List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
I'm just gonna take a deep breath and lay out the truth nice and hard for all of you.

None of the players forecasted at Pick 2 are worth risking a rebuild over.

Wardlaw: Worse hammies than even Petch, flight risk that is not as significant as another player I'll mention.

Cadman: A key forward that doesn't suit a club crying out for a good contested ball-winning midfield depth. Question marks about his goal and field kicking.

Sheezel: An overglorified spark player with such a huge flight risk attached to him that it's written into the f*cking MCG turf.

Tsatas: Outside mid with qualities already filled by players like Chesser, Hunt and Hough.

Looking at all of these guys, I'd take Reuben Ginbey and Elijah Hewett any day of the week. Except Sundays, no one better bother me on Sunday.

My $0.02:

Whilst this trade may end up beneficial to us on balance, I believe we are morally obliged to take the elite talent available at those top 5 picks for the sake of the comp as a whole.

We're one of the only non Vic teams who can hold on to our players, so the league are rightly terrified of us nabbing one of those high end picks, as they likely won't be able to get them back in a few years at pennies on the dollar.

If Wardlaw becomes the next elite mid in the comp, North will be seen as a much softer target to pry him from by the Geelong's and Collingwoods of the world than we would be.

We're Robert Walls' Evil Empire, and we owe it to our fans and the comp in general to keep the bastards honest and try to preserve the last remaining shreds of integrity in the game by sticking it up the Vics whenever we get the chance.

Since 2000.

Picks 1-4: Judd, Masten, Naitanui, Gaff.

Picks 5-15: McDougall, Kerr, Sampi, Waters, Butler, Hurn, Brown, Ebert, Notte, Shuey, Swift, Sheppard, Sheed, Duggan, Venables, Brander, Chesser.

Chesser excluded from those previous numbers as he hasn't even played a game yet.

If we are generous and allow both Sheed and Duggan over 200 games the average games for 5-15 remains below 130.

Kerr (18), Butler (20), Brown (16), Notte (20), Shuey (18), Swift (20) shouldn’t be in there.

This year just got a whole lot shitter. Didn’t think that was possible. Pick 2 was the consolation prize. 8 and 12? Super meh. And with the leverage. I know we’ve done well with pick swaps in the past, but this is a massive turd. We should’ve got a future FRP at minimum ontop of 8 and 12…

I agree, but they’ll go Ginbey at 8 and I don’t agree that Ginbey will be there at 12 tbh, he’ll get snapped up 1-2 picks before that

What are your thoughts on Sam Gilbey and Kaleb Smith ?

Also Ed Allan was surprised by his speed but even more with his agility 195cm wingman type,
would he end up there at afl level or would he be a key third backman ?

West Coast and North ripped off.

North should have walked away with an extra first round pick.

West Coast should have got 8, 12, plus two future 2nd round picks, at the minimum.

GWS got what they wanted, with a slight over pay (the Collingwood future 2nd).

Port laughing at everyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needed to be a first instead of the second and I’d be fine with it. This just feels like a passable deal at best and that’s if Port miss finals (which is unlikely given they just picked up 2 best 22 players for unders

So in other news Port win trade week
Awesome Will Ferrell GIF

There’s one bit I don’t understand.

How the * do Port manage to hold on to 33. There’s no way that should’ve been allowed to happen

Take that off Port and give it to us and I’d have been reasonably happy

I wish Port nothing but bad luck for 2023
Only 2023? I’m going until the end of eternity and then whatever comes after.

Also - where’s the Ginbey talk coming from? Last week it was Hewett.

Realistically lads and ladies it’s this - I don’t think it’s all doom and gloom.

It took 8 months longer than all of us in the BigFooty league of extraordinary gentlefolk, but our list is shit. Completely and utter devoid of top end talent outside Oscar Allen. The club finally accepted this.

If we’re being honest - the risk to get it wrong here was high. Cadman looks the sure thing but he’s going at one. Ashcroft could’ve been the other live one had his hand not been promised in marriage to Brisbane. That leaves a potentially Jelly Hamstringed Wardlaw, or a potentially JHF volume two in Sheezel.
We need multiple top end talents to rebuild. I agree we got unders, but they were the hands dealt - Pieman and co decided to play by numbers.

As I type this the club announce it. So feel free to rant to the social media admin now

I reckon it will.

This was a debacle of a season, can we replicate that and have no one lose their jobs?

I don't think so....but hey. I thought pick 2 was golden so what the * do I know.
tThere's almost no way we finish 17th again next year (unless the S&C are even worse). We'll pick all the 'credits' which will leave 'the future' to fill in around the edges and we'll finish mid table. And the club will hail 'the rebound'. Then the next years rinse and repeat.

The West Coast Eagles have secured two first-round selections in the National Draft for the first time since 2007 after completing a complex trade deal today.

As part of a trade that involves the departure of Junior Rioli to Port Adelaide, the Eagles will slide down the draft order, giving up selection two, but receiving picks eight and 12 in return.

The transaction that also engaged North Melbourne and Greater Western Sydney sees the Eagles receive picks eight and 12 as well as a future second and third-round selection while losing Rioli, pick two and pick 40.

It means the Eagles will have four selections in the first 26 before father-son and academy selections are taken into account. It will be one of the strongest hands the Eagles have ever taken into a National Draft.

Also gaining future second and third round selections from Port Adelaide ensures the Eagles have a strong presence in next year’s draft as the club continues to rebuild.

“We are very happy with the outcome of a complex deal,” said National Recruiting Manager Rohan O’Brien today.

“We believe it is an even draft and that we can bring two very talented players into our club with those first-round selections.

“With four of the first 26 selections at this stage of the draft order we are excited about the calibre of young players we can bring into our squad.

“In addition to Jayden Hunt joining us as an unrestricted free agent from Melbourne we believe we are in a strong position to rejuvenate the list.”

Not since 2007, when the Eagles secured Chris Masten (#3) and Brad Ebert (#13) have the Eagles had two first-round selections.

Before that it was Chris Judd (#3) and Ashley Sampi (#6) in 2001 which underpins the reason for the club’s optimism heading to the November draft.

Wow we just traded down... most likely for a players that can't find the ball can't wait for his 9 disposal debut 🤬
We should’ve drafted that Steve hucka bloke when we had the chance.

I am not looking at a trade calculator at all - I agree that the points thing is fantasy land.

I'm going off what the draft watchers have said. There is no Judd in this draft. It is pretty even in the top 15 or so. The standouts all have problems:
-Wardlaw: bad hammies, slightly undersized
-Cadman: can't kick straight
- Sheezle: Flight risk and more cream than the player to build a midfield around
-Tsatas: question if he can win his own ball

With this is mind, it makes perfect sense to get two players instead of one.

A lot of people are claiming we should get more for pick 2 - but why would another club want to trade up so desperately in such an even draft? For all we know, GWS is the only one and that is why we got in on the trade (or they would have just traded for pick 1 with North).

Someone gets it .

IMO there is not a lot of difference between picks 1 and 10.

There is no Rowell, Kelly, or Dacios in this draft.

And no one like Harley Reid.

Some of the slightly better picks this year have, injury * against their names and a couple of the mummies boys will bolt after their first contract.

Best value for money was Cadman when combining him not having either an injury cloud or a go home issue……but he is a KPP and what we are crying out for are midfielders.

We now get a chance to grab TWO.

After a totally crap year we go to the draft with:

Four picks in the first 26….. that my friends is our best draft hand since I was a spring chicken.

Add these picks to:

Chesser, Hough, Bazzo, J Williams and Culley.

The rebuild is well and truely underway.

So I am in the minority here I am quite chipper about our prospect at the draft.

So cheer up folk we are back on an upward trajectory.

Footnote in closing:

One vindictive comment and if you don’t follow the NFL, I apologise, as this will go right over your heads:

Would be nice if we did a “bounty gate” when we play Port and the weed man.
Sean Payton would probably approve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back