List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I just don't think we can take a chance with 'midfield potential '
Would love more hard nuts in the team tho do if he slid maybe

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Allen is still highly draftable irrespective of how developed his midfield game. He’s quicker than Ginbey and while he’s a defensive bullock in tight he’s actually more likely to develop an attacking game with better speed from stoppage and better disposal by foot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’d be interested in understanding what seems to be a slide in rating on Moraes.

At the start of the year he was potential top 5 and he’s had some good games this year. Is there any chance his fall is simply due to lack of opportunity at VIC Metro and he represents incredible value at say a pick 20?
For me it is speed of decision making and accuracy that would make him lower on my board

why is everyone so keen to ship off pick 3?

For arguments sake I’d take Travaglia, Allen, Lindsey & Davis in our first 4 picks over Draper, Lindsay & Davis.

Depends entirely on what’s coming back but it’s possibly a smart move.

Allen is still highly draftable irrespective of how developed his midfield game. He’s quicker than Ginbey and while he’s a defensive bullock in tight he’s actually more likely to develop an attacking game with better speed from stoppage and better disposal by foot.

He's not quicker then Ginbey. He does not hold a candle to Ginbey athletically.

Ginbey tested top 10 for both speed and endurance.

Bo Allen is a third tall defender in the mould of better josh rotham.

I'd go as far as saying I had more faith in Ginbey making it as a mid then Bo Allen.

I'll wait for Bo Allen combine but I lol if he even gets close to Ginbey

Good call as IMO it’s insanely difficult to know how this years draft will flow and many of the cohort will go latter than the group think has them and there will be some absolute bolters.

I think Davis will only come off the board once the second tier group of talls has been tapped into.

I don’t rate this years talls cohort that highly- I best elaborate what I mean by that- There are IMO no dead set standout talls of the Walters / Amiss / Tilthorpe standard.
But there are plenty of worthy second string taller players.
Players like Trainer who are just not quite tall enough to be genuine KPP as I rate Trainer as a third tall and not a KPD.
Quite a few around the 193 - 196 range but very few at the 200 cm range ( Except Whitlock x 2) that will command a first round pick.
Armstrong being the first genuine KPP taken and he is only 195.

The depth and value in this years draft is in the 186- 192 height range players that have versatility and a good ground ball games, plus are competent in the air.
And those half a dozen that have good foot skills on top of that, will be highly sought after early in the draft.

Davis has a similar valued skill set to quite a few others in the cohort, none of which are identical to each other, rather they have a slightly different mix of skills.

Who and just when they are taken will most probably be significantly influenced by what Clubs have already traded in AND picked up with earlier picks in the draft.

His type tend to be picked up as a third need of a Club, so if they have prioritised a tall and the board is rapidly running out of talls, he could get passed over because all things being equal - you always take your talls first.

The beauty of this draft is that there should be a good spread of player types,
whereas in some previous drafts, some positional groups get a run on earlier than their talent actually warrants it.

Always an interesting watch point, in any draft, just when the run in ruckmen and second / third string KPP’s kicks in.

The other point of difference in this years cohort is that there really isn’t any standout and at this point of time any of six players could feasibly go pick 1.

So team needs and how a players skill set compliments the rest of a prospective Clubs list and positional group, I suspect will determine just how the first dozen picks come off the board.

In a few years time I suspect that we will look back on this draft and scratch our heads and ask, how the hell players a b and c made it to the third round.

This is the most topsy/ tervy draft cohort that I can remember.
I feel it will be an entertaining watch.
That's why trading out guys like darling or BWilliams could help this year more than most

He's not quicker then Ginbey. He does not hold a candle to Ginbey athletically.

Ginbey tested top 10 for both speed and endurance.

Bo Allen is a third tall defender in the mould of better josh rotham.

I'd go as far as saying I had more faith in Ginbey making it as a mid then Bo Allen.

I'll wait for Bo Allen combine but I lol if he even gets close to Ginbey
There's a huge difference between the speed these guys show off field and how they play on field. From his play you wouldn't know ginbey is so fast

Yes but it's hard to measure play speed on field. So that's why you base it off the combine. I mean how can one measure speed on field accurately. You can use your eyes to judge but that's very subjective.

Also the subjective judging need to factor in increased temp in afl.
It gets measured like anything else on field. Maybe not in juniors but it does in the afl. Last time I saw it mentioned for the eagles I think gov was the fasted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And yet if we were interested in splitting pick 3 in a totally seperate deal guess which club would likely be involved and interested?

Richmond.

So we may not split pick 3 for Baker.

But we may split pick 3 with Richmond.

And the Baker deal gets caught up in the swings and roundabouts and later minor pick swaps.
I don't think it's the year that anyone will want to be splitting.

It's best put as: the best player this year would go at say #8 in any other year.
But there are 10 guys at that same level.

There's no Cadman, no top level WA/SA prospect to keep in home states as secondary decisions that could sway things.

In fact if we could manage to split 3 and even add something to get two shots within this bracket we should 100% do it and start the car.

Haven't heard anything about Jagga being a potential flight risk.

Played juniors with Harley and has been the most consistent mid at all levels this year.

Can't go wrong with Smith or Draper. One plays like Butters and the other like Serong, either of which would be really nice.

Harley/Hewett/Draper or Smith as a starting midfield roving to a decent ruck could actually be something worth watching during these rebuilding years.

MWT saying Wade Derksen will be on the move. WA teams and Dees are trying to get him. More likely Vic atm.

Leek Aleer planning on staying one more year to see how it plays out.

Montgomery as coach might have a few followers.

Suns losing a heap of rookie spots they had given as concessions a few years ago.

So hard to predict but I recon the opposite...Something like below

1. Jagga
2. O'Sullivan
3. Draper (Adelaide via trade WCE)
It'll be interesting... Draper less of a risk coz of his attributes... Jagga just seems small... Although agile

I'd be happy with Draper followed by smilie although i think both will be gone... Jagga next

O'Sullivan always seems too injured for a top 5 pick

I’d be interested in understanding what seems to be a slide in rating on Moraes.

At the start of the year he was potential top 5 and he’s had some good games this year. Is there any chance his fall is simply due to lack of opportunity at VIC Metro and he represents incredible value at say a pick 20?
He tends to pop his kicks too much, gives defenders opportunity to get to the contest he's kicked too.
I heard from my nephews that he's at the canteen at school every day, so has a bit of ill discipline with his standards.
Massive talent though, but just an even draft and if he has a huge finals for Eastern could be around the top 10 again.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back