List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:

Except now we also need KPPs.
Looking at a team like Carlton (eww) you can cover a lot of deficiencies in the KPP dept with quality in the midfield.
Unlike those teams though we would eventually get quality talls but i wouldn't go for them first up.

I know he’s a dickhead, but if Tarryn Thomas is gettable, I wouldn’t mind pursuing him.

We’re too young to get dickheads in the club. So a no from me regarding Tarryn Thomas.

We’re too young to get dickheads in the club. So a no from me regarding Tarryn Thomas.

Lol, that’s fair. He’d probably benefit from going to a more stable club who are performing well.

I'm of the opinion that Simpson doesn't stand a chance unless we have a full cleanout of the post 2018 'cruisers' and broken seniors. The man has embarrassed himself by repeatedly backing them in and being repeatedly let down.

But I'd probably keep Hurn if Barrass goes and we can't find a cheap stopgap. He's an on-field coach, a big body and still somewhat durable. We don't have a lot of options.

Ideally something like -

Retain:
  • Gov
  • Hurn

Retire/Delist:
  • Shuey
  • Nic Nat
  • Gaff

Trade:
  • Barrass
  • Yeo
  • Ryan
  • Sheed (pipe dream)

The above are either broken or inconsistent and neither is good for a rebuilding team. I'd retain Gov and Hurn because one is contracted and we have nothing else.

I’m genuinely torn at the prospect of Barrass being traded. Over the next 4 years of his contract he stands to be our most important defender and possibly our next captain

With the impending retirement of Hurn we lose a significant piece of our leadership down back and our next most experienced defender, McGovern, has durability issues

Unless Gov reverses his trend of missing games, without Barrass we will be left with the unproven Edwards and the still developing Bazzo as our KPDs. Rotham hasn’t come on as a third tall so our other options are to develop Jamieson and/or Barnett as tall backs

So trading Barrass leaves an undeniable hole. So why entertain a trade?

Our current draft hand is 1,19,36,38,55,57. It’s a solid step in our rebuild, particularly with pick 1, but it’s not turbocharging it with a fistful of top 30 picks

Ideally we should be looking to boost that hand but there aren’t a lot of palatable options. Trading our F1 is a risk and unlikely to realise its full value. We could split pick 1 and give up Reid who is almost precisely the type of player we need but doing so likely leaves us outside of the top 3. The other option, trading up to get the Suns R1 pick, would leave us shallow in the rest of the draft as it would cost us 19,36&38 and that’s assuming that no other club offers a better deal

That leaves us with Barrass. The players we’d be interested in (MacDonald, Warner, Sheldrick) may not want to return to WA even if Sydney were willing to trade them, which is doubtful.

The most obvious, and fairest, trade would be Sydney’s first round pick likely to fall in the 7-10 range. It’s a good pick and if we offered to pay some of TB’s salary we might also be able to squeeze for one of Sydney’s two 2nd round picks (currently 22 & 26)

As others have mentioned, however, that 7-10 range is a bit of a void in the draft for us. We might be better looking to trade down with the Bulldogs (14 & 16) or trade up using pick 19 to get another top 3 pick which only happens if Sydney’s pick is 7 (or better)

If we could go to the draft with 1,14,16,19,26,36,38 that’s turbocharging our rebuild
I am looking at the shape of the draft as I have it. This excludes academy and father son prospects which will be paid for by points in between the picks . I have used the basis of Twomey's rankings to make it simple(a couple of tweaks).

I see a clear gap from 1 to 2. That is why there will be so many suitors knocking on The Pieman’s door.

Tier 1 (pick 1)
Harley Reid

Tier 2 (picks 2 to 6)
Watson, McKercher, Curtin, Duursma and Sanders (I elevated Sanders up 2 spots from where Cal had him - hell he might not even be vailable) .

Tier 3 (picks 7 to 11)
Caddy, O’Sullivan, Wilson, Edwards and Murphy.

Tier 4 (picks 12 to 19)
Roberts, Hardeman, DeMattia, Green, Archer Reid, Tholstrup, Sanchez, Calllinan, Lual, Hall and Stevens

What you are advocating is our current hand plus 7 for Barrass and then go either: -

As it stands with 7 and get 1of - O’Sullivan, Murphy, Wilson, Caddy, Edwards (my order of preference)
OR
Trade 7 for 12 and 16 with Dogs (they want to get ahead of the Croft bid) and get 2 of - Roberts, Hardeman, DeMattia, Green, Archer Reid, Morris, Simpson, Freijah, Tholstrup, Sanchez, Calllinan, Lual, Moir, Hall and Stevens (I added possible picks up to 26 and no order of preference done here)

I really want one of Murphy or O'Sullivan so if we missed both, I would regret the trade. I think the value from 15 through to 25 is pretty even so if we were to get both of Sydney's picks, I would hold on to 7

Note that Sydney are likely to need points for Caiden Cleary. I see him as an early to mid second round meaning their picks 22 and 26 are likely to be sold as they will only use up points. Therefore, as part of any Tom trade, I would ask for both 22 and 26 and be prepared to give up other pieces. Sydney will want to get a pick in before Caiden Cleary and have good points for matching him late (they hold 41 and 45). I have Cleary as an early to mid second rounder and Swans will be keen to get at least 1 pick in before him. 19 should do it.

I would offer
Tom plus 19, 55 and 57
for
7, 22 and 26

Closing hand
picks 1, 7, 22, 26, 36, 38
While the concept of holding pick 1 on day 2 is exciting, I would rather slide back 3 spots and pick up 26.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the look of Will Dawson. He was exceptional as a KPD in the u/18 game between VC and VM and looks to have big upside given his growth spurt, height and age. Might be a handy option if we miss out on O’Sullivan and Murphy.

Here’s some info that was posted by FB19 in Davo’s draft thread:

“Height: 200 cm
Weight: 86 kg
DOB: 20/12/05
A tall forward or ruckman who presents very well on the lead as a marking target, Dawson was eye-catching when he booted three goals and took four marks in the first Vic Country trial. He has had a significant growth spurt of 20cm in the past two years, but has maintained that aggression and intensity of attacking ground balls which are usually associated with smaller players. One of the younger players in this year’s draft pool, Dawson does not turn 18 until late December, indicating plenty of upside to come. He has averaged 13.3 disposals and 3.7 marks in a strong start to the season for the Power.”

Here’s Rookie Me Central’s reports on the VC v VM u/18 game:

If we did trade Barrass I wouldn’t be opposed to exploring Mitch McGovern as a low cost short term place holder to play in tandem with his brother

Potentially they could bring the best out in each other but it would have to be relatively cheap in salary and draft capital
McGovern's are never low cost

To those in the know - is jake Rogers worth a look at the swans pick if we get that? He looks like a tough, busy and attacking midfielder going on highlights

He’s part of the Gold Coast Rort

We clearly miss that top echelon of players with pick 7 from the swans . No way Curtin or Watson last then its just academy , rucks and vic metro mummy's boys for the next 6 -8 picks .

Any chance of swapping 7 for 14 + 16 with the dogs ? They will want to trade up before the croft bid

Wilson maybe ? But Hardeman and Tholstrup should be available

If north are getting pick 2/3
I’m asking for 7/22 or 26 from swans for barrass

And ontrading pick 7 and 19 for pick 3 to get curtain

We clearly miss that top echelon of players with pick 7 from the swans . No way Curtin or Watson last then its just academy , rucks and vic metro mummy's boys for the next 6 -8 picks .

Any chance of swapping 7 for 14 + 16 with the dogs ? They will want to trade up before the croft bid

Wilson maybe ? But Hardeman and Tholstrup should be available
O'Sullivan at pick 7?

O'Sullivan > Hardeman and Tholstrup?

It's really simple omg, idk why this thread is still going.

Pick 1 you keep and take Reid, you then trade TB to Sydney for their first, that way we dont need to split pick 1.

Look at ways to get another second rounder and then package our second rounder, ports, sydneys second rounder? for GC 1st pick

Done - pick 1 and 2 x top 10 picks. Not that hard.

O'Sullivan at pick 7?

O'Sullivan > Hardeman and Tholstrup?
Personally I'm not a fan of spending high picks on interstate talls .

They won't want to stick around and develop in the 2nds . Its hard enough for young interstate draftees to move across the country but to stick it out in the 2nds and develop properly and not be playing afl would be tough .

At least if the developing tall is a WA lad he us still around his family and friends.

I would rather take Hardeman and Tholstrup TBH .

Like you I rate O'Sullivan higher I just don't think it works and we have a situation like brander were we are forced to change his position to get him AFL games ruining his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back