List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Before entertaining a split for Pick 1, I think we should be focusing on the trade with TB and Sydney.

Again, I would not entertain the conversation unless their first pick is on the table. In isolation I think it is somewhat acceptable, however being we are cellar dwellers and need quality I'd want their second-rounders too. Assuming TB Salary is 750k, I'd offer to pay 250k for the inclusion of Pick 22, and 500k for the inclusion of both picks 22 and 26.

Now if we're kissed on the dick that will leave us with Pick 1, 19, 22 and 26 .etc

Using the above scenario, and if Norf need something back I would be offering Pick 22 or Pick 26.

Heading in the draft with Pick 2 (Mckersher), 3 (Curtin), 19, 22, 36, 38 .etc

Otherwise just get Harley and go into the draft with our hand and the trade with Sydney Pick 1, 19, 22 and 26 .etc - I am not sold on selling our second-rounds for GCS picks.
You haven't included Sydneys first pick in those picks listed.

I’m genuinely torn at the prospect of Barrass being traded. Over the next 4 years of his contract he stands to be our most important defender and possibly our next captain

With the impending retirement of Hurn we lose a significant piece of our leadership down back and our next most experienced defender, McGovern, has durability issues

Unless Gov reverses his trend of missing games, without Barrass we will be left with the unproven Edwards and the still developing Bazzo as our KPDs. Rotham hasn’t come on as a third tall so our other options are to develop Jamieson and/or Barnett as tall backs

So trading Barrass leaves an undeniable hole. So why entertain a trade?

Our current draft hand is 1,19,36,38,55,57. It’s a solid step in our rebuild, particularly with pick 1, but it’s not turbocharging it with a fistful of top 30 picks

Ideally we should be looking to boost that hand but there aren’t a lot of palatable options. Trading our F1 is a risk and unlikely to realise its full value. We could split pick 1 and give up Reid who is almost precisely the type of player we need but doing so likely leaves us outside of the top 3. The other option, trading up to get the Suns R1 pick, would leave us shallow in the rest of the draft as it would cost us 19,36&38 and that’s assuming that no other club offers a better deal

That leaves us with Barrass. The players we’d be interested in (MacDonald, Warner, Sheldrick) may not want to return to WA even if Sydney were willing to trade them, which is doubtful.

The most obvious, and fairest, trade would be Sydney’s first round pick likely to fall in the 7-10 range. It’s a good pick and if we offered to pay some of TB’s salary we might also be able to squeeze for one of Sydney’s two 2nd round picks (currently 22 & 26)

As others have mentioned, however, that 7-10 range is a bit of a void in the draft for us. We might be better looking to trade down with the Bulldogs (14 & 16) or trade up using pick 19 to get another top 3 pick which only happens if Sydney’s pick is 7 (or better)

If we could go to the draft with 1,14,16,19,26,36,38 that’s turbocharging our rebuild

Before entertaining a split for Pick 1, I think we should be focusing on the trade with TB and Sydney.

Again, I would not entertain the conversation unless their first pick is on the table. In isolation I think it is somewhat acceptable, however being we are cellar dwellers and need quality I'd want their second-rounders too. Assuming TB Salary is 750k, I'd offer to pay 250k for the inclusion of Pick 22, and 500k for the inclusion of both picks 22 and 26.

Now if we're kissed on the dick that will leave us with Pick 1, 19, 22 and 26 .etc

Using the above scenario, and if Norf need something back I would be offering Pick 22 or Pick 26.

Heading in the draft with Pick 2 (Mckersher), 3 (Curtin), 19, 22, 36, 38 .etc

Otherwise just get Harley and go into the draft with our hand and the trade with Sydney Pick 1, 19, 22 and 26 .etc - I am not sold on selling our second-rounds for GCS picks.
What If our pick isn't top 10?

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m genuinely torn at the prospect of Barrass being traded. Over the next 4 years of his contract he stands to be our most important defender and possibly our next captain

With the impending retirement of Hurn we lose a significant piece of our leadership down back and our next most experienced defender, McGovern, has durability issues

Unless Gov reverses his trend of missing games, without Barrass we will be left with the unproven Edwards and the still developing Bazzo as our KPDs. Rotham hasn’t come on as a third tall so our other options are to develop Jamieson and/or Barnett as tall backs

Our current draft hand is 1,19,36,38,55,57. It’s a solid step in our rebuild, particularly with pick 1, but it’s not turbocharging it with a fistful of top 30 picks

Ideally we should be looking to boost that hand but there aren’t a lot of palatable options. Trading our F1 is a risk and unlikely to realise its full value. We could split pick 1 and give up Reid who is almost precisely the type of player we need but doing so likely leaves us outside of the top 3. The other option, trading up to get the Suns R1 pick, would leave us shallow in the rest of the draft as it would cost us 19,36&38 and that’s assuming that no other club offers a better deal

That leaves us with Barrass. The players we’d be interested in (MacDonald, Warner, Sheldrick) may not want to return to WA even if Sydney were willing to trade them, which is doubtful.

The most obvious, and fairest, trade would be Sydney’s first round pick likely to fall in the 7-10 range. It’s a good pick and if we offered to pay some of TB’s salary we might also be able to squeeze for one of Sydney’s two 2nd round picks (currently 22 & 26)

As others have mentioned, however, that 7-10 range is a bit of a void in the draft for us. We might be better looking to trade down with the Bulldogs (14 & 16) or trade up using pick 19 to get another top 3 pick which only happens if Sydney’s pick is 7 (or better)

If we could go to the draft with 1,14,16,19,26,36,38 that’s turbocharging our rebuild
I think Stephens is a possibility. Logan or Schedrick may be a pipe dream.

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Because even with Barrass, the defence still sucks. Yes, he makes us better, but he doesn’t make us better enough to turn down a top 7ish pick for him. He’s not going to be in our team when we’re finally good again and even if he is, he’ll be at the latter stages of his career. He’s the only senior guy with genuine currency.

I’d understand wanting to keep Barrass if he was the difference between winning one game and winning 5-7, but the fact is we’re still arguably the worst team of all time with him on the field.

If we did trade Barrass I wouldn’t be opposed to exploring Mitch McGovern as a low cost short term place holder to play in tandem with his brother

Potentially they could bring the best out in each other but it would have to be relatively cheap in salary and draft capital

Void? What void?

A pick 7 to 10 ends up 11 to 14.

Wilson and Tholstrup will go around that live pick 10 to 14 spot. There are several other decent options for a ruck or kp defender around 10 to 14.

A pick around 11 or 12 would land us a pretty decent player.

Reid and Wilson paiiring would be very nice. Wilson replaces Gaff.

If we did trade Barrass I wouldn’t be opposed to exploring Mitch McGovern as a low cost short term place holder to play in tandem with his brother

Potentially they could bring the best out in each other but it would have to be relatively cheap in salary and draft capital
Yeah instead of one mcgovern on the injury list we can now have you two. At least rehab will be a lot more enjoyable for Jeremy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Sanders ends up in the free market, how do we feel about drafting him instead of Curtin?
Reid and Sanders (via Barrass ect) would be a damn good get.

If we lose Barrass and miss out on Curtin, I wouldn't be opposed to looking at O'Sullivan

7tzm9s.jpg

Void? What void?

A pick 7 to 10 ends up 11 to 14.

Wilson and Tholstrup will go around that live pick 10 to 14 spot. There are several other decent options for a ruck or kp defender around 10 to 14.

A pick around 11 or 12 would land us a pretty decent player.

Reid and Wilson paiiring would be very nice. Wilson replaces Gaff.
So your trading TB for pick 11 or 12 that’s the point Keys is making not pick 7. That’s the void!!!

Heard some Curtin news this morning, the appreciation from a certain club is at high levels and direct touching may have occurred.
No chance he lasts past 3 if a certain club has that along with 2.

I like it. 23 age profile is perfect.

Just hope he is not a campaigner still.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Isnt that what we need more of?

Especially with so many kids coming in. We need a couple of big blokes who dont take a backwards step. Who will throw their weight around and cause some chaos and ball spilliages for the younger lighter players to feed off.

We dont want skinny kids doing that week in week out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back