List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
So unless posters have inside information to clarify differently, the big news is that Carlton have pick 12 and 14 lined up as the main pillars for pick 3.To be balanced, I would probably ask for Carrol to be included or a F3. If they want to offer up both F3 and Carrol, then we may be able to find them some later points picks to match on the Campo twins.

In other years, this deal would have felt like unders. However in this year's deeper draft, it feels OK. Not great, but OK.

Options with pick 3
(a) Keeping 3 - getting one of FOS, Smith, Draper or Lalor
(b) Getting 12 and 14 - drafting 2 of Lindsay, Berry, Allan or Hynes and maybe even a sliding Smillie/Travaglia/Tauru (some of these will be inside 12 but they cannot all be) plus either Carrol or a F3

That in itself is absolutely fine and I think our list is better for it.

What worries me is then handing over 12 or 14 for Baker. So we must not do that. Baker should only be traded for a later F1, and even then I want something back this year.

So, we then do the Barrass trade with Hawks for the 2 x F1 they hold for Barrass plus our F2 going east.

We then do the Baker trade with Tigers, we give Hawks F1 for Baker and get back Tigers 51 and 61.

Overall:
Out: Barrass and WCE F2

In:
2024 Baker Carrol 10 12 51 61
2025 1 x Blues F1

Take to the draft
12 14 26 51 61 63 68

There will be good options a 51, 61 and 63 since these picks are all after the Lions and Suns main holdings for bid matching and will come in by 15 spots

We keep our F1 for a top end mid in 2025. Remember, I see the draft in 2025 as having good talent that will be there in the open draft as well as the Northern clubs having many top end Academy prospects. I value high the top 6 pick available next year but the later R1 picks in 2025 will likely be picks in the 20's.

Forgetting pick 3 in your outs for us.

Can we get a concession test done on Clarke??
What concession type do you reckon he gets - cheaper bus and cinema tickets?

Last edited:
It’s looking like Hawthorn’s offer for Barrass is even worse now

It’s also looking like we think we have to split pick 3 to facilitate a Baker deal

Rhino and Twomey now reporting it confirms this is most likely true

This is shaping up to be an off season from hell
We have a 2nd rounder and a future 2nd rounder .

Why do we have to split 3 ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle or Richmond?
And why is this bullshit but an extremely stupid and lop-sided trade with Carlton isn't?

Fremantle.

It doesn’t make sense - they are offering 10 and 18 for Bolton and chucking in an offer of 11 for Baker - a guy who doesn’t want to play for them?

It’s just not true.

Don’t get me wrong, it’d be great if it was, but it’s not.

Very premature to melt about the Hawks offer reported in that article. It is exactly the offer you would put if you were the Hawks at that point of the negotiations.

I'm sure we go back and say 2xF1s for Barrass and a F3 and eventually it lands on 2xF1s for Barrass and a F2.

Fremantle.

It doesn’t make sense - they are offering 10 and 18 for Bolton and chucking in an offer of 11 for Baker - a guy who doesn’t want to play for them?

It’s just not true.

Haha are you kidding? Bell would love to do this, he'd be walking around with a peacock feather in his cap because he'd think he got one over on us

I flipping hope we dont downgrade pick 3. We need quality not quanity.
While this is true players like Smillie, Reid and Travaglia are still potentially quality and will likely be selected in the 6-9 range.
Our issue is that our draft hand so far this year (Barrass and Baker trades notwithstanding) we have one elite pick (3), one good pick (26) and then nothing for the rest of this draft (a couple of very late picks). Hardly ideal for a rebuilding team.

Team wet sheets are only being proven right. They saw the writing in the wall.
Team wetsheets......lol

Scared Fear GIF by South Park

Panic Lava GIF by vrt

What happened?

Nothing Conan Obrien GIF by First We Feast

Fremantle.

It’s just not true.

I would be delighted if Fremantle snagged Baker in that deal.

🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back