List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:

This article seems to suggest Dev and Carroll may look to return home, that makes it 4 players that we will potentially be interested in including Baker and Graham. It will be very interesting to see how many we actually delist/trade and how many picks we take to the draft.
Dev and Caroll arent any good, Garcia and Sheldrick are the ones we should be targetting

I think he definitely can be, I just don't think he'll necessarily start there. He might start as a winger or mid sized defender, then as he continues to build his tank and size go into the middle, like Yeo or Duggan have done.
The duggan comparison isn't a glowing endorsement

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Noticed a few people putting a line through Ledwards, head trauma retirement mainly.

Heard him on the radio on the weekend in an interview and he definitely didn't sound like someone retiring.
Talked about how much he loves it here and how he wants to be part of the rebuild with all the other young guys in the club. loves his golf as well. Talked about the camaraderie among the young playing group and how they want to take the club forward.

Not sure if it was front or not but as I say it didn't sound like he expected to not be here next season.

Noticed a few people putting a line through Ledwards, head trauma retirement mainly.

Heard him on the radio on the weekend in an interview and he definitely didn't sound like someone retiring.
Talked about how much he loves it here and how he wants to be part of the rebuild with all the other young guys in the club. loves his golf as well. Talked about the camaraderie among the young playing group and how they want to take the club forward.

Not sure if it was front or not but as I say it didn't sound like he expected to not be here next season.

Poor guy probably can't remember his exit meeting.

An excellent performance that proved Hamish Davis has what it takes to make the step to finals footy and not just meet the level but thrive. Playing his typical high half forward role, his tank and work rate was a feature as was his ability to play at high pace with clean hands. He might have had even more than 4 goals in this game if he hadn't missed a couple of gettable opportunities, a reminder that his variable kicking technique is the one thing that might hold him back from shooting up into first round contention even with his late season surge in form.

When will delisting's be announced surely they have worked it all out from the exit meetings last week.
it's not that straight forward. It will depend on how many good picks we have.
Are we bringing in Baker, Graham and somebody else.
Is Jack Darling going to North Melbourne.

An excellent performance that proved Hamish Davis has what it takes to make the step to finals footy and not just meet the level but thrive. Playing his typical high half forward role, his tank and work rate was a feature as was his ability to play at high pace with clean hands. He might have had even more than 4 goals in this game if he hadn't missed a couple of gettable opportunities, a reminder that his variable kicking technique is the one thing that might hold him back from shooting up into first round contention even with his late season surge in form.

Ok, I want this guy with the Barrass first pick now. Clean hands, good size, good speed, accumulates at will and hits the scoreboard. Shifter compared him to a young Fyfe but that’s obviously a disservice to Davis who’s a much better shot at goal 😉

If he isn't retiring, he's getting delisted.

Not at all straight forward.
A case in point is Josh Rotham. He is a free agent and we are likely going to see what the trade period throws up.
If we don't get a free agent and somebody wants to pick Rotham as a ufa we will get a compo pick.
With three draft picks for this year you would expect we will hear shortly the first three delistings.
Some players will be sweating till trade week is over to find out their fate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vaguely possible he gets de-listed and rookied. Personally, I think it would be a waste, even for a rookie spot. His main strengths point to being an inside mid or a small defender. But with a track record of concussion, those aren't great positions to be playing. And he lacks the pace to be a winger. Just don't see where he fits in the side.

it's not that straight forward. It will depend on how many good picks we have.
Are we bringing in Baker, Graham and somebody else.
Is Jack Darling going to North Melbourne.
The club usually doesn’t announce delisting in one hit. They some time do one post season and some after the trade period too

I believe this has been asked but couldn’t find it amongst all the hand wringing about picks.

Is his general field kicking alright? The ball drop and set shot process looks very odd, but some players are perfectly useful field kicks with strange set shot routines/actions.

I know you’ve said it’s the one thing that might hold him back, but is that putting an emphasis on process or results - e.g. a purist scouting him would mark him down albeit they still get where they need to go.

Vaguely possible he gets de-listed and rookied. Personally, I think it would be a waste, even for a rookie spot. His main strengths point to being an inside mid or a small defender. But with a track record of concussion, those aren't great positions to be playing. And he lacks the pace to be a winger. Just don't see where he fits in the side.
Reminds me a lot of the team back in 2008-2011, heap of players like Tim Houllihan, Tom Swift etc., that thought had potential, but realised they were just getting stats because they were getting games, and would never be able to lift those stats from the ~12-16 touches a game into the 20+ you need as a midfielder.

If we don’t delist him we have genuinely lost the plot.

I believe this has been asked but couldn’t find it amongst all the hand wringing about picks.

Is his general field kicking alright? The ball drop and set shot process looks very odd, but some players are perfectly useful field kicks with strange set shot routines/actions.

I know you’ve said it’s the one thing that might hold him back, but is that putting an emphasis on process or results - e.g. a purist scouting him would mark him down albeit they still get where they need to go.
His field kicking isn't great. Feels a bit too "loose" for want of a better word. Like he's not fully in control of where the ball ends up.

Disposal efficiency for each of his 4 champs games:
Game 1: 42.1%
Game 2: 75%
Game 3: 62.5%
Game 4: 66.7%

His field kicking isn't great. Feels a bit too "loose" for want of a better word. Like he's not fully in control of where the ball ends up.

Disposal efficiency for each of his 4 champs games:
Game 1: 42.1%
Game 2: 75%
Game 3: 62.5%
Game 4: 66.7%
Cheers. Some of the kicks in that package looked like really high level vision and awareness, but the kicks themselves floated or didn’t quite hit. Looked fairly blustery given some of the general disposals by teammates too, so didn’t know if that was isolated.

Thanks as always.

What do you think GC will get from Adelaide for Lukosius and would there be a trade scenario involving WC?

Potential scenario
Adelaide give pick 4 and get Lukosius and WC pick 23
Adelaide go to the draft with picks 23 & 25

GC give pick 6 & Adelaide pick 4 and get picks WC 3 & F3 (F2 at worst-case)
GC use pick 13 & 20 & WC F3 on Rioli and Noble

WC give picks 3, 23 & F3~F2 and get picks 4 & 6
WC go to the draft with pick 4, 6 & 12 and use F2~F3 on trade for one of Baker or Perryman etc
(Assumes Hawks give picks 12 & F1st)

The trade values line up😀.
Values Lukosius at pick 13
Get in front of any Lombard bid
Leaves WC with earlier picks but nothing before 59

What do you think GC will get from Adelaide for Lukosius and would there be a trade scenario involving WC?

Potential scenario
Adelaide give pick 4 and get Lukosius and WC pick 23
Adelaide go to the draft with picks 23 & 25

GC give pick 6 & Adelaide pick 4 and get picks WC 3 & F3 (F2 at worst-case)
GC use pick 13 & 20 & WC F3 on Rioli and Noble

WC give picks 3, 23 & F3~F2 and get picks 4 & 6
WC go to the draft with pick 4, 6 & 12 and use F2~F3 on trade for one of Baker or Perryman etc
(Assumes Hawks give picks 12 & F1st)

The trade values line up😀.
Values Lukosius at pick 13
Get in front of any Lombard bid
Leaves WC with earlier picks but nothing before 59

Lukosius worth a late first rounder at best in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back