List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey leave eeyore2018 out of this.

It’s very important to consider the doomsday scenario for every single situation you encounter.

Has a team ever had this many Liams before? How many is too many? What if there are penalties involved for excess Liams.
If there are too many Liams next year and they keep getting beaten badly it will be a clear case of Liams to the slaughter.

Nah yuck.

Blues and Hawks are contenders next year. Their F1s could be 20+ after academy bids etc. That alone isn’t good enough let alone also losing our F2.

They could be, but its unlikely they both make the GF.

Eagles want 2 first rounders / Hawks only wanted to pay 1 first rounder with a third rounder. In between is where it will probably land.

So we refused pick 14 for Barrass. Surely now we don't let him go unless it's for a top 10 pick in this year's draft.

Wouldn't be keen on trading him for future picks even if it's two future firsts given how poorly next year's crop seems to be rated compared to this year.

Baker I'd be more than happy to see heading to Freo
Wouldn't be keen on trading him for future picks even if it's two future firsts given how poorly next year's crop seems to be rated compared to this year.
Says who exactly?

This draft has some hype around it but no one actually will know for a few years how good it is.

I’ve seen nothing written about how next years draft crop is a poorly rated group.

There are some concerns that the draft might be quite compromised due to academy and F/S selections but certainly from what I’ve seen of the underage talent this year there isn’t a lack of quality.

studying short circuit GIF

catching up on this thread after lunch

I still think Barrass will be gone come trade period. I'm just more relieved we ain't using the pick we got for Barrass to then go to Richmond for Baker. Two of the three clubs win that trade and one gets significantly worse. And you'll never guess judging from the Vic media who gets the raw end of the prawn in that deal.

Look - I know I may be guilty of trying to embed new sayings into the vernacular with regards to the spinning of men’s hats and such….

But you can’t take two existing sayings and just mash them together. It’s rough end of the stick and come the raw prawn. You’ve sucked the meaning out of both there. This has outraged me more than anything else so far this trade period!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who knows if Carlton have any interest in Barrass but if so how about 14 and Jack Carroll ? Gives Carlton their own Gov and Barrass show.

No.

Jack Carroll is worth absolutely **** all. From my understanding he still doesn't even have a contract for next year.

You're basically giving away Barrass for pick 14 again.

Trading barrass for overs and bringing in a top 12 draftee is a win

Keeping tom barrass is a win

Trading tom barrass just to trade it for Baker is not a win its a loss IMO

Who knows if Carlton have any interest in Barrass but if so how about 14 and Jack Carroll ? Gives Carlton their own Gov and Barrass show.
That's worse than 14 and F2 .

Carroll worth pick 62

If we ended the trade period with Graham Dev , carroll and also kept 3 and 26 until draft night i would be pleased

Look - I know I may be guilty of trying to embed new sayings into the vernacular with regards to the spinning of men’s hats and such….

But you can’t take two existing sayings and just mash them together. It’s rough end of the stick and come the raw prawn. You’ve sucked the meaning out of both there. This has outraged me more than anything else so far this trade period!

I always liked "This isn't that hard, it's not rocket surgery"

;):D

Surely Essendon's pick 9 for Hawthorn's two F1s is the play? the Dons have already conceded they have struggled to move up to get ahead of the Kako bid and will instead go down/into next year.

9 to WC for Barrass is pretty much where everything began before the Hawks went on their winning run and blew out their R1.

Says who exactly?

This draft has some hype around it but no one actually will know for a few years how good it is.

I’ve seen nothing written about how next years draft crop is a poorly rated group.

There are some concerns that the draft might be quite compromised due to academy and F/S selections but certainly from what I’ve seen of the underage talent this year there isn’t a lack of quality.
Yeah I liked a lot of the guys in the future's match who are not already linked to a club. Looked to be plenty of talent imo

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back