List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t get me wrong I hate the trade as much as anyone

But I wonder if part of our thinking was that if we proved to Hawthorn we could get the Baker deal done without them, it would increase our negotiating power there?

It’s a low percentage play

In a sense you’re right

They used our desire to get the Barrass deal done so we could then get Baker to lowball us

By removing that link, at considerable cost mind you, we are no longer pressured to get the Barrass trade done. Instead, the onus is now on Hawthorn to land a player they promised they could broker a deal for

How firm we stand remains to be seen however and as it stands my confidence that we will is at an all time low

I just can't even fathom WTF the club is even thinking.

It's impossible to even position that it's an investment worth paying overs to get hold of.

Did the club pay overs for access to an elite talent? A gun of the competition? No, it got L.******.Baker and M.******.Owies...

It reeks of a sugar hit that may help the club onfield over the short term, but will become an albatross around its neck for the better part of the next decade.

Utter madness. 10 wins in 3 years, yet the club still isn't committed to doing a proper rebuild.

Could have so easily just kept pick 3 and walked L.Baker to PSD.

M.Owies is worth nothing. Carlton was about to delist him. T.Dewar is already better than M.Owies.

Completely borked the chance to gain an elite mid in a strong draft to complement H.Reid.

And don't even have enough points anymore to cover bids on M.Champion without going into deficit.

Beyond worst case scenario here - lose T.Barrass and lose place within the top 10 picks...

L.Baker regardless of performance is guaranteed to become a whipping boy with comparisons being drawn against whoever is taken at pick 3.

The new regime has seemingly done everything it can to piss off the club's supporters, aside from trading H.Reid. (Still another day of trading to come however...). This is a very poor start in getting the endorsement of the fans.

The only thing West Coast supporters have been able to hang hopes upon over during this dumpster fire period, is the prospect of seeing new talent come in and develop. This trade kills that hope, which why so many are so angry about it.

The club will also now be inevitably stained as a soft touch in negotiations for years to come.

Why would Hawthorn now bother to up their bid for T.Barrass? The Eagles just rolled over to one of the worst trades ever for questionable gain.

And the club reckons it can get Ch.Warner next year?... It can't even get L.Baker without embarrassing itself.

View attachment 2141736

Not gonna go for one last dose of optimism to give us all hope like yesterday Dylan?

In what way? If anything, this trade shows we are weak negotiators.
As if that wasn't enough we are also giving Carlton late pick sweeteners.
What makes it worse is that those were our 3rd and 4th best picks.

Believe me my intention is not to defend the club. But prior to this Hawthorn may have felt we needed to accept a deal for TB to get our own target. Now the onus is on them.

Getting two late firsts for TB wouldn’t be enough to rescue this trade period though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deal officially done. Absolutely horrendous
The Secret Garden Not Today GIF by Turner Classic Movies

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back