List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t get me wrong I hate the trade as much as anyone

But I wonder if part of our thinking was that if we proved to Hawthorn we could get the Baker deal done without them, it would increase our negotiating power there?

It’s a low percentage play
Nope. It will just show them we are the weak link and deserve to be bullied.

Stinks of impatience and trying to stop the hurt to the bottom line. Seems like we're far less interested in creating a list for our next premiership tilt and more interested in getting back to being competitive in most games without ever reaching the top 4 or bottom 4.

We've blinked. So disappointing.

I am absolutely not excited about Liam Baker. We bent over backwards to get him, he will be judged by fans accordingly.

I just can't even fathom WTF the club is even thinking.

It's impossible to even position that it's an investment worth paying overs to get hold of.

Did the club pay overs for access to an elite talent? A gun of the competition? No, it got L.******.Baker and M.******.Owies...

It reeks of a sugar hit that may help the club onfield over the short term, but will become an albatross around its neck for the better part of the next decade.

Utter madness. 10 wins in 3 years, yet the club still isn't committed to doing a proper rebuild.

Could have so easily just kept pick 3 and walked L.Baker to PSD.

M.Owies is worth nothing. Carlton was about to delist him. T.Dewar is already better than M.Owies.

Completely borked the chance to gain an elite mid in a strong draft to complement H.Reid.

And don't even have enough points anymore to cover bids on M.Champion without going into deficit.

Beyond worst case scenario here - lose T.Barrass and lose place within the top 10 picks...

L.Baker regardless of performance is guaranteed to become a whipping boy with comparisons being drawn against whoever is taken at pick 3.

The new regime has seemingly done everything it can to piss off the club's supporters, aside from trading H.Reid. (Still another day of trading to come however...). This is a very poor start in getting the endorsement of the fans.

The only thing West Coast supporters have been able to hang hopes upon over during this dumpster fire period, is the prospect of seeing new talent come in and develop. This trade kills that hope, which why so many are so angry about it.

The club will also now be inevitably stained as a soft touch in negotiations for years to come.

Why would Hawthorn now bother to up their bid for T.Barrass? The Eagles just rolled over to one of the worst trades ever for questionable gain.

And the club reckons it can get Ch.Warner next year?... It can't even get L.Baker without embarrassing itself.

LbTZ.gif

But I wonder if part of our thinking was that if we proved to Hawthorn we could get the Baker deal done without them, it would increase our negotiating power there?

I think this is what's happened

It's a terrible play but it's the only thing that makes any sense

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw a great comment somewhere, but people need to also look at what Carlton gave up for pick 14, which they used to get pick 3. It has cost them ALOT also.

The entire trade needs be looks at holistically, and if that Carlton F1 which went to Hawthorn is involved in the Barrass deal, then it stands to reason it needs to be involved in the 'idea' of pick 3 for 12, 14 and Owies.

Pick 3 for 12, Carl F1 (at Hawks), Carl F2 (at Hawks), Owies, Baker etc etc. I'm missing details for brevity but it is a cluster**** and I await to see what Barrass can net us from Hawks now
Barrass + 3 for Baker, 12 + 2 x F1 looks fine on paper but that's going to cost at least our F2 to get the second part done. The net trade effectively becomes Barrass + 3 for 12 + 2 x F1, which is still unders.

So considering Hawthorns currency, we are going to have one mid first round pick this year after losing pick 3 and Tom Barrass. How the **** is that a good outcome?

His highlight reels are full of, cherry on the top plays from extra man out, rebounds that he got at the end of others hard work
You could line it up with TK at the cats getting on the end of Selwood/Danger/ablett Jr work

Then they come to us and have to go get the ball and look lost

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

In what way? If anything, this trade shows we are weak negotiators.
As if that wasn't enough we are also giving Carlton late pick sweeteners.
What makes it worse is that those were our 3rd and 4th best picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back