List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Taj Hotton - Heard we have done at least 1 home interview with him and his parents and multiple interviews with just him.
Maybe thats why we were ok with the pick slide? Was touted as a top 5 prospect before the ACL injury. Bit of a risk though...

Thoughts on him at 12?

If anything remotely exciting could come of this debacle it'd be drafting Hotton, but given everything rumoured about him, presumably he's one of the guys WCE_phil mentioned as giving big red flags. The interviews probably to ascertain that.

Pivoting, is there anything reliable actually linking us to Allan or is it the usual highest rated WA prospect stuff?

And if the former, can someone give me the sell on why we should be spending our first pick on another low disposal, backwards of centre leaning athlete who might be a midfielder? Would rather spend a cheaper pick on Urquhart, to my eyes is better at a stoppage.

This is a god awful trade, we are correct to be melting and we should be protesting outside of MRP for this shi*ty a*s trade.

The only stupid logic I can see the club making such diabolical decision is the club really really wanted L.Baker and PSD is not an option because Richmond finished below us and plus Baker wanted Richmond to be well compensated otherwise he would've either stayed or go to Freo and the club feels like it doesn't want to miss out on Baker. With Owies, he should've been taken as a DFA but the Blues probably told the club that he was going to resign so the club likely failed to see the bluff so it gave it's two 60s picks (Maybe WCE_Phill can correct me).

As they said, they believe the draft from 3-15 is even is what motivated the club to trade pick 3 otherwise it may have settled with pick 3. IF the top 3 are even and 4-15 are perceived to not be up to the level of the top 3 which isn't the case in this scenario. The club wanted a short term rebuild which is fine UNFORTUNATELY TASSIE WILL COMPROMISE THE DRAFT if the team continues to bottom out, it will not have picks to draft top talent which will force the club into long term bottoming out which could result in H.Reid wanting out if nothing improves.

For those who think M.Owies is Zac Langdon 2.0, Owies is a much better player than Langdon and he will be a great replacement for Cripps and a middle ground for Ryan and Long. Hopefully we don't roll over in the Barrass trade by getting peanuts for a CONTRACTED player to put another layer of sh*it on this trade.

Calm down about Pyke. Whatever was going on he wasn't going to publicly throw the list manager under the bus in the middle of trade period. At least he had the guts to do radio at a time when it would have been easier to just bunker down. Wait and see how it all ends and if it really is a big disaster then give him a chance to fix it and make changes if necessary. If we really do have a pick swap lined up with the Tigers it could easily change the maths (also worth noting that could be later than today).

Early days but I certainly feel a bit sheepish on how bullish i was with Pyke joining the club.

I think we were so desperate for change from Simpson and Nesbitt we were excited for literally anybody.

jurassic park film GIF
Similar things could happen with JW. He’s been away from the club for a while so it may be a good appointment but it feels like we’re just going back to the well with the same stale boys club and then adding guys from the Richmond project that has ended similar to how ours did, rather than start fresh with some new ideas and initiative.

For those who think M.Owies is Zac Langdon 2.0, Owies is a much better player than Langdon and he will be a great replacement for Cripps and a middle ground for Ryan and Long. Hopefully we don't roll over in the Barrass trade by getting peanuts for a CONTRACTED player to put another layer of sh*it on this trade.

10 touches and 2 tackles a week is not a Cripps replacement.

With all this talk of top picks being required for success, I took a look at our 2018 premiership team (+ NN, Shep & Gaff)

Hurn - pick 13
Barrass - pick 43
Schofield - pick 50
Cole - pick 36
Gov - pick 44 rookie draft
Jetta - pick 14 (swans)
Redden - pick 25 (lions)
Yeo - Pick 30 (lions)
Masten - pick 3
Hutch - pick 20 rookie draft
Darling - pick 27
Lecras - pick 37
Rioli - pick 52
JK - pick 4 (carlton)
Cripps - pick 24
Lycett - pick 29
Shuey - pick 18
Sheed - pick 11
Ryan - pick 26
Dungan - pick 11
Venables - pick 13
Vardy - pick 42 (geelong)
NN - pick 2
Shep - pick 6
Gaff - pick 3

I count 11 first rounders (5 top 10), of which 6 are stars (NN, JK, Shuey, Shep, Gaff, Hurn) 7 second rounders. 7 late picks (3rd round and beyond).

We currently have 7 first rounders (2x top 10), 8 second rounders. Remainder of squad taken at later picks.

We're not massively far off the right balance IMO. We have pick 12 this year, potentially 2-3 first rounders next year depending on the TB trade (including a top 10), pick 26. We have some exciting later picks in Long, Maric, Hutchinson, Bazzo, Hedwards, JWilliams.

Calm down about Pyke. Whatever was going on he wasn't going to publicly throw the list manager under the bus in the middle of trade period. At least he had the guts to do radio at a time when it would have been easier to just bunker down. Wait and see how it all ends and if it really is a big disaster then give him a chance to fix it and make changes if necessary. If we really do have a pick swap lined up with the Tigers it could easily change the maths (also worth noting that could be later than today).

My concern is if Clarke has shit the bed as bad as it appears from the outside, replacing him then means we are on the hunt for yet another list manager. Would that be 4 in 5 years or something ridiculous?

Not only is that red flags for potential applicants, but list management is a combination of short, medium and long term plays. Things get thrown out the window if we keep bringing in new people focussing primarily on short term plays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similar things could happen with JW. He’s been away from the club for a while so it may be a good appointment but it feels like we’re just going back to the well with the same stale boys club and then adding guys from the Richmond project that has ended similar to how ours did, rather than start fresh with some new ideas and initiative.

It's interesting how the '92-'94 era boys have so much say in the club to this day.

The '06 boys just don't seem to have the same level of pull in terms of power balance.

? Don would have had to sign off on it. So there is no throwing him under the bus here, that infers no responsibility on his part. He is complicit. No walking away from that one and blaming one of the team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The vision and footage is damning

I respect what Baker and Bolts did at Richmond, but they will have more scrunity and eyes on them in WA in 2025 and I’m not sure how well they perform.

I have seen it. Why not look at how thet performed over their entire time there rather than an awkward awards night speach when everyone there knows your leaving.
Chill and save your outrage.

So out of curiosity, Baker out of contract is pick 14.

What does that make it, in contract? Top 5 pick?

I think the good will gang operate in the understanding that being OOC doesn't significantly diminish a players value as the threat of walking them is not real. Being in contract gives the club the ability to shut down any trade and hold the player, but when they are out of contract you still trade in good faith and pay a player's worth.

Richmond have a massive amount of good draft picks, but don't forget it's because they won the spoon and have half a dozen senior players deserting them.

Do we prefer to be in Richmond's position? Genuine questio n.
Yes . 3 flags and a cleanout before the aged are more off park than on and even all australians form fall off a cliff . I would take it in a heartbeat

The thing is it’s going to be about 5 years before you can actually assess correctly how things turn out in the trade/draft period so I guess people can either whine for the next few years about it which won’t change anything or you can get behind club & players we bring in.
Or the entirety of pick 3‘s career if they are any good

West Coast recruit Liam Baker responds to Eagles fans’ reaction to his trade from Richmond Tigers, I dont think the fans have any issues with the players we brought into the team its the way the club went around it. They know they stuffed this draft so far, The drafting team should be sacked. If you dont melt over what they have done so far you aren't a true supporter​

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back