List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a reason TT is rated in the 7-10 range in an even draft though (one that doesn’t have the elite top end of more recent drafts).

If he is worth shaping our whole trade/draft strategy around (I.e. HR last year) then keep 3 and take TT there.

Otherwise, we have holes all over the park, let’s look to improve and if we miss out on one guy who a poster has a man crush on (DS/Sheldrick territories today) then so be it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I dont think the difference in ability is that much between Travaglia and Draper who everyone is so keen on for example.
Id argue Travaglia fits our list needs more than Draper.

In an even draft does it not make more sense to get as many list holes filled as possible, then next year when the top end might be a bit more separated we can go for the best mid possible?

We can make a competent midfield that could last us a few years with cheap moneyball recruiting.
We will struggle to do that with the backline

I think at least one of those late picks will turn into a mid of some sort from another club, but looks good I dont mind it.

My only concern is if this leaves us starting to get too many kids?
Sounds like a weird concern but adding 6 or 7 teenagers to a list thats already so young, then at least 4 more next year is almost going too far in that direction imo.
I dont think its quite necessary to go that hard at getting kids, especially when so few are from the early parts of the draft.

Almost better off recruiting some cheap players instead of the late picks, and trying to move up the order a bit more imo
2 KPDs need to develop ahead of mids. Gov not far from retirement, Bazzo and Jamo more likely to not make it than make it which leaves us with HEdwards.

If we can trade some picks for quality established mids for fair value then I have no problem with that, but I doubt we’ll have suitors.

Thats an option too. Im just considering we need a KPD to replace Gov too, and we may be trading for Baker.

If we swapped 3 for 7+24 from the Saints, that gets us Travaglia(7), Tauru/Lindsay(13), a Oliver/KPD(23/24) and Baker(with pick 23/24).

We will almost certainly get a mid with our 1st pick next year, there will be one available. Thats our partner for Harley, if Hewett doesnt come good next year

I do think people here are underrating the impact/importance of a good half back quite a bit

Nah not underestimating. I agree it’s very important and our transition game was terrible but the game is still won in the middle.

Sure Blakey has been great but Heeney, Warner and Guilden make that team.

If you had the choice who are you taking.
Blakey or Heeney?
There’s a reason that 15/20 top rated players are midfielders.

2 KPDs need to develop ahead of mids. Gov not far from retirement, Bazzo and Jamo more likely to not make it than make it which leaves us with HEdwards.

If we can trade some picks for quality established mids for fair value then I have no problem with that, but I doubt we’ll have suitors.
Im thinking the Carrol, Dev, Parfitt types who would cost basically nothing. Peatling the most expensive mid id chase

Agree with KPDs

Im thinking the Carrol, Dev, Parfitt types who would cost basically nothing. Peatling the most expensive mid id chase

Agree with KPDs
Parfitt is free and the other two would be 50+ picks at best. There’s a chance they will both be delisted to create list and cap space, even though Dev is contracted. In this draft honestly I’d still prefer the picks.

Nah not underestimating. I agree it’s very important and our transition game was terrible but the game is still won in the middle.

Sure Blakey has been great but Heeney, Warner and Guilden make that team.

If you had the choice who are you taking.
Blakey or Heeney?
There’s a reason that 15/20 top rated players are midfielders.
Imo with Sydney its Gulden mostly. Shut him down and the Swans lose most of their transition ball. Sydney have their own style that works for them, Gulden tbh brings way too much to their side.

From watching the good teams this year, I noticed they struggle the most when a certain player gets tagged or a certain role is missing. That role is their creative types off half back.
GWS cant do anything without Whitfield. Brisbane were awful after losing Coleman until they put Zorko in the half back role. Geelong couldnt do anything for a period in the middle of the year when Stewart was tagged every week. Dogs the first man tagged in many games was Dale. Freo its Clark. Saints its Sinclair.

We dont have a player on the list that could even play this role.

Imo with Sydney its Gulden mostly. Shut him down and the Swans lose most of their transition ball. Sydney have their own style that works for them, Gulden tbh brings way too much to their side.

From watching the good teams this year, I noticed they struggle the most when a certain player gets tagged or a certain role is missing. That role is their creative types off half back.
GWS cant do anything without Whitfield. Brisbane were awful after losing Coleman until they put Zorko in the half back role. Geelong couldnt do anything for a period in the middle of the year when Stewart was tagged every week. Dogs the first man tagged in many games was Dale. Freo its Clark. Saints its Sinclair.

We dont have a player on the list that could even play this role.

That’s because those players are much easier to tag. It’s easier to tag Guilden over Heeney.
Easier to tag Whitfield over Green.
You saying because teams tag Dale he’s more important then Bont?

Parfitt is free and the other two would be 50+ picks at best. There’s a chance they will both be delisted to create list and cap space, even though Dev is contracted. In this draft honestly I’d still prefer the picks.
Id 100% be going for at least one of them, ideally 2. I dont think we are as far off as some people think, and I think there is a lot of value to be found in those cheap mids.
But fair enough lets see how Clarke feels

Whilst I do see the logic in taking elite mids whilst you're down there's a couple of reasons why I'm not too bothered if we slid back this year and targetted say Travaglia.

The first being I think the ceiling of the top end of the draft is probably lower this year and as a result the difference between first 10 picks and 2nd 10 picks isn't probably as a great as most years.

More importantly however is that our mids get smashed because the game is now played by strength of numbers around the ball and we just don't have enough players willing to run hard all game to assist in this. When 1-2 players inevitably sag off we get burnt on the overlap.

We get destroyed by good HBFers running off our half forwards, we don't have HBFers who take the game on and break lines and we routinely make excuses for our wingers having little impact on the game.

I see adding multiple players who run with the contest providing an option all day improving our team equally as much as adding the ball pig in the middle which I'm sure we will have an opportunity to do next year.

I would be absoutely ecstatic to walk out of this draft having traded 3/23 for picks that allowed us to secure Travaglia and Berry and maybe some steak knives to include in a package for Knobel then took Lindsay with the hawks 1R pick. Add in a solid prospective KPD in Barrat, O'Farrel, Mraz and that would be a very very good draft hand allowing us to focus entirely on CBA mids, who seem to take the least amount of time to be AFL ready, next year.

That’s because those players are much easier to tag. It’s easier to tag Guilden over Heeney.
Easier to tag Whitfield over Green.
You saying because teams tag Dale he’s more important then Bont?
Its 100% not easier to tag Gulden over Heeney lmao.
You tag Whitfield because he provides so much drive, hes the most damaging player GWS have.
Dale is the same. Bont is an annoying player as hes so big and hard to tag. If hes copping a tag he just goes and sits at full forward. Many teams didnt even bother tagging Bont in the first place, they went to Dale, Treloar or Richards instead

free agent

Very Funny Laughing GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And they didn't win the premiership. Frankly, I think they had a fortunate year, overperformed and will fall away again next year.
I dont think they need an elite mid, they have their own gamestyle with no real weaknesses all over the ground, aside from their inside mids. Theyll add Bailey Smith anyway which will help fix that

Love it. Absolutely love it. “If you ignore the bits of your post where you’re right, you’re wrong. You egomaniac, I bet you’ll need to have to last word. So if you try to defend yourself you’re clearly an egomaniac.
Better stay silent and let me get the last word. But that doesn’t make me an egomaniac, no. That’s only reserved for you. Because you clog up threads by <checks notes> responding to people who chime in and attack you when they weren’t even involved in the discussion to begin with, and then dig in. You’re the one clogging it up. Not them. Not me.”

Well let’s see if your ego forces YOU to reply and have the last word. Because it will be. Because I’m done here. Completely.
Looks like we are off to a great off season.

:$:$:joycat:

Ciao Im Out Of Here GIF by Achiloid

Monday Adam GIF

If we can turn Darling into 58, then into Dev or Garcia.

Bring in Parfitt for free.
I think the need or rather the clubs desire for Baker is diminished.

I'd seriously look at splitting 3, either with Tigers or Gold Coast for 6 and 20 or 21.
Whilst I'd love Draper, getting an additional pick in the 20 range could be really valuable.
6 will still net a top tier player, and I think Lalor likely to be there. If he's not, someone else has slid through or could take TT here.
6, 13, 21, 23 would set us up.

If we could target realistic positions of need in those spots, would be great:

• Talented mid (obviously with earliest pick)
  • KPD, Tauru, O'Farrell or M.Whitlock
  • Half back, Oliver, Allan
  • Then just a best available, Moraes, Hynes etc.

Parfitt as a delisted free agent makes sense. We are light on for midfielders so tick. There is a chance we pick up band 5 for Rotham (after our R3) circa pick mid 40’s, it would really help so happy to not have the offset. Taking Graham would mean we lose any chance of Rotham compo. Not much gained or lost between the 2. Parfitt faster but Graham more consistent

I’m with you on liking 6. There are 7 high end midfielders- Smith, Langford, FOS, Smillie, Draper, Murphy Reid and Lalor and they are all players I would be happy to see as Eagles. Murphy is questionable with his reported reluctance to move interstate but that still leaves 6. I have preferences but all offer something

Will Travaglia be there at 13? Great if he is but we get a similar positional skill set with Oliver or Allan at 20. Take a tall at 13 or go Lindsay or Berry.

Likewise Gross or Hynes or Moraes at 21 are good midfielders.

At 46, there will be KPDers available as well.

We could take to the draft
46 (Rotham compo)
58 (JD trade)

Maybe even package up 46, 58 and 60 to trade with the Suns pick 37. If Champion bid comes before 40, let it slide. Otherwise we go into minimal deficit next year

We take into 2025 a full hand plus the Hawks sweetener. And since we will have salary cap space, pay more with Hawks and Barrass and see if we only have to give back a F3 if gaining their F1

Its 100% not easier to tag Gulden over Heeney lmao.
You tag Whitfield because he provides so much drive, hes the most damaging player GWS have.
Dale is the same. Bont is an annoying player as hes so big and hard to tag. If hes copping a tag he just goes and sits at full forward. Many teams didnt even bother tagging Bont in the first place, they went to Dale, Treloar or Richards instead

Disagree, it’s easier tagging outside players imo. Harder to tag players that hunt the ball and win contests.

Anyway my point remains.
Essendon put Martin back, Lions put Zorko back. Hawks found Massimo. You can be creative to find some run off half back. I don’t think we need to use a top 5 pick when we are crying out for mids.
Yeo needs to transition out of there as he provides nothing away from the contest and to help preserve him for 3 years. Kelly is a terrible kick under pressure. Ginbey has already moved out of there. So you’re relying heavily on Hewett to come good. Harley will eventually buckle under the pressure of carrying our whole midfield and being tagged every game.

Fingers crossed there is something to this.
However, Essendon don't have much draft capital this trade period (Picks 8, 28, 82) so I'm not sure what would get this done?

Future 3rd or possible fringe player in return?

View attachment 2123410
Tell the Bombers to pay Rotham Band 3 (pick 24) and we’ll then trade pick 24 and 59 for 28 and their F3. We’ll get the points for Champion match out of the Darling trade.

Means they have enough points to use pick 8 in the draft then match any bid on Kako from pick 13.

Means we trade Josh Rotham and pick 59 for pick 28 and Essendon F3 WCE_phil

6-TT
13-Lindsay
18-Hynes
28-O’Farrell/Mraz
42-Johnson
59-Champion match
64-Dennis
Baker

Your suggestions at pick 28 make me very nervous.

Both O'Farrell and Mraz have serious durability concern's:

• O'Farrell just cant stay on the park as he seems to be very injury prone.
  • Mraz has a serious foot injury.

These two will be high risk high reward, type picks and I don't believe that for where we are in our rebuild, that theses type of injury prone players should be considered.

Other than pick 28 I do like the players that you suggest. :thumbsu:

For the record I am one of those that rate Tauru, I think he has a lot of the tools necessary for the modern game, I guess the question regarding him is just where would his best position be in the AFL.
Personally I see him as playing a role like Jack Crisp at Collingwood.

Disagree, it’s easier tagging outside players imo. Harder to tag players that hunt the ball and win contests.
Depends on the outside player. Gulden is not a normal player
Anyway my point remains.
Essendon put Martin back, Lions put Zorko back. Hawks found Massimo. You can be creative to find some run off half back. I don’t think we need to use a top 5 pick when we are crying out for mids.
Yeo needs to transition out of there as he provides nothing away from the contest and to help preserve him for 3 years. Kelly is a terrible kick under pressure. Ginbey has already moved out of there. So you’re relying heavily on Hewett to come good. Harley will eventually buckle under the pressure of carrying our whole midfield and being tagged every game.
Theres no Massimo on the trade table this year unfortunately. If there was id be advocating for us to go get them.
Martin was a ball butcher, id really hope we have our sights set on something better than Martin as our distributor.
Martin got kicked out of that role later in the season when Ridley came back into the side and they realised it wasnt going as well as theyd have liked.

Yeo will be a mid again next year, whether we get an 18 year old wont change Yeos role. Itll be mature age mids that can allow Yeo to play a different role.

I dont think you quite understood where I was coming from.
We need mids, and we need wing/half backs. We can draft an elite mid or an elite half back this year, and we can draft an elite mid next year(we dont know about a half back).
We can likely find enough cheap mids in trades that will make us competitive and get us by for a couple of years, there are no such defenders on the market.

Its either draft an elite mid and have 0 depth in the backline, or draft defenders while trading in mids so we have depth all over the ground.

Im not saying we have to do anything, or that any option is better necessarily, im just presenting an argument for a different option that seems to have been dismissed by the majority of Eagles fans

On Baker - If we want to be a powerhouse club again & how tough it is these days to get a good draft hand I suggest we retain or better our first and second round selections at all costs and actually USE THEM.

Baker will be in his 30s in our next window - I don’t give a flying fk how good a club man he is or if he’ll improve our results slightly (and hold out another likely teenager) in the meantime from age 27-30. Just don’t bother picking him up, Mitch!

Tell the Bombers to pay Rotham Band 3 (pick 24) and we’ll then trade pick 24 and 59 for 28 and their F3. We’ll get the points for Champion match out of the Darling trade.

Means they have enough points to use pick 8 in the draft then match any bid on Kako from pick 13.

Means we trade Josh Rotham and pick 59 for pick 28 and Essendon F3 WCE_phil
I like this thinking and before posters go on about Rotham being a FA, so were Tarrant (Norf to Tigers) and Gunston (Hawks to Lions) and the clubs colluded on an unnecessary trades to ensure the FA compo was not lost. Take our turn at the AFL hand out well and let our trade partner join us.

Assuming we do the salary pick purchase with Hawks of Barrass with $400k of salalry paid for 2 years plus F3 for 13 and F1. I would then go to Suns and see if they would trade 20 for Hawks F1

The trade hands of
2024 - 3 13 20 23 28 and 60
2025 - F1 F2 Dons R3 and F4

Your suggestions at pick 28 make me very nervous.

Both O'Farrell and Mraz have serious durability concern's:

• O'Farrell just cant stay on the park as he seems to be very injury prone.
  • Mraz has a serious foot injury.

These two will be high risk high reward, type picks and I don't believe that for where we are in our rebuild, that theses type of injury prone players should be considered.

Other than pick 28 I do like the players that you suggest. :thumbsu:

For the record I am one of those that rate Tauru, I think he has a lot of the tools necessary for the modern game, I guess the question regarding him is just where would his best position be in the AFL.
Personally I see him as playing a role like Jack Crisp at Collingwood.
Mraz I’ve been putting an * next to his name with almost every post but left it out on this one, my apologies. I share your concern but his CT has been reported as having shown the injury completely healed. Drafting him would only happen with a full view of his most recent CT and MRI. His athleticism is the perfect foil for HEdwards.

HOF had a lateral ligament complex injury which if treated properly normally means 2-3 months out so it’s not surprising he’s missed a lot of the season. I’m not aware of previous injury concerns? Pick 28 will end up late 30s and I’m happy to pick him in that range. The Whitlocks do nothing for me and are almost certainly gone by then.

Yourself and others whose draft analysis I value seem to rate Tauru higher than I do. I feel we’d most likely recruit him to play a tall defender role, for which I feel he is undersized. I hadn’t considered him for a Jack Crisp role, what attributes about Tauru have lead you to that view?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back