List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I am happy to disagree with you and your soul mate the Cornholer.

Melbourne were coming hard and as we know, a contract with a year to go mean very little. Would you have been ok trading Waterman for pick 4?

You and the Cornholer have no idea on what had been agreed in a handshake 12 months ago and you have no idea what incentives are in the contract

Meanwhile, the Cornhole hard nosed approach is really going to get our young brigade ready to sign up early.

Win the war not the battles
5years - not a risk at his age. Top 5 goal kicker in a very poor team - so a reasonable forward with currency. $1m - well its a guess to start with - but if front ender isn almost average in the later year. Fits well with our list of emerging talent.

What a garbage comment about HR- he will be on well over $1m and the world knows it.

The Corn and King are correct

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I knew Kane wouldn't let us down. ;)

He obviously just doesn't care that he is painting himself as one dumb campaigner.

He just keeps on going.

How hard is it to understand that players regularly agree to extensions with a year to run on their existing contract. It isn't abnormal or clubs being nice. It's how professional clubs operate.

Read that it is heavily incentive based. Perform like 2024 every year and you get well paid.

Presume Kane didn't bother doing much research before dribbling his agenda yet again.

Josh Weddle?
Yeah pretty good comparison.

I guess a difference would be that he’s gone to the midfield and pushed forward late in the season and has played probably at an even higher level. He was solid when he was down back playing more as a key defender but really grabbed hold of games later in the season.

I'm with cornsey in this one, i suppose the eagles are going to trade him next year knowing that they will have pay overs as he has a long term contract. Sneaky eagles i was wondering why they would be so dumb as to give him this huge contract.

Should have all players on $1, one year deals. If they won’t play for the honour of this famous jumper then we don’t want them. Really simple equation.

That’s how half of you sound, fyi.

Really unsure why people have an issue with this deal, heavily front ended, performance based. Let's back him to continue the form and if he does this will be a bargain for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really unsure why people have an issue with this deal, heavily front ended, performance based. Let's back him to continue the form and if he does this will be a bargain for us.

Heard Ryan Daniels explain it this morning on radio as front loaded the first 2 years at around or just above $1m. It then tapers off a fair bit but with incentives that, if met, will mean the contract will earn him in the region of $4.5-5.0m over 5 years

To me, that’s a well structured deal. Gets most of the money paid early when we have the cap space but keeps him interested later in the deal with performance based incentives

He’s 26, in his prime and proved himself to be one of our most important players

Only an idiot would take issue with the contract

Heard Ryan Daniels explain it this morning on radio as front loaded the first 2 years at around or just above $1m. It then tapers off a fair bit but with incentives that, if met, will mean the contract will earn him in the region of $4.5-5.0m over 5 years

To me, that’s a well structured deal. Gets most of the money paid early when we have the cap space but keeps him interested later in the deal with performance based incentives

He’s 26, in his prime and proved himself to be one of our most important players

Only an idiot would take issue with the contract
Are you calling the Cornholer an idiot?

I am happy to disagree with you and your soul mate the Cornholer.

Melbourne were coming hard and as we know, a contract with a year to go mean very little. Would you have been ok trading Waterman for pick 4?

You and the Cornholer have no idea on what had been agreed in a handshake 12 months ago and you have no idea what incentives are in the contract

Meanwhile, the Cornhole hard nosed approach is really going to get our young brigade ready to sign up early.

Win the war not the battles

Pick 4? I would have driven him to their airport, packed him some sandwiches and even given him a bottle of water..

Considering last year we wouldn’t have gotten pick 104 for him it’s a win/win…

I’ll back he never repeats what he did this year the rest of his career … if he does, that’s good to

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

$5000 for every time he makes a opposition full back look silly

Hopefully he's not an incentive every time he makes Kane Cornes look silly. We might blow the salary cap.

Looking at the HUN annual ranking of top 40 under 24.

Here is the list
View attachment 2122208
Points of reflection
  1. 75% taken in first round (I used up to pick 20 as the cut off)
  2. 45% taken top 10
  3. 33% taken top 3
  4. 18% taken as a rookie/MSD
  5. 15% compromised (F/S, NGA or Northern Academy)
  6. Norf and GWS were gutless not selecting the obvious number 1 at 1 (Daicos and Ashcroft) but well done Crows with Jamarra)
  7. No R3 or R4 picks
Note to club - we need to nail the R1 picks and especially the pointy end ones.

Newcombe MSD
De Ambrossio MSD then traded for a 3rd rounder
Nick Martin Rookie
Chad Warner pick 39 was it,?

So 10% came 3rd round or later or MSD.

Why does Matt Whitlock never get mentioned as KPD option? Should be around 23.

199cm mobile, good in the air, one on one defending and provides rebound.
I’m not a big fan. Good in the air but fumbles a lot, wasn’t overly impressive at the champs going up a level. Also there’s no standout KPFs he’s had to play on. Don’t want to comment too much on the game here I saw live vs WA as the ground was in such shocking nick.

Is there something you’re seeing live that isn’t evident on TV/streaming?

The race to avoid last might be more interesting than the race for first.

Culley, Hobbs, Sheldrick and the biggest lmao of them all, Prestia is such a piss take

The things people do to land a free ticket to the GF.

Canadian Wow GIF by DJ Khaled

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back