List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
That’s concerning because wasn’t this around the time last year we started to get linked with Chesser?

I stand to be corrected but my recollection is that it was very late before our links to Chesser were reported on - like within the last week prior to the draft. Maybe as late as only a day or two before

MOMENTUM BUILDING ON ALLAN

Rival clubs believe West Coast may pounce on strong-running midfielder Ed Allan with their first pick as other sides circle this year’s big draft bolter.

The Eagles – who hold picks 8, 12, 20 and 26 – have shown significant interest in the 194cm West Australian, who is the son of former Hawthorn and Fremantle player Ben.
But Carlton (pick 10) also likes the look of Allan, along with the likes of Melbourne (pick 13) and Sydney (pick 14).

Given the Blues’ interest, if the Eagles don’t take Allan at pick 8 he could be off the board by pick 12.

Allan has good size and speed and is a strong runner who was the quickest player over 20m at the national draft combine.

He played limited football this year due to a stress fracture in his back but starred in the five games he played late in the season for Claremont in the WAFL Colts.

West Coast has also been strongly linked to 196cm West Australian key defender Jedd Busslinger at pick 8 and are also believed to be considering South Australian midfielder-forward Mattaes Phillipou and Victorian midfielder Cameron Mackenzie.

From a herald sun article today. Honestly if we get spooked and take Allan at 8…don’t see it happen but lock him in at 13

Fold the club if we take Allan with our first pick

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rival clubs believe West Coast may pounce on strong-running midfielder Ed Allan with their first pick as other sides circle this year’s big draft bolter.

The Eagles – who hold picks 8, 12, 20 and 26 – have shown significant interest in the 194cm West Australian, who is the son of former Hawthorn and Fremantle player Ben.
But Carlton (pick 10) also likes the look of Allan, along with the likes of Melbourne (pick 13) and Sydney (pick 14).

Given the Blues’ interest, if the Eagles don’t take Allan at pick 8 he could be off the board by pick 12.

Allan has good size and speed and is a strong runner who was the quickest player over 20m at the national draft combine.

He played limited football this year due to a stress fracture in his back but starred in the five games he played late in the season for Claremont in the WAFL Colts.

West Coast has also been strongly linked to 196cm West Australian key defender Jedd Busslinger at pick 8 and are also believed to be considering South Australian midfielder-forward Mattaes Phillipou and Victorian midfielder Cameron Mackenzie.

From a herald sun article today. Honestly if we get spooked and take Allan at 8…don’t see it happen but lock him in at 13

Ed Allan at 8 or 12 is an absolutely embarrassing choice. I have no idea why people are so high on him just because he tested well, bloke is a genuine squib

That’s concerning because wasn’t this around the time last year we started to get linked with Chesser?

Hough too, and it happened.

Went back into last years thread to see when we were getting linked to Chesser. This was the first post dated 22/11 that I found - 2 days out from the draft

In the mix: Will the Eagles actually pick here? Sources on Monday suggested West Coast might be happy to trade down the order if they opted for another prospect with dash and dare, with Campbell Chesser linked to the club. A few clubs with later first-round picks are keen to trade up the order, with Darcy Wilmot attracting interest from the likes of Essendon, Port Adelaide, Brisbane and Melbourne. Don’t be surprised the Eagles do a deal here. If they keep their pick though and don’t choose Erasmus, Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, Josh Goater and Josh Sinn would be considered.

past 8 and not like Carlton have a vested interest in who

From a herald sun article today. Honestly if we get spooked and take Allan at 8…don’t see it happen but lock him in at 13 🔒
Chris Cavanagh has had most of the same article up for the past 2 weeks - it keeps getting a slight nudge to pretend it is has substance and current.

I'm totally with you on the intel. I can picture it.

Phone call from Chris to The Pieman:
Chris - What are your thoughts one who the Eagles are taking at 8 and 12?
Pieman - Well like I normally do each year for the past decade, I am going to give you insights into who we are taking and who I want to jump ahead of. There is little to lose if I explain my strategy and tactics so why not help Murdoch sell some more newspapers. Here are my list of 5 players at 8 and 12. Here are who we want at 20 and 26 while we are at it.

Chris - Thanks ROB but if you want Allan (and his season was average but what a combine), I hear Carlton are keen at 10.
Pieman - Thanks for sharing that Chris. We will change our strategy and take Allan at 8 just to screw up Carlton.

Chris - Apparently (and keep this quiet) but Dodoro told me that Essendon are looking at Elijah Tsatas, Mattaes Phillipou, Reuben Ginbey, Bailey Humphrey and recently Elijah Hewett.
Pieman - Thanks Chris, that really narrows down their likely pick.

Ed Allan at 8 or 12 is an absolutely embarrassing choice. I have no idea why people are so high on him just because he tested well, bloke is a genuine squib

Not embarrassing if he turns out elite in a few years. The whole idea picking what consensus mock drafts are is silly. Pick who we think is the best there. So what if we could get the player we rate best a little later, what happens if we miss him!

But agree you would think there are more consistent junior performers (from what I’ve read)

Disclaimer I’ll still melt on draft day regardless who we draft

Went back into last years thread to see when we were getting linked to Chesser. This was the first post dated 22/11 that I found - 2 days out from the draft
I do recall reading tid bits about Chesser being one of a few linked to us a few weeks out. Hough was literally after the last match vs SA.

It just worries me a bit, as I haven't seen anything yet that he's top 20 material.

Also refreshing to see Phillipou and Mackenzie named their too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dyson Heppell was a bolter in his draft year after not playing the U18s.

Also IIRC Taranto was a bolter being on the fringe of the top 10 until about a week out from the draft when Cal hinted that GWS were keen to take him very early.

Finally Cockatoo was expected to be available somewhere between 15-25, however, he had a great pre-GF game and then made a run up the board to pick 10 where Geelong selected him.
Haha Cockatoo, I remember a lot of Eagles fans being super keen on that spud

Not embarrassing if he turns out elite in a few years. The whole idea picking what consensus mock drafts are is silly. Pick who we think is the best there. So what if we could get the player we rate best a little later, what happens if we miss him!

But agree you would think there are more consistent junior performers (from what I’ve read)

If our recruiters rate Allan as the best available at our 2nd pick then fair enough - they’ve seen far far more of the draftees than I have so who am I to tell them they’re wrong

However….

Prior to the combine he was only being talked about as a mid to late 2nd round pick and posters here who’s opinion I value don’t rate him as highly as pick 12. He would be considered a reach

If he turns out to be a jet then our recruiters look like geniuses and will deserve the credit for backing their judgement.

The problem is they’ve gone with less obvious options with other early to mid teens picks (Venables, Brander, Chesser) in the recent past with mixed results. And that’s being kind, mainly because there’s still hope that Chesser comes good

So if they take a risk, they’ll also deserve the criticism if it doesn’t pay off

I do recall reading tid bits about Chesser being one of a few linked to us a few weeks out. Hough was literally after the last match vs SA.

It just worries me a bit, as I haven't seen anything yet that he's top 20 material.

Also refreshing to see Phillipou and Mackenzie named their too.
Going through that thread talk of Chesser was originally with our pick 31 and later based on the possibility of splitting our pick to trade down

That fox article a couple of days out was the first time in the thread Chesser was linked to our first pick

Genuine question and happy to be told there are several good answers to my question: how many late-in-the-year “bolters” (according to the media) actually go top 10 / first round, and how many end up justifying that selection. Thinking of Humphrey and Allan (having seen neither play).
True "Bolters" are rare. Maybe a guy changing codes or improving out of sight for whatever reason.

Most jrs playing top level state football have been in the elite system for at least 2-3 years so there's plenty of opportunity to see them at some point.
From our point of view most of the draft discussions are about the same players which is then repeated ad nauseam. Therefore any new topics of discussion later in the year are seen as coming out of the blue.

Humphrey dominated the first month of the season before missing a large chunk of the year and finishing off well plus the vic champs game. I suspect he would have been on a few radars early on.
Allan was injured until mid july but played colts last year. Plus being the son of Ben it can be assumed that he would have had a good amount of coaching which in theory means limited scope for development compared to his peers.

Going through that thread talk of Chesser was originally with our pick 31 and later based on the possibility of splitting our pick to trade down

That fox article a couple of days out was the first time in the thread Chesser was linked to our first pick
I recall that as well. To be fair think that was pipe dream sort of stuff with us supporters since I remember him being linked to Melbourne at their pick 18 or whatever it was about a month out from the draft

I mean obviously man and I hope he proves me wrong, but I watch a lot of junior footy and Allan does not move me much at all. I think there are several better options at 12, never mind 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back