate to manage as the would - be seller. You want to know a ballpark offer from the other club before you allow the situation and the talks to progress. You need to that the other club were not going low ball you and turn around and offer pick 30 once Barass decides he wants to go. You don't want another club sweet talking a player on your list and getting him set on going if they are going to low ball you and you get stuck between taking a low ball offer or having a disgruntled sulking player on your list.

Crows want petty. I doubt Melbourne part with him without crows 1st involved
High price for Petty. He’s hardly a star.

Barrass is only worth a first according to most pundits on here. No comparison between Petty and Barrass as players.

Barrass takes contested marks, Petty stands on the mark.

Last edited:
Nothing more than there were whispers in Melbourne about it. Now I've heard rumours of OA being poached before, but I just can't remember if it was also the Demons then. Could be a recycled rumour.

Think there was rumours the Dees tried to make a play for him last year as well?

Either way Dees need to pay up big in draft capital if they want to get him, so don't see it happening.

I'd say we are a good chance in 26 for Cochrane. Super early days.

is it pronounced Doug-eeee....or Douuuugeee

Thinking Think GIF by Hey Duggee

Think there was rumours the Dees tried to make a play for him last year as well?

Either way Dees need to pay up big in draft capital if they want to get him, so don't see it happening.

Hard to imagine they would want to include anyone like Rivers in the deal. Doesn't make sense to give up players with where they are at. OA might unlock a flag for them so they can park an early pick or two for that.

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Back